Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beretta 80X Cheetah

Oh have I been waiting for this! And count me in as lusting for a .32 conversion and wrap around backstrap-filling grips

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    While I wish it could use original mags, at least the change is for a legitimate reason. I’m really impressed with Beretta.

I do wish there would be a 92 style gun that mimicked the controls of the Cheetah, but I’m still excited about what they are doing.

Looks like a winner. I’m praying it does not have the magazine safety that the legacy Cheetahs had.

(ETA - just checked out the pics on the Beretta site. “Fires without magazine” is engraved on the dust cover. )

I'm curious about the new trigger system.

Adjustable X-treme S Trigger With Skeletonized Hammer

A light, crisp and consistent single action/double action pull. The overtravel is adjustable to shorten the reset to 1mm.

And internals.

DLC Coated Performance Parts

A skeletonized hammer with DLC coated internals for quick and smooth function.

Is this a new direction for Beretta?

The new grip panels look nice and look like they'll strike a nice balance between grippiness and not shredding your clothes/flesh when carried AIWB. It will be good to see one in person to see if that's true or not.

The only negatives I see in the 80X are aesthetic. Something was off and I had to compare it to photos of the 81 linked above to figure it out. The boxed-off trigger guard is reminiscent of something CZ would have produced (e.g. P-07) and lacks the classic "finger-groove" or rounded shape. It just doesn't seem to fit with Beretta's design language. The second thing that bothered me visually is the the Picatinny rail. The traditional 80-Series dust cover stops just behind of the "scallop" where the slide widens. On the 80X, it starts forward of it. The combined effect of the two give the 80X a boxy appearance where the original lines flowed.

@Ben_G The 80X looks like a win for Beretta. It's clear Beretta is paying attention to the US customers and it shows in your products. Please let your pistol product manager and the rest of the folks back at the office know that we recognize and appreciate what they're doing.

On the topic of Berettas for serious purposes, I'm looking forward to the 2nd gen of the PX-4.
    Last edited by oss117; 01-15-2023 at 09:05 AM. Reason: formatting

Site Supporter
    I never thought beretta would cost me so much money but Ill be buying one of these. And add me to list for wanting a .32acp version.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Stick with me, its a .380 the size of a 9mm, if we keep chanting we might be able to resist, maybe...
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    It's a 380 ACP the size a .380 is supposed to be. The Cheetah line run reliably, have relatively mellow recoil for blowbacks, feature fullsize controls and ease of use, low muzzle blast for sensitive shooters, handle a wider range of loads than the pocket rockets (in my experience), and tend to print less than a GLOCK 19. Plus the option of DA/SA or cocked and locked SAO carry.
    After shooting my Beretta 84F for the first time, which I bought on a whim, I became a huge fan of the medium frame .380. Not every gun needs to be a Glock 19, and not every .380 needs to be a pocket pistol. While the .380 may be considered a marginal round by some folks here, being able to put 13 of them quickly on target due to the Cheetah's accuracy and low recoil makes up for a lot.

I think my only complaint about it would have been the safety. It's been a long time, so somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I pushed the safety lever up it would stop and "click" without actually being on safe. I had to continue to push it up, against more resistance, before the hammer would de-cock and the pistol would be in the safe condition. The safety was stiff enough that I could see a lot of the intended target audience having an issue with it. If the safety on the 80X is easy to operate, then I can see it being a serious competitor to guns like the S&W 380 EZ, SIG P365-380, and Ruger's new Security 380.

For various reasons, I sold it 8 years ago. Here are some photos of it next to a Glock 19 I took for my Armslist ad. This was before Armslist became the unusable cesspool it is today.

Name:  Beretta 84F 300.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  Beretta 84F 302.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  Beretta 84F 305.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  Beretta 84F 307.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  46.2 KB

PS - Add me to the list of people who would like to see either a .32 version of this, or a .32 conversion kit. Also, when is the Langdon Tactical version going to be released?
    Yippee ki-yay

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    I immediately thought of a belt sander after looking at the light rail. I then remembered that Tisas makes a Cheetah clone:

Name:  233BB030-B2FF-4E6D-8A8D-BB35C6B327D0.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  30.5 KB

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    Oh cool, a gun that won’t sell because it’s in .380
    .380 Auto has been one of the best selling pistol cartridges for ages. It was the standard police round of many European countries for decades. It is the cartridge of iconic firearms like the Walther PPK. In under a decade, Ruger sold 1.5 million LCPs and continues to sell a huge number of LCP variants like hotcakes. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Glock, Beretta, and nearly all major manufacturers produce more than one .380 Auto firearm due to consistent high demand.

It's one thing to be a wet blanket, but at least be a correct wet blanket.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    It was the standard police round of many European countries for decades. It is the cartridge of iconic firearms like the Walther PPK. .
    Most of those funny furrin guns started out as .32s. And are probably more functional as .32s.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    .380 Auto has been one of the best selling pistol cartridges for ages. It was the standard police round of many European countries for decades. It is the cartridge of iconic firearms like the Walther PPK. In under a decade, Ruger sold 1.5 million LCPs and continues to sell a huge number of LCP variants like hotcakes. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Glock, Beretta, and nearly all major manufacturers produce more than one .380 Auto firearm due to consistent high demand.

It's one thing to be a wet blanket, but at least be a correct wet blanket.
    Also worth noting that outside the United States, many countries restrict 9mm NATO to .gov users. Depending on the country, .380 (sometimes .32 ) is what civilians can own. I think the 80X will be warmly received in these markets.

User Tag List