Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beretta 80X Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by Moped View Post
    I. Must. Resist...
    Poppycock. What else ya gonna do with $329.95?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    AIM Surplus (local to me) still has "X Grade" Beretta 85BBs for $320. Checked one out today while on an ammo run and it was hard to keep waiting for the 80X...
    Bad, Noah, bad!

However you want to interpret that - I stick to the statement.

Site Supporter
    @LHS
    How is the recoil of the 80X compared to the 81BB in .32ACP?

I got an 81BB for my wife, and she really likes the lack of recoil, but is a little wary of the inability to decock.
    She’s quite petite and lacks hand / forearm strength.

My minimal experience with .380 blowback is that it’s not that much less recoil than some 9mm.
    Since you’ve been shooting a bit of .32 ACP before 80X, what’s your impression?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    As a TDA shooter and a Beretta employee talking about an Italian product (aka the European team wrote the manual with their legal counsel, and they are very safety-minded), I must insist on the decocked position for carry.

That said, technically speaking, the safety has been redesigned from the old gun, and that middle position is an intentional step with an active trigger disconnect, and this gun does have a firing pin block... Do with that information what you will...

Now, I'd really truly strongly recommend each shooter evaluate the safety detent strength and holster coverage before making any CCW decisions, and note our DA pull on that gun is easily in the 5.5# range. That extra length/trigger feedback in the first pull as a 'are you sure you want to put a hole in this?' is a major benefit of the TDA systems for bump in the night, while the modern lightweight pull isn't hurting your accuracy or slowing you down if you're positive that trigger needs to get pulled.

Personally, when I get mine, I'll be carrying mine in the same condition as I carry my PX4 Compact Carry.
    As an aficionado of the PX4CC, if the 80x DA trigger is even in the same zip code as that pull, there's no good reason *not* to carry that way. I admit to an almost irrational love for blowback because of the crazy accuracy of a barrel that doesn't move; and I can't imagine how the 80x trigger would be more challenging than a PPK/s Of course, the rotating Cougar/PX4 barrel achieves the same result, remaining in the same plane. That's my only hesitation; other than collecting Beretta "cat"s, how can this possibly top a PX4CC Langdon?

re: carry; I was never a 1911 user but I imagine the safety-off motion is that same sort of "are you sure?" for those folks.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    @LHS

I got an 81BB for my wife, and she really likes the lack of recoil, but is a little wary of the inability to decock.

My minimal experience with .380 blowback is that it’s not that much less recoil than some 9mm.
    It's got a little more ass to it than a .32, but it's significantly less than, say, a Shield or P365 in 9mm.
    That said, I'm a big strong dude and my perceptions are probably less tuned to recoil impulse levels than she is.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    As an aficionado of the PX4CC, if the 80x DA trigger is even in the same zip code as that pull, there's no good reason *not* to carry that way. I admit to an almost irrational love for blowback because of the crazy accuracy of a barrel that doesn't move; and I can't imagine how the 80x trigger would be more challenging than a PPK/s Of course, the rotating Cougar/PX4 barrel achieves the same result, remaining in the same plane. That's my only hesitation; other than collecting Beretta "cat"s, how can this possibly top a PX4CC Langdon?

re: carry; I was never a 1911 user but I imagine the safety-off motion is that same sort of "are you sure?" for those folks.
    My PX4CC has had ALL the work done to that DA (and I feel it's pretty much as good as can be), and I think it's safe to say the 80X factory DA is on that same street if not neighbors to that.

It feels a little smaller that the PX4 (thats a bit chunky), so I'll probably be rolling an 80x in as a lazy day option like Matt said in the FW video. I'm a big guy though, so my primary will still probably be my 9mm PX4CC.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

I should add as well, the slide seems easier to rack than the 81BB, and that's a big issue with a lot of direct blowback guns. I have had students who can't handle 9mm recoil, but also can't rack the slide on my 81BB despite being able to shoot it well otherwise.

Once these start hitting dealers and I can buy one of my own to directly compare, I'll be able to say for sure one way or the other on slide difficulty by comparison.

@LHS

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Anyone got a scoop on when these are hitting dealers?

Looks like a nice gun. I would love to see it photographed next to a 92 Compact 9 MM. Beretta's guns have always been on the large side. Both of my 92 Compacts are not much smaller than my standard 92's.

I agree. I had a Beretta Model 84 (now Cheetah) back in the 1980s when my only other pistol was a Browning P35. I found the M84 to be distinctly unpleasant to shoot, and didn't look much smaller than the BHP, and the BHP was much more pleasant to shoot. I didn't think there was much reason to keep the M84 and sent it on down the road pretty quickly.

I think I'd buy one in .32 Auto, but IIRC even Tamara mentioned that her Euro police trade-in had a surprisingly sharp recoil.

I did buy, and still have, the Beretta M87BB .22LR, which is a contender to be buried with me for any possible afterlife journey.

User Tag List