Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New CMP Competition: CMP Action Pistol

Site Supporter

New CMP Competition: CMP Action Pistol

This is an interesting development

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-changes-2023/

CMP Announces Action Pistol Competitions, Other Rule Changes For 2023

The Civilian Marksmanship Program just released their 2023 rule books, which included an entire new shooting discipline. Action pistol matches are now part of the CMP’s repertoire. Let’s take a look at these new rules, as well as some changes to other types of matches.

Action Pistol Rules
    CMP matches are traditionally based on bullseye-style shooting. Competitors shoot at bullseye targets at set ranges in a set amount of time. Sometimes the allowed time adds a bit of pressure, but it is not the tenth- or hundredth-second race to finish first seen in most action shooting. CMP action pistol is more of an amalgam of traditional bullseye shooting and USPSA/IPSC than a true action shooting sport.

Many features of these rules mimic those of other practical shooting disciplines. There are several pistol categories in the Action Pistol rules, including open, iron sights, production, and optical sights. All stages are fired from the holster. And, as in other action shooting competitions, ammunition must meet a power factor calculation.

Action Pistol Stage Design
    One feature that struck me was the unique stage designs used in action pistol matches. Rather than unique stages at each match that competitors have to figure out, the CMP has opted for a menu of standardized courses of fire. These are not USPSA or 3-gun stages, with competitors running from target to target while moving around a target bay with a 270-degree berm. The CMP stages are designed for firing on standard shooting ranges at 50 yards and less, and do not require the competitor to move between shooting locations. Take, for example, the Practical Event stage:

Name:  1F91AE73-B457-46C0-95EF-2765932D487C.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  50.1 KB

I can already hear the “But USPSA/IPSC/IDPA is better because it’s more real!” comments, but hear me out first: this is not meant to be those competitions. However, CMP action pistol could be a very potent gateway drug to get shooters into those types of matches. The typical CMP shooter skews pretty young or pretty old. Both of those demographics could benefit from a shooting competition featuring target transitions and holster work without intense movement around a shooting bay. This simple style of stage can be run at most shooting ranges rather than the specialized facilities generally used for action-style shooting.

Additionally, each course of fire breaks down into separate strings, none of which contains more than six rounds fired. Why would they cap each string so low? For revolver shooters, and shooters in restrictive states. The CMP is a 50-state organization, and their courses of fire need to be possible across the country. Stages requiring more than ten rounds could be a problem in some places.

Name:  C67F9957-3703-4417-9CC3-5FB91451F739.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  23.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Looks like fun

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

This sounds cool.

Site Supporter
    Off to check CMP forums for bitching from the fatties about prone being permitted and how they can’t be competitive on the long stages because of it.

I am super interested in this. I can't remember the last time I shot a handgun at 50 yard.

And in between that and National Match bullseye shooting, they offer

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/upload...GamesRules.pdf

7.5.2 As Issued Pistol Course of Fire

Includes slow fire Freestyle, WHO, SHO; timed fire Freestyle, all on B8 at 25.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

With my increasing mobility issues, this might be something I should consider.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Seems like a logical way to try and breathe some life back into the mostly dead (at the club level) bullseye sport.

What is the difference between CMP Action Pistol and NRA Action Pistol?

Course of fire posted looks the same, as does the target.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I have never shot Bianchi Cup but I remember hearing that the NRA basically gave it up for adoption and it was picked up by the CMP so yes it does seem like this is basically NRA Action Pistol.

User Tag List