Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beretta 80X Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post

The same applies to the recoil, which was dragged in tangentially. Cheetah has an unpleasant, snappy recoil, just like Walther PPK. Over the years, I found that I can ameliorate the problem by not crawling up the grip as the modern pistol shooting doctrine mandates. Holding the Cheetah so its fat butt is in the palm helps. But even so it snaps harder than a 92. I tested it with several people, including women.

Yeah, I don't know if I would describe the recoil of the Cheetah as Snappy. But I certainly have no problem calling it rather f'ing uncomfortable. And agree it's just like the PPK.

It's not that it's a massive amount of energy or anything, but the design takes every single Newton of energy and directs it into a single spot on the Tang coming off of the back grip and puts it right into one little place on my thumb joint. I could see an indentation from the Tang after just one or two magazines full forming on my hand.

I sold that gun before even getting 50 rounds through it. So thanks but no thanks for me. Just too darn painful to shoot.

On the other hand, if there's a market for it and people will buy it and Beretta can stay in business and make a decent profit then I'm all for it.

I wonder if a .22lr version will be coming out?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Lucky Gunner stopped publishing their data more than 10 years ago. But even back then, they sold a much larger fraction of 9mm ammo versus .45 than it was reported for guns at the time.
    www.ammoseek.com currently ranks 9mm Luger as their top caliber at 19.15%

I'm not sure if that is based on searches, listings, or sales.

.45 ACP is the second most popular handgun caliber and 9th overall at 2.58%

.380 Auto is the seventh most popular handgun caliber and 18th overall at 1.19%

I don’t like the rail

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/80x-cheetah/

An awesome surprise. Optics cut and all.

Attachment 100021
    When you grab one, I'd love to tickle it's trigger :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's interesting. You're right about the p380, especially with a fresh set of recoil springs (which are required every ~500 rounds for reliable function). No female has been able to rack my p380. Given that a .380 is often recommended for recoil-averse people with low hand strength, a heavy RSA seems like a big disadvantage.
    blowbacks gonna blowback. Heavy springs and an unpleasant recoil impulse are just part of the fun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    how did they manage to come up with an msrp higher than the 92 series.
    Economies of scale. That’s one of those phrases people toss around like it explains everything, but in this case it’s pretty comprehensive.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I'll be honest. It's nowhere near as elegant as the old Cheetah. Things I hate are the straight backstrap and the picatinny rail. They really screw up the lines of the pistol. REALLY, REALLY SCREW THEM UP. It's ugly. I'll just say it.

Things I like are the dovetailed front sight (but for the money, it should have night sights), the front serrations on the front of the slide and the thinner grip panels (which for the money should be nicer than plastic. The things I liked that I read about were the easier to operate slide. I'm really not sure how the trigger could get any better than the old Cheetah. But if it is, then that's a plus.

The optic cut is a nice addition. But probably not one I will use. I have one optic gun, right now. But it's not making me want all my pistols to be optic. That being said, it is my primary carry (MAX-9 with a CT1550 RDS), I honestly have zero need for a flashlight, so I'd love to see one of these without the picatinny rail, with night sights and wood grip panels. I could possibly come to ignore the straight backstrap. And like others, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT IN .32ACP.

Someone compared the recoil of the old Cheetah to the Walther PPK, but to me there is no comparison. The Walther is a pretty gun to look at and to shoot a couple of mags through and then it goes back in the range bag. The Cheetah is easier to shoot, but not as easy as my Max-9, which is a lighter pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if I would describe the recoil of the Cheetah as Snappy. But I certainly have no problem calling it rather f'ing uncomfortable. And agree it's just like the PPK.

It's not that it's a massive amount of energy or anything, but the design takes every single Newton of energy and directs it into a single spot on the Tang coming off of the back grip and puts it right into one little place on my thumb joint. I could see an indentation from the Tang after just one or two magazines full forming on my hand.

I sold that gun before even getting 50 rounds through it. So thanks but no thanks for me. Just too darn painful to shoot.

On the other hand, if there's a market for it and people will buy it and Beretta can stay in business and make a decent profit then I'm all for it.
    Isn't it cool how people can on one hand call the .380 anemic and for women or people with hand issues, and on the other hand the same energy delivered over a shorter timeframe is painful or snappy or uncomfortable (and not necessarily be wrong)? Now in the PPK, with Teutonic precision the tang has a crisp angle that can beat up the thumb joint, but all the Cheetahs I've seen have graceful Italian curves. I'm a bit surprised, but I haven't shot a Cheetah. (I also made nearly invisible corrections to the PPK tang with 220, 440, and then 1000 grit paper, and have since run extended sessions without issue).

Personally I kinda like the rapid impulse; it's over just as quickly and back on target. Also, blowback pistol barrels don't move during the shot relative to POA (ditto PX4/Cougar) and I've noticed an appreciable difference in accuracy from that.

That said, at once I completely don't need any new pistols for fun, for competition or for defense -- and also I want two of these, and a rail attachment that covers the rail without doing anything to restore the clean line. I'm enjoying the Glocktalk thread on this as many comments are coming from the 'pocket pistol' perspective, about a 3.8" barrel, DA/SA, metal frame firearm, which is like grousing about an Italian sportscar for its MPG rating or its practicality.

Site Supporter
    All the blowback pistols I've owned have been less comfortable to shoot than locked-breech pistols. That said, they've all been freakin' tack drivers. Even my Polish P64. So, I feel like there's some argument to be made for the inherent accuracy of fixed-barrel designs. Not that locked-breech guns are inaccurate--but there's a sense of directness I find in low-slung, fixed-barrel pistols like PPKs and Makarovs.

The OG PM (Makarov) is honestly my favorite blowback (unless you include the HK P9S in the blowback pool). I find the Mak way more comfortable to shoot vs. a PPK or even a Sig P230--and just as accurate as both (in my experience). A Cheetah has been on my list for years. Maybe it's time.

I hate to say it, but I'm just not interested in a tactical re-skinning of the Cheetah. To me, it's a gun that's meant to be simplistic and sleek. I personally don't want cuts, rails and optics mounts on a gun like that... but that's me. I hope you sell a pile of them, regardless.

@Ben_G Any chance you'll bring out a Cheetah with a more "classic" trim (i.e., closer to the original)? In other words, something that's not part of the "X" line?
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List