Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zeroing and bench lens distortion

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This is what I’m talking about above. I’m seeing distortion with this optic that I’ve never seen before.

I wouldn’t have noticed it without the MRS… but the single dot people could be affected without them knowing.

If the optic isn’t in a non-distorted place it really affects where the bullets wind up.

@Molon it’s not an issue with the gun accuracy, it’s an optic issue.
    I’ll be returning my EPS carry. This is crazy

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Molon

I’ll have to put this in more detail later. But I’m trying to describe something different.

I'm going to ask for your help to use the correct terms to define what I'm noticing.

If I had a parallax free system... but a poorly constructed lens of non-uniform thickness / density...

The amount of parallax could be variable, no?

Help me describe this, I think it's a problem with the quality and construction of the lens system more than the theoretical design.

1. The circle dot reticle of the EPS Carry I have is a circle when viewed in the lower 1/3 of the window.
    2. That circle is no longer a circle when I move it slightly upwards. It's dented.
    3. When I move that circle up a little farther, it gets more circular.
    4. When I move it up further... it's dented.

So to me that is a warped lens that adds inconsistency in aiming in the normal center region of the window that I would use in active targeting at speed.

Is it parallax, image shift or something different? I think it's something in the quality rather than the design of the system.

Also, the construction of most PMO has some element of image shift / refraction when you move it in your field of view. There are subtle distortions when viewing the target even with dot off, but with action pistol type use, it's "usually good enough" but lens quality and construction still play a part... it's something I didn't quite appreciate with some of these PMOs.
    Yeah, I guess it sounds like you're talking more about defects. Get a Trijicon RMR!
    Member of the General Population

User Tag List