Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Household flashlights recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    What about a headlamp. I have found those invaluable for things like going to the bathroom in the dark.
    And this ^^^^^

Site Supporter
    For power outages, I would seriously prioritize runtime over output.

I would also favor AA powered lights over AAA powered lights. AA cells are not that much bigger, but the difference in capacity is much greater than the difference in size.

A supply of Eneloops and a good charger such as a Powerex Maha 808 would also be worth considering. I specifically recommended that charger because it automatically use the correct charge current for each type of cell, and monitors each cell individually. It is about as simple to use as it gets.

I use a Microstream a lot at home because it's usually clipped to the corner of my front left pocket for EDC or it's in the basket I dump all my pocket stuff in. I like it because it's about the size of a Chapstick, and it uses a single AAA battery, which lasts quite awhile with the way I use the light.

I have a few Olight i3T flashlights. The i3T is about the same size as the Microstream but has a dual mode tailcap switch (which is easier to operate than the Microstream); the first click energizes the light in low power mode, a second click bumps the light to high power mode (which is about the same output as the Microstream). It, too, uses a single AAA battery. I use the i3T flashlights for when I get out of bed in the dark - the lower output works well for this.

I bought a Costco package of three Duracell flashlights which I keep around the house in handy locations for general-purpose use. I don't care for the multi-mode tailcap switch, but for the cost I can live with it.

Lastly, I have two each Streamlight Siege (AA batteries) and Siege (D batteries) for power outages until I get the generator hooked up and running.

If you aren't the type of person that is on forums like this, maglites are still super nice flashlights. The 2AA one is super easy to turn on and off without any buttons. If they don't need pocketable the 2 D cell is great. There is a 2 C one that turns on by twisting the head now. The 2 cell models don't seem like billy clubs and have long run times.

I'm a flashlight snob (although a lightweight one on a firearm forum) and still have a 2 D cell in my garage for when I'm working on stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    If you aren't the type of person that is on forums like this, maglites are still super nice flashlights. The 2AA one is super easy to turn on and off without any buttons. If they don't need pocketable the 2 D cell is great. There is a 2 C one that turns on by twisting the head now. The 2 cell models don't seem like billy clubs and have long run times.

I'm a flashlight snob (although a lightweight one on a firearm forum) and still have a 2 D cell in my garage for when I'm working on stuff.
    Years ago, someone on Candlepowerforums posted that their worksite uses Maglights because they are reasonably priced, stand up to abuse better than some more expensive lights, and are easily replaced at nay hardware or big box store when the abuse finally destroys one.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    My girlfriend would like to give her grandmother a couple of decent household flashlights.
    Well, how to ask delicately... just exactly how old is a grandmother?
    My mom is 84 and has something that looks like the crappy two D-cell lights that have been crappy two D-cell lights all my life, but now it is LED and is simple, works great, and is perfect for her.
    OTOH I just had a high school reunion and many of the hotties of my youth still kinda are, several have grandchildren, and can certainly operate a flashlight...

As far as a specific recommendation, a buddy got a gift from a supplier that he didn't need and he gave it to me and I have really been enjoying it, an OLIGHT Warrior Mini. It has a tailcap button, but also a conventional button. The tail cap gives you an option of bright (partial press) or brighter (full press), tap for on, hold for on/off. But my favorite thing is that it has four settings (perfect for taking the dogs out):
    1) If you hold the button down it comes on at the lowest setting. This is about as bright as a glow stick, and is perfect for finding your way around a dark house. At this setting it will run for more than a month on a charge, no need to worry about turning it off, you could maybe even leave it on like a nightlight, and have no trouble finding it.
    2) Hold down again and you get a slightly brighter setting is very useful, just bright enough to be able to spot dog turds in the yard without blowing away your night vision.
    3) This one is great, being able to shine around the yard with waking the neighbors. This is also what you get with a partial press of the tailcap switch.
    4) I call this setting Where The Hell Did They Go?!?!?!?!?!? Also available with the full tailcap press.
    If you tap the button on and off it returns to the prior setting, but since it is rechargeable in the morning I just slip it back into my pocket and leave it on. And the recharger is the simple magnet connection, I had it plugged into the USB in the console of the truck, but I have been using it every morning and evening since the time changed and I have not had it plugged in since.
    ETA: and the tailcap is magnetic, so it will stick to wire shelves in the house and the underside of a car hood.

If the grandmother hates it you or the girfriend would probably like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I don't have one yet, but have considered adding a lantern to my "lost power due to hurricane" collection of lights, and this may be a good option for your friend.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...tail/the-siege
    We lose power very frequently in my little burg, and, due to our relatively remote location, power outages tend to run 6-18 hours. I have "Siege" lanterns seeded throughout the house, and they do a great job during the cold dark...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Along with a standard flashlight as recommended above, I would also do something lantern style, which will be better for indoor area lighting during power outages;

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/siege-aa
    I have a Siege Light and like it a lot, for summer porch use I also bought a Thermacell lantern that uses AA batteries at Walmart and it lives in my family room. On its highest setting you can read just about anywhere in the room. The Thermacell bug function is optional and handy on a summer evening.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermacel...Blue/518333107

Site Supporter
    I have 3 or 4 cheap flashlights stuck to my refrigerator. You know the ones, free from Harbor Freight, or you can buy a pack of 3 lights with batteries for $10.00. I throw away the cheap AA or AAA batteries and replace them with lithium(heard the idea from a podcast). They are backup lights to my primary lights, but they are primary lights for my wife. She knows exactly where they are and the buttons are easy to press(she has severe rheumatoid arthritis). There are also 2 headlamps hanging there.
    Some pictures:

I bought some cheap lights from Amazon that had a lanyard, took an AA battery, and were easy to operate(single or two stage). You can get 3-5 in a pack. You guessed it, I took out the cheap batteries, installed lithiums, and gave them to my dad. He had one for his car, one for the front door, back door, and sliding glass door, and he kept one by his bed. I told him if the battery died in one to let me know, and I'd bring more. When he died I found four of the five lights. I have one in my car and gave the other three away.
    I did the same thing for my mom and her husband last year but also bought hooks with a sticky back and had them mount the lights in easy to find places.
    --Jason--

Grandma is 81 years old. She is still active and will do things like try to sweep snow off the roof. She doesn’t have a ton of hand strength which is why I was asking about lights with easy to press buttons. The head lamp suggestion is a good one and I was planning to buy her some of the rechargeable head lamps from Amazon like the ones I bought last year after one of LL’s threads. I hadn’t thought of getting some lantern style lights. That’s a great suggestion too.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List