Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a MP5 Clone Necessary? Or Does Something that an AR9 Doesn’t?

Is a MP5 Clone Necessary? Or Does Something that an AR9 Doesn’t?

So, I sold a few things and have some extra disposable income. Feeling like I should buy another gun. [emoji1787] I’ve been tossing an AP5 back and forth for some time.

When I first moved up to ME, my first investment was a 11.5” AR pistol (5.56). This is currently running my Griffin Bushwhacker 46 and is a go to firearm. I followed that up with a PSA AK-P. Also got a M1 Carbine on my C&R (middle finger to NJ). I have a braced TAC-14 and a D/I AR45 that I eventually plan on SBRing.

About a half year after starting work up here, we switched to 9mm Glocks. When it was getting closer, I built another AR pistol using a Stern 9mm kit (6” barrel). Made it so it would take my Dead Air Odessa fitted under the forend. Having a source of 19 magazines, as well as larger magazines from my 17 and 34, Glock magazines were an obvious choice. I also did pick up a KelTec SUB-2000 that takes 19 magazines for times where I didn’t want to take the AR pistol with me (did the MCARBO upgrades, and very happy with it). I do like options.

I also have a 9mm CX4, which is paired with my 92. I might look into threading, but it’s just another carbine. Won’t sell it, but isn’t something I shoot a lot.

So considering all that, and the fact that I have an investment in Glock magazines… is a MP5 clone worth the costs? I’d probably get like a half dozen magazines (likely just do MKE magazines), likely a brace but I might consider SBRing it for the John McClane look. I likely would get a 3-lug adapter for the Griffin so I can run it on there. No lights. No red dot. Might do some small upgrades, but not going too far from the traditional design. If I get bored, maybe a binary trigger.

I know zero about roller delayed guns. Closest thing I had was a GSG5 (.22 clone that I had with a MP5 stock set). People seem to like them and they don’t seem to fail a lot. HK slap is “cool.” But shy of that… I don’t know much about them. If I get one, I’d probably look into seeing if any parts needed to be swapped. I do get how the double feed magazines are easier to load, just I don’t have any issues with loading Glock magazines.

If I don’t get one, I’ll probably get a Fulton A1 AR as I wanted another 20”. Was tossing around a LCP Max or the Glock 47, but can always get one. Can’t say the same if Biden decides Turkish gun imports are too dangerous.

JP5 uses Glock mags… just sayin….

If you've ever truly wanted an MP5, IMO, nothing else will scratch that itch.

You'll hear both positive and negative feedback. Some of the positive will elevate it to an infallible, almost mystical status. The negative will deride the platform as archaic and easily outclassed by everything else on the market. The truth is somewhere in between. I think of the MP5 (and all clones) as basically the lever gun of PCC's. Lever guns are sometimes seen as archaic but, honestly for some uses they still work just fine. Old school cool that is well built and still useful, I mean who wouldn't want that, even if only for a fun range gun?

The MP5 platform tends to be very simple, easy to maintain, very light recoil, very accurate, and a joy to shoot. They're like driving an older analog car with a manual gearbox; less comfortable but more enjoyable and more soul. They're also highly modular and can be configured countless ways. They are, however, not all perfect. Some clones will have issues. Often these issues seem to be with feeding, extraction, and ejection. Sometimes the bolt / bolt head is the issue. Sometimes the extractor or extractor spring. Just be aware, if buying a clone, it may still need some tweaking before it runs like a sewing machine. Once they do, however, they're a joy to shoot.

Since you mentioned not doing many modifications, I'd say something like the Century AP5 is definitely worth considering. Half of the draw for an AR-based PCC is the modularity and increased aftermarket offerings, so that sounds like a moot point in your case.

So, is an SP5 fun for a left-hander, long term? Any southpaws have significant time with one?

I have a friend that has a MP5 clone (roller delayed) and a CMMG Banshee (radial delayed) that takes Glock mags.

He slightly prefers the MP5 clone and I much prefer the AR platform of the Banshee but I'm an AR fan.

Either of them are out of my price range but I sure do enjoy getting to shoot his now and then. Oh and he has suppressors for both so... [emoji16]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Only one of those guns can you do the HK slap on. Just sayin'. You've got a Beretta 92, so you're half-way to a Christmas movie load out.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Only one of those guns can you do the HK slap on. Just sayin'. You've got a Beretta 92, so you're half-way to a Christmas movie load out.
    Less than 1/2 way. You’d still need to AUG-ment the collection.

Might also need to “squeeze” something else in, too.

@Sig_Fiend is right on. A pistol with a light and a stendo will do everything an MP5 will except be an MP5. If I really needed a short, suppressed gun today it would be an SBR 300BLK, but an SP5 or clone is in my future just because I used them and I'm nostalgic. The safety on the SP5 is easier to use than I recall on the MP5, and that's a good thing.

Just buy one.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

For what an MP-5 costs I’d rather have a JP-5.

I would rather compete with a JP5 and defend myself with an HK SP5 or K. No idea how good clones are, but there may never be a better time to get an HK.

Name:  F7B573A1-C518-4972-BBA0-B326B7C9F449.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  879AED3B-F1CE-4265-8DAF-5FEC799B36C8.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  86.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List