Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If one owned a Hi-Power...

Site Supporter

If one owned a Hi-Power...

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    More expensive, heavier with less ammo capacity (although there are MecGar 15 rounds mags). Unusable tiny safety, bad trigger with mag drop safety. Worse sights and no option for RDS if that's a must for you.

They weren't bad for their time but mostly status/rank symbol in military. They may have went to many wars bitcas far as actual use?????

It's like why aren't FALs and G3s more popular. They're fine but they can't compare to a basic AR

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    They weren’t always so expensive. The first handgun I ever bought back in the late nineties was a brand new Mk III Browning Hi Power (which did have a useable safety and decent sights) bought for $400.

Also, back in those days of the AWB, you could still get magazines that held more than 10 rounds for a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like seeing an old design getting some aftermarket support. I enjoy shooting the Hi-Power and have been interested in the newer Springfield. That being said, have the initial issues with the Springfields been worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    They weren’t always so expensive. The first handgun I ever bought back in the late nineties was a brand new Mk III Browning Hi Power (which did have a useable safety and decent sights) bought for $400.

Also, back in those days of the AWB, you could still get magazines that held more than 10 rounds for a reasonable price.

In 1998 $400 is equivalent to $720 today. It's cheap when thinking about $400 today

The sights on mk3 are usable and the safety is ... better. Still small just not as itty bitty as it was before. I have one and it has been reliable in typical range use.

I wouldn't mind the new FN one but I don't have that kind of F-it money for 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I guess my point was compared to polymer stuff or 1911’s, it requires a bit more skill and finesse. But you’re absolutely correct on the SFS parts (except that tiny spring). Lol
    Should we call it a drop out part? Which it loves to do.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    In 1998 $400 is equivalent to $720 today. It's cheap when thinking about $400 today
    That’s true. But I don’t think Glocks or any other service-type handgun were much cheaper than that back then either. I was a relatively poor college student in those days and if there existed then a better handgun for significantly less than $400 I’m sure I would have bought that instead.

Most of BH Spring Solutions components are literally plug and play. They also have a prototype magwell assembly that incorporates the grips, and requires no more than a screwdriver and a light hammer to instal; I t&e'd it a year or so back, and discussed on my High Power thread blog. There were two versions of them; the one I tested in polished bare aluminum, and one finished in black (which I thought aesthetically blended in better with the High Power, but that's me).

Here's the magwell setup:

The magwell is discussed on page 8, post #72 on the thread...https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Revisited+Part

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    That’s true. But I don’t think Glocks or any other service-type handgun were much cheaper than that back then either. I was a relatively poor college student in those days and if there existed then a better handgun for significantly less than $400 I’m sure I would have bought that instead.

I tried looking it it. Not much out there except for other forums where members were talking about how much they paid. Prices seemed a little bit all over the place. Late 80s were typically around $249 - 280 which would make that $665 - 692 today.

In the 90s it seemed to be from $300 to over $500. Someone paid $525 for a G22 in 2001 ($758 today). So yeah....I guess the dollar amount changed but the price didn't.

Site Supporter
    More expensive, heavier with less ammo capacity (although there are MecGar 15 rounds mags). Unusable tiny safety, bad trigger with mag drop safety. Worse sights and no option for RDS if that's a must for you.

They weren't bad for their time but mostly status/rank symbol in military. They may have went to many wars bitcas far as actual use?????

It's like why aren't FALs and G3s more popular. They're fine but they can't compare to a basic AR

There is an RDS option.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClpW8yYp..._web_copy_link

I'm happy with my Glocks and 1911s, and I refuse to play the "pistol of the month" game, but if I did, I would 100% pick up at least one of the Browning "Practical" models in two-tone and have a silly-happy time getting tuned it all to here and back.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I stopped and talked to Randy at SHOT. The HP stuff is amazing! He has a 17 round tube that he is attaching a +3-5 round base plate on. I can't remember what he said the + was. He did say the tube was from a non-HP magazine.

User Tag List