Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: .38 Super Commander and Government Model

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the angle of the feed ramp was incorrect. They got it fixed, eventually, and it ran fine after that, but I had lost faith in it.
    Oh, ok. At least they worked on it for you.

I was interpreting what you had written as that they had refused since it wasn't their brand of ammo.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time trusting something used to protect my life to that particular scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Oh, ok. At least they worked on it for you.

I was interpreting what you had written as that they had refused since it wasn't their brand of ammo.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time trusting something used to protect my life to that particular scenario.
    They got it going, it was just frustrating to send a $5k gun back multiple times to get it to feed common defensive ammunition.

@Pit has had his own adventures with Wilson, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Who uses Critical Duty except for Mr and Mrs Hornady and the Wilsons?
    Lots.

It's the primary duty round for the FBI, and other agencies purchase it off their contract.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Some may not know that the 38 Super case has a small diameter rim as does the .32 ACP. Until the late 1980's Colt 1911's in 38 Super head spaced on this rim. Poor accuracy was a result. Around 1986 Sig chambered their 220 series in 38 Super and had the case head space on its mouth. Accuracy was much better. Colt soon after made their 38 Super barrels head space on the case mouth.

James Clark, Louisiana pistol smith, used 38 Super barrels in making his 1911 38 Spl wadcutter target pistols. Many of these came from customers' pistols after Clark fitted Bar-Sto barrels in their Supers. Bar-Sto barrels had the better head space system.

I've not reloaded this caliber in many years, but when I did, the only time I saw a significant velocity increase over 9mm loads was using 100 grain bullets. For me a restraining factor was possibility of blowing out the case head in unramped barrels. I used .355 jacketed bullets. Your experience may vary. I was using Unique and Blue Dot.

For many decades reloaders viewed the 38 Super as a problem child. The rifle cartridge sharing this shame was the 220 Swift.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    If you want a reliable 1911 platform in 9mm, then look to Nighthawk Custom or Dan Wesson.
    I would add Alchemy Custom Weaponry to that list. My Wilson Combat 9mm Commander had too much extractor tension from the factory but since I corrected that it has been 100%.

Site Supporter
    Maybe I'm lucky. I never had a 1911 9mm that did not operate reliably after minimal tweaking. All were Colt. My current one is in the shop having the ejector replaced. +P+ ammo bent it double. I straightened the part with pliers. This to me indicated faulty heat treating.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    For something for carrying, self-defense I don't use any of my 38s because of the above mentioned lack of super quality defensive ammo. While Wilson may make something that looks good, given the issues we see with their customer service with their handguns, I don't know how much I would trust their ammo since they are a handgun company and not known for being an ammo company. I also don't like the 1911 as a platform for defense as grip safeties and I don't get along at all. I may feel differently about one of the non-grip safety offerings such as the EDC X9, or something along the lines of the Wesson DWX.

So if I do get an opportunity to actually carry a handgun, it's almost always a 9mm Glock. They just work and are much easier to conceal and carry then the above mentioned full-sized guns.
    Run, don’t walk, and get a LWC built in super. You will quickly rationalize your way around the ammo issue

I have by now shot a lot of Wilson ammo (more than a couple thousand rounds of range and defense) and have been very impressed — I’ve had no issues with consistency. The bullet in the load I recommended is on Dr. Roberts’ list and I have very high confidence in it. My backup to the Wilson/Barnes load is the now-discontinued Silvertip — I have a large back stock. Buffalo Bore and Double Tap load the Barnes but I have less confidence in them based on experience with some of their 38 special loads.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I had a Colt 38 Super (ELCN) for about 2 years. I don't recall ever having a problem with it but didn't shoot it that much. But then I've never had a problem with any Colt I've purchased new. Just lucky I guess.

I sold it after I purchased my first Colt 45 ACP. I didn't reload at the time and 38 Super ammo was extremely hard to find and expensive, so down the road it went. A few years later I learned to reload.

I'm now thinking I would still have that Super if I had known how to reload for it. It was a pretty slick gat. The Super always reminds me of Chicago gangsters and Mexican drug lords. I can see how a person could go down that rabbit hole without being baited.

I'll probably never have another 9mm 1911 again, although I have plenty of 9mm pistols.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    They got it going, it was just frustrating to send a $5k gun back multiple times to get it to feed common defensive ammunition.

@Pit has had his own adventures with Wilson, as well.
    And that was with a 45acp no less. Made me take my refund and purchase an ACW. Haven't looked back.

To be fair, all my older Wilson's run great. That includes three 9mm's.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I had a Colt 38 Super (ELCN) for about 2 years. I don't recall ever having a problem with it but didn't shoot it that much. But then I've never had a problem with any Colt I've purchased new. Just lucky I guess.

I sold it after I purchased my first Colt 45 ACP. I didn't reload at the time and 38 Super ammo was extremely hard to find and expensive, so down the road it went. A few years later I learned to reload.

I'm now thinking I would still have that Super if I had known how to reload for it. It was a pretty slick gat. The Super always reminds me of Chicago gangsters and Mexican drug lords. I can see how a person could go down that rabbit hole without being baited.

I'll probably never have another 9mm 1911 again, although I have plenty of 9mm pistols.
    The southwestern part of my state has a very high Latino population, due to numerous packing plants. Because they're legal to own in Mexico, every gunshop always had one or two Supers on the shelf. Always nickel plated, with fake pearl grips and often with gold plated small parts. Good times.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List