Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New CMP Competition: CMP Action Pistol

Give it a shot-pun intended for all

I have not paid attention to Bianchi style shooting in several years. Is the Cup still run in Missouri over Memorial Day by the NRA? The NRA has financial issues possibly, and they might have given it up…
    In any event, most any competitive shooting is good shooting in my view, and I may try the “Short Course” next week, just for the heck of it. A static course appeals to me as I approach 70 orbits around the sun. Like GSSF, I think it seems valuable from a technical shooting perspective. And good on the CMP for picking it up!
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 01-13-2023 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    So whoever wrote this apparently isn't familiar with NRA Action Pistol. Among other things he mentions this can be run on ranges where USPSA can't. Quite the opposite. Even on the practical stage shown, which is just one of many, you need turning targets which most ranges by me dont have. You need a certain kind of mover for the moving stage, a crap ton of Bianchi Barricades for that stage, as well as a few plate racks that have to be set up in such a way that allows people to go prone on them and not shoot over the berm. That is just the ones I have shot, there are more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    It looks like you do need all that stuff except for the turning targets.
    Pretty sure there are 19 approved stages in the NRA Action Pistol Rule Book. You don't have to shoot the mover, plates, or barricade, at a local level approved match. You also don't have to have turning targets. Even though, that is true, the plate event(s) the barricade event(s) and the mover event(s) are pretty much staples at our club matches.

Action Pistol has been declining for several years, if CMP gives it new life, I'm all for it.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

6 round strings? Jeeez. Revolvers are scored in a different class/category correct? So why does everyone else have to slow down to that level?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Action Pistol has been declining for several years, if CMP gives it new life, I'm all for it.
    CMP's doing a lot to try and "revitalize" the more classic shooting sports. They've relaxed the EIC ammunition rules and also started Service Revolver competitions that are a bit more involved/challenging than the standard NRA Distinguished Revolver course.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I took a run at the "Short Course" on the indoor range. There are three D1 targets, with a blackened X ring. All strings at 10 yards with par times.
    298/300 points. 28 Xs, 1 "10", 1"8". It's certainly cleanable; I just relaxed a bit too much on the last string and crunched an "8". Shot with my usual carry piece:a GEN5 19MOS w/P2 ACRO.
    I'd hazard most folks here wouldn't have any issues. A challenge for a casual hobbyist would be to clean it. The par times are generous and would serve to introduce time to a beginner. One could also try Comstock scoring. My approach will be to clean it w/Xs, and then maybe work some other angles.
    I am grateful that CMP has adopted it.

Site Supporter

Thanks

I'm on the CMP board of directors. A ton of work went into the new rule books. We're striving to provide quality events with a special emphasis on youth. I appreciate your comments. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    What is the difference between CMP Action Pistol and NRA Action Pistol?

Course of fire posted looks the same, as does the target.
    The difference is that the NRA is quietly trying to get out of the shooting sports, and that CMP purchased the Action Pistol program part and parcel and will now be the official sanctioning body for the Bianchi Cup as well as presumably regional AP matches. I had a great meeting with the CMP team about Bianchi Cup at SHOT Show and I'm excited to see how they handle the program. The hope is that they breathe some much needed life into what was once the richest handgun tournament in the shooting sports.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    6 round strings? Jeeez. Revolvers are scored in a different class/category correct? So why does everyone else have to slow down to that level?
    #revolverlivesmatter

It's the same for steel challenge and that's one of my faves.

Hopefully the CMP can get these matches to be as prevalent as USPSA matches. They don't sound very set up intensive compared to a massive USPSA match with a ton of field courses, even at the local level.

This might be just the thing to get me to try to shoot competition seriously again

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    #revolverlivesmatter

It's the same for steel challenge and that's one of my faves.

Hopefully the CMP can get these matches to be as prevalent as USPSA matches. They don't sound very set up intensive compared to a massive USPSA match with a ton of field courses, even at the local level.

This might be just the thing to get me to try to shoot competition seriously again

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I would be thrilled if they could make it relevant again, but from my experience shooting it last year, it will be a tough climb. Part of the problem, at least in the regional match in my area, is that they are still organizing it in the pre internet arena. I just got the email to sign up for this year with the registration form you physically send in along with a check for your entry fee. At the match scoring is done by paper. It would be really easy to do with practiscore. Like so many things their is very little help to organize and run the match.

Not sure where you are in IL, but you should come over and shoot the match.

BERRIEN COUNTY SPORTSMAN’S CLUB

PRESENTS

2023 SUNSET COAST REGIONAL

NRA REGIONAL ACTION PISTOL CHAMPIONSHIP
    Date: May 20, 2023
    Location: Berrien County Sportsman’s Club, 2985 E. Linco Road, Berrien Springs, MI 49103
    DIRECTIONS TO RANGE:
    From Benton Harbor, Michigan take Exit 28 from I-94 South on M-139, 8 miles
    turn Left on East Linco Road, end of road turn Left.
    MATCH COURSE:
    MATCH #1 MOVING TARGET MODIFIED EVENT RULE 7.8
    MATCH #2 BARRICADE EVENT RULE 7.7
    MATACH #3 PRACTICAL EVENT RULE 7.6
    MATCH #4 FALLING PLATE EVENT RULE 7.8
    MATCH #5 REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AN AGGREGATE
    OF SCORES OF MARTCHES 1,2,3, AND 4

Match begins 9:00 am
    Classification: Open to all (all competitors will shoot their respective NRA
    classification. High Master, Master, Expert, Sharpshooter or Marksman)
    Firearms centerfire open and metallic sight. Rimfire (open & metallic combined)
    Production Class.
    NRA membership not required to compete, but for national records, Rule 17 applies
    must be American citizen who are NRA members or junior member of NRA affiliated
    club. Membership enrollment will be offered at the club. Copy of NRA classification
    must be provided with entry.
    Fees:
    Sunset Coast Regional $ 80.00
    1-Gun match $ 80.00
    2-Gun match $ 40.00
    3-Gun match $ 40.00
    Individual matches $ 20.00
    NRA Membership $ 35.00
    Post Entry $ 90.00
    Package Fee $ 80.00
    Entries Close May 1, 2023
    Post entries will be accepted (to range capacity of 50 competitors) up to 11:00 AM on
    May 20, 2023 .
    Rules: Current 2023 NRA Action Pistol rules apply.

Site Supporter

CMP provisional divisions

Bumping this thread to note CMP is adding provisional Production and Production Optics divisions to the 2024 Bianchi Cup. Haven't seen rules for them on the CMP site yet.

User Tag List