Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Defensive Frearms Performance

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think continued exposure is the best way to deal with the cold.
    I’m no expert on cold, but I can say this definitely works for the heat. Our summer temperatures routinely hit 120, but by staying active outside as the temperatures rise, I’ve found I can greatly extend my ability to perform physically.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When we moved to AK in 2002, I was a 1911 guy. That first winter, I went to a USP Compact .45 with a LEM trigger. Many lessons learned that first winter!
    I have to agree with the USP over a 1911 in the winter. Also in my opinion the USP is a better cold weather handgun than the MK23. Name:  mk23_33.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  105.9 KB
    MK23 trigger guard is large enough that in DA a heavy glove will go under and wedge the trigger just before it fires, no issues in SA.

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Cdub_NW, do you remember what caused his gun to get frozen into its holster at the NODS class?
    It wasn’t snow or anything packed into the holster. So my only guesses would be ambient moisture freezing that and possible material shrinkage at the 16 degrees we were in??? He got the Glock clear of the holster with a firm draw but it definitely was a delay from his typical draw stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    It wasn’t snow or anything packed into the holster. So my only guesses would be ambient moisture freezing that and possible material shrinkage at the 16 degrees we were in??? He got the Glock clear of the holster with a firm draw but it definitely was a delay from his typical draw stroke.
    Thanks. I misremembered that it wouldn’t come out at all for that evolution.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    I’m no expert on cold, but I can say this definitely works for the heat. Our summer temperatures routinely hit 120, but by staying active outside as the temperatures rise, I’ve found I can greatly extend my ability to perform physically.
    That should be a separate thread.

Extremely Hot Weather Defensive Firearm Performance

Example: Don’t leave a metal framed pistol in a parked car during the summer in Phoenix for longer than 45 minutes and expect to handle it without wearing a pair of ov gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    That should be a separate thread.

Extremely Hot Weather Defensive Firearm Performance

Example: Don’t leave a metal framed pistol in a parked vehicle during the summer in Phoenix for longer than 45 minutes and expect to handle it without wearing a pair of ov gloves.

Name:  EF1D34C5-B071-4586-B50D-5A3EEAD2BAA5.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  D5D89A3F-3AA7-45AD-AD62-7F4B91BD3237.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  31.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great article, great topic. I once adjusted new Trijicon HDs and verified their zero in 5ft of snow and 0 degrees.

My relationship with cold is odd. I grew up in upstate NY and spent countless hours outdoors below freezing. Hiking a mile and a half up a hill in 4 feet of snow to snowboard for 3 or 4 hours was a common activity as a kid.

After acclimating to very high Iraq temps over the course of 6 months or so I took leave and went home to Upstate in the dead of winter. I was completely fine with the cold and snow. Yet while in country I found my teeth chattering at much higher temps during their cold season.

I have lived in FL for a few years now. I went to NY in November and did some deer hunting. In a few light layers and a hoody I was completely fine hunting for hours with temps mid 20* and snow on the ground. Dressed in the same fashion, doing the same type of hunting, in 40* in FL I struggled with numbing fingers.

I seem to accomodate back to upstate NY without issue but struggle with other places. I recall being fine with cold and snow in KY as well. Perhaps I'm more tolerant of wet cold than dry. I'm not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Great article.

Ive pretty much come to all your same conclusions.

I need to order some new mittens. I had been using my issued OR mits. Very warm and quick to slip off. My favorite thin gloves are mechanics. The suede palm is a little stickier than wool or fleece.
    I used to shoot outside all winter down to single digits willingly.

My favorite shooting gloves for cold are Callaway Winter golf gloves, same kind of requirement for grip, touch and finesse. They work extremely well despite their thinness.

Then I do the insulated or heated mitts on top of that when not shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Great article, great topic. I once adjusted new Trijicon HDs and verified their zero in 5ft of snow and 0 degrees.

My relationship with cold is odd. I grew up in upstate NY and spent countless hours outdoors below freezing. Hiking a mile and a half up a hill in 4 feet of snow to snowboard for 3 or 4 hours was a common activity as a kid.

After acclimating to very high Iraq temps over the course of 6 months or so I took leave and went home to Upstate in the dead of winter. I was completely fine with the cold and snow. Yet while in country I found my teeth chattering at much higher temps during their cold season.

I have lived in FL for a few years now. I went to NY in November and did some deer hunting. In a few light layers and a hoody I was completely fine hunting for hours with temps mid 20* and snow on the ground. Dressed in the same fashion, doing the same type of hunting, in 40* in FL I struggled with numbing fingers.

I seem to accomodate back to upstate NY without issue but struggle with other places. I recall being fine with cold and snow in KY as well. Perhaps I'm more tolerant of wet cold than dry. I'm not certain.
    There is definitely something to this….

Humidity levels and elevation may be playing some roll my little brain doesn’t understand.

User Tag List