Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDCLB vs. Modlite vs. Cloud Defensive

EDCLB vs. Modlite vs. Cloud Defensive

Not exactly an in-the-dark, hand-to-hand combat comparison complete with beam shots, but rather a visual line-up that directly compares the size, weight and output specs of these 18350 lights.

I made the comparison using photos on the Modlite and Cloud Defensive websites. I imported them into Photoshop and scaled them as accurately as possible. Modlte and CD state the AOL of the lights rather imprecisely at 4-inches. I scaled the lights to each other using the Thrym pocket clip, which is identical on both lights. I then scaled the EDCLB Dagger and Fat Boy to create the comparison;

The comparison illustrates how the EDCLB E-series bodies compare in size/bulk to the Modlte and CD lights. In terms of output the CD MCH-HC is the most impressive, but it's also the heaviest. The Fat Boy is the brightest (highest candela) and lighter than the OKW or MCH-HC. The Dagger has the lowest output of the group (not that 500 lumens and 35,000 cd is anything to sneeze at), but is the shortest, lightest and most pocket friendly. I would also argue it's the most ergonomic in the hand.

Comparison of Pricing

Modlite OKW-18350 - $309.00 with Thrym LPC, one 18350 cell and Xtar charger.

Cloud Defensive Micro MCH-HC - $219.99 with Thrym LPC, one 18350 cell and charger.

EDCLB E2HT Dagger - $206.50 with Deep Carry Pocket Clip.

EDCLB Fat Boy - $264.50 with Deep Carry Pocket Clip.

EDCLB Power Options

1. (2) Orbtonic 18350 1200mAh IMR flat top cells - $14.00
    2. (2) Orbtonic 18350 1200mAh IMR flat top cells and (1) Xtar VC2L charger - $35.95
    3. 18350 Fuel Pack: three (3) Orbtonic 18350 1200mAh IMR flat top cells, (1) Xtar VC2L charger and (1) 18650 Delrin Battery Locker - $57.50

Note: P-F member 10% discount applies to both light and power options, and power options ship along with the flashlight (no additional shipping).

Doing your research before dropping this kind of coin on an EDC light is paramount. I hope this comparison helps!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-12-2023 at 03:30 PM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Good comparison. Adding the BG2 to the mix is interesting because it puts out 1000+ lumens, but with a broader flood of 12000 candela, which I personally prefer for an EDC light over any of the other options. The tightly focused beams (especially with a high-lumen emitter) work great for distance or photonic attacks, but I don't find them as generally useful.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good comparison. Adding the BG2 to the mix is interesting because it puts out 1000+ lumens, but with a broader flood of 12000 candela, which I personally prefer for an EDC light over any of the other options. The tightly focused beams (especially with a high-lumen emitter) work great for distance or photonic attacks, but I don't find them as generally useful.
    Agreed 100% on the BGV2 option! It is (of course) dimensionally identical to the E2HT, and since the other lights are high-candela, I did not include it in this comparison. ;-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    The OKW head on the modlite is not an EDC head in any way. It’s an extremely tight pattern that caters to a very long throw…. For a carry option the PLHv2 is far better of an option

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    The OKW head on the modlite is not an EDC head in any way. It’s an extremely tight pattern that caters to a very long throw…. For a carry option the PLHv2 is far better of an option
    At 1350 lumens and 54k cd, the PLHv2 is indeed a better EDC flashlight option for many.

That said, there are those who want maximum candela (luminous intensity) for their EDC "fight light" for best penetration of auto glass and photonic barriers. I suspect this is the reason Modlite offers it as a compact 18350 hand held light. Cloud Defensive followed suit with their offerings for the Micro MCH hand held light: one head at 1200 lumens / 35k cd and another at 950 lumens / 63k cd.

The PLHv2 and OKW heads are identical in size and weight, so the size comparison illustration remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    Well that's one opinion...

Personally, I do carry an OKW as well as a Stiletto Pro.

This is pretty interesting about the claimed output of Modulate vs Cloud Defensive.

https://www.lowlightdefense.com/defe...s-streamlight/

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Well that's one opinion...

Personally, I do carry an OKW as well as a Stiletto Pro.
    Thankfully we are all free to choose our own kit. I’m glad that model and head work for your needs, it’s cool they have options in the product lineup.

How does the output of the dagger compare to the malkoffs mdc bodyguard? I think your description on the website says the bodyguard is more floody?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    How does the output of the dagger compare to the malkoffs mdc bodyguard? I think your description on the website says the bodyguard is more floody?
    That is correct!

The BGV2 Bodyguard produces 1,000 lumens with a fairly broad hot spot that measures 12,000 candela.

The E2HT Dagger produces 500 lumens with a tightly-focused hot spot that measures 35,000 candela.

Some beam shots and graphs can be found here - https://www.edclightbuilder.com/beams/

If I could only carry one, it would be the BGV2 Bodyguard as it's a very capable light. But since I carry two it's the E2HT Dagger (and sometimes Fat Boy) for the blinding high-candela luminous intensity and the E1 Admin (very diffuse flood beam) for general utility use;

This combo does everything I need for EDC lighting capability.

User Tag List