Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Walther P99 Has Come to an End

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    The P99AS is one of the coolest-looking, vetted, respected, awesome guns there is.

Fortunately, I bought one back in 2017 and for my hand it was extremely uncomfortable. The lack of grip texture and the weird shaped butt made it feel like it was trying to escape my hand.
    The grip does need some help. Since the grip is so narrow, I've used a Hogue grip sleeve intended for Glocks with mine. Cheap and readily available, and easily sized for the P99 grip with just a simple cut with a pair of scissors, although removing most of the finger grooves does take a bit more work.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I found mine easy to stipple, since there’s really not texture to speak of to remove first, and ended up doing that as well as sanding down some sharp edges on the frame. Also did a mild undercut and cut half the slide stop off. Lots of irreversible modification but I was very happy with the result and enjoyed doing the work. Other than all that all they needed was Dawson sights.

If nothing else it was a great learning experience that gave me the confidence to eventually take a similar approach to any other polymer guns I buy, if any. Which will probably be Glocks, HKs, or Smiths since Walther apparently has no remaining interest in making commercial guns that aren’t fully tensioned striker guns without manual safeties.

What I really want is a PPQ M1 or PDP with a PPS trigger and striker indicator. Basically a better P99QA.

Site Supporter

P99

Designed around 9mm the Walther version was excellent in my opinion

The SW99 in .40 was hot garbage especially as a duty pistol which I was issued briefly

They couldn’t make it through a day long shooting class with out breaking something , especially the sear housing

I would be completely comfortable with the Walther P99 in 9mm

I especially like the paddle style ambi mag release

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I found mine easy to stipple, since there’s really not texture to speak of to remove first, and ended up doing that as well as sanding down some sharp edges on the frame. Also did a mild undercut and cut half the slide stop off. Lots of irreversible modification but I was very happy with the result and enjoyed doing the work. Other than all that all they needed was Dawson sights.

Can you show up a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Can you show up a picture?
    After some more digging this is the best I've found, for now. Pictured with a similarly modified PPS I still have. I used to have better ones (like from when I listed one for sale here...), but I'm terrible about keeping a hold of digital photos.

Undercutting isn't shown well but it was a matter of using sandpaper so that the bottom edge of the trigger guard and the bottom edge of the paddles was one very, very smooth surface. The height difference between the two on a stock gun gave me Glock knuckle. Obviously the slide stop's not pictured at all but that was cutting off the "back half" of it and using a dremel to get a smooth surface.

Name:  P99 Stippling.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  36.4 KB

Thanks for the pic

Since we're posting pictures, my cheap grip solution:

Name:  IMG_20230121_190729_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  40.1 KB

These Trijicon sights were anything but inexpensive (the camera in my phone picks up the front sight quite a bit less well than my eyes):

Name:  IMG_20230121_190711~2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  36.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Since we're posting pictures, my cheap grip solution:

Name:  IMG_20230121_190729_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  40.1 KB

These Trijicon sights were anything but inexpensive (the camera in my phone picks up the front sight quite a bit less well than my eyes):

Name:  IMG_20230121_190711~2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  36.1 KB
    That is a good solution! Brother has one of those grip sleeves on his gen 2 Glock and it’s held up well for him.
    I too have those Trijicons, but it’s time to re-lamp or change them out for something else.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I carried a 99as in 9mm for several years. the decocker always made me feel safe carrying appendix.
    I got out of the gun just about when the 2.0 compact was intro'd.
    Shoulda kept it.

At one point I owned three 9mm full size, a compact, and an early P99 in 40, with a fitted Bar-sto .357sig barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List