Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDCLB vs. Modlite vs. Cloud Defensive

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    The OKW head on the modlite is not an EDC head in any way. It’s an extremely tight pattern that caters to a very long throw…. For a carry option the PLHv2 is far better of an option
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    At 1350 lumens and 54k cd, the PLHv2 is indeed a better EDC flashlight option for many.

That said, there are those who want maximum candela (luminous intensity) for their EDC "fight light" for best penetration of auto glass and photonic barriers. I suspect this is the reason Modlite offers it as a compact 18350 hand held light. Cloud Defensive followed suit with their offerings for the Micro MCH hand held light: one head at 1200 lumens / 35k cd and another at 950 lumens / 63k cd.

The PLHv2 and OKW heads are identical in size and weight, so the size comparison illustration remains the same.
    I have both and find myself using the OKW head more often for the reasons mentioned above and have not felt handicapped with its relatively tight beam.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I have both and find myself using the OKW head more often for the reasons mentioned above and have not felt handicapped with its relatively tight beam.
    Between the two head options I’ve found I far prefer the additional spill of the PLHv2 compared to the OKW. I definitely think that head has its place, for me that would be an SPR rifle or RECCE style rifle setup that requires a much longer light range ability. For the handheld a SAR requirement might have great benefits with a longer throw OKW head.

For the purposes of the OP’s testing the heads are identical in size so the comparison is completely reasonable.

Obviously everyone’s needs will vary, it’s just something one should definitely consider when purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    Between the two head options I’ve found I far prefer the additional spill of the PLHv2 compared to the OKW.
    For the benefit of those who do not have firsthand experience with the E2XTD and E2HT heads, the actual spill area of those heads is just as wide as that of (for example) the BGV2 head. The difference is in the distribution of the luminous flux between the spill and center hot spot.

With both the E2XTD and E2HT Malkoff heads, I find the spill area to still be bright enough to maintain close-range SA, out to about 50 feet. So it's not as though there's no spill, it's just that it's not as bright as a light with a higher ratio of lumens to candela.

Just for clarity, I hope this helps.

Beam Shots
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

@NH Shooter, it would be awesome if Malkoff offered a 1000 lumen head with Bodyguard circuitry and a hot spot lens. Personally, I'd like something with more spill than the Dagger, and with 1000 lumens I bet the spot could be just as bright.

Also, the head diameter of the Modlights is bigger than I like for pocket carry. That alone tips the balance toward EDCLB/Malkoff for me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @NH Shooter, it would be awesome if Malkoff offered a 1000 lumen head with Bodyguard circuitry and a hot spot lens. Personally, I'd like something with more spill than the Dagger, and with 1000 lumens I bet the spot could be just as bright.

Also, the head diameter of the Modlights is bigger than I like for pocket carry. That alone tips the balance toward EDCLB/Malkoff for me.
    Agreed 100% E2XTD matches (or exceeds) the performance of the OKW, but Malkoff offers no equivalent of the PLv2. If they did, it would undoubtedly be a 1-1/4" diameter head like the E2XTD.

The 1-inch diameter head Dagger and Bodyguard do indeed carry more comfortably in the pocket.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    I have original Bodyguard v1 and v2 lights from Malkoff, as well as an 18350 Bodyguard v2 from NH Shooter and an 16650 "Dagger" style light that I Legoed together before realizing that NH Shooter was going into business. The light on my belt right now is the 16650 Dagger style.

Anything with a Bodyguard v2 head and at least an 18350 cell is a can't go wrong choice. The 18350 Bodyguard is the nicest light I have ever used for pocket carry.

Before reading NH Shooter's posts, I would have questioned going to a lower lumen head with tighter throw. However, I find that the high intensity head gives me a great deal of ability to see what is going on around me at distance without significantly compromising my ability to see what is going on off to the side of the beam. If I need to see something in the spill area better, I can just move the light.

If I am ever looking for someone who potentially intends to harm me, I want the ability to compromise their ability to do so as much as possible. The more concentrated beam gives me that ability.

Malkoff doesn't even list the BG V2 anymore. They seem to be constantly changing their offerings.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Malkoff doesn't even list the BG V2 anymore. They seem to be constantly changing their offerings.
    I just checked right now and both the head and complete light are on Malkoff’s website. They are currently out of stock, which happens often.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    I find the Malkoff website very hard to navigate. They need some professional help in designing their storefront.

Try this:
    https://malkoffdevices.com/search?ty...ct&q=bodyguard

In stock at EDC Light Builder:
    https://www.edclightbuilder.com/stor...ard-p492060844
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I too am waiting on more BGV2 heads.

User Tag List