Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NIB SIG P229 Legion Frame Scratch

Fill the rails with grease and shoot it

Site Supporter
    I understand the op's sentiment but will say that finally I learned to ignore such marks on pistol frames. Check for burrs and proceed to shoot and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Don't worry about it. The Legion finish well be worn off by next Tuesday regardless.
    LOL yeah probably. That’s one of the reasons besides looks I went with the black Nitron version that’s only usually sold discounted to First Responders.

Site Supporter
    All my Sig P2XX pistols show some wear on the rails after a while. I had a P245 where the finish was kinda flaking off in places. I had a P220 with a big, long gouge running most of the rail. My P229 has most of the finish worn off the bottom. They all ran/run just fine.

Finish wear on Sig rails will happen. I tend to think they'd run with no frame finish at all.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Run a cotton ball down the slide rails and see what happens.
    Ran a cotton ball down both slide rails and can’t find and burrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboyscr View Post
    Ran a cotton ball down both slide rails and can’t find and burrs.
    Then you're likely just seeing normal "wear in" on the finish on your Sig. They all do that, to some degree or other. Barrel "smileys" are next. All part of the Classic Sig experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    All my Sig P2XX pistols show some wear on the rails after a while. I had a P245 where the finish was kinda flaking off in places. I had a P220 with a big, long gouge running most of the rail. My P229 has most of the finish worn off the bottom. They all ran/run just fine.

Finish wear on Sig rails will happen. I tend to think they'd run with no frame finish at all.
    Yes I’ve owned SIG P series since 1992. I’m aware of the frame rail wear and lubricate with grease. However, if you look at my pics this scratch is BELOW the rail and the pistol is NIB only test fired at SIG. I can’t find any burrs on the slide. I know the scratch won’t affect function or durability. It’s just annoying when you spend $1,300+ on a pistol that has a blemish like this before you even shoot it and SIG has the nerve to tell me it’s normal. Again it’s not the rail it’s below the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Then you're likely just seeing normal "wear in" on the finish on your Sig. They all do that, to some degree or other. Barrel "smileys" are next. All part of the Classic Sig experience.
    I’ve owned SIG’s since 1992 and am familiar with rail wear but have never seen anything below the rail and jagged like this new out of the box only test fired by SIG. It looks worse in person.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboyscr View Post
    Yes I’ve owned SIG P series since 1992. I’m aware of the frame rail wear and lubricate with grease. However, if you look at my pics this scratch is BELOW the rail and the pistol is NIB only test fired at SIG. I can’t find any burrs on the slide. I know the scratch won’t affect function or durability. It’s just annoying when you spend $1,300+ on a pistol that has a blemish like this before you even shoot it and SIG has the nerve to tell me it’s normal. Again it’s not the rail it’s below the rail.
    Yeah, I hear you. I’d probably be annoyed too after spending that much on a gun. Especially since sig just kinda blew you off. Have you shot it yet? Could you go back to your gun shop and ask about returning it? Could you call Sig again… maybe you’ll get someone else who’s more willing to help?

Either way, I’m sure it will shoot well.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Degrease the problem area, hit it with a Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black pen, grease it with a good quality EP grease, and shoot the thing. It will wear anodize in other spots anyway- normal for any aluminum frame P series and no impact on accuracy in my experience with a 226 and 229.

At this point, if you really plan to shoot the thing then just shoot it. Of course I understand your feelings about this, but at end of the day, it will probably never be a real issue.

User Tag List