Thread: Trigger weight vs length

Trigger Weight vs Length

Good topic of discussion that just got mentioned in another thread - the importance of trigger pull length as opposed to simple weight.

P.S. if the mods feel this is a discussion better suited to another of our topical forums, feel free to move it.

Yes, I would be curious to know more about the safety implications of longer/heavier triggers etc.

I know I once read about a study done with police officers touching and pulling their triggers under simulated stress even though they were trained otherwise and also reported not touching triggers in post-experimental interviews.

I wish I could remember where I read it, but since I can't I just refer to it as apocryphal evidence at this point.

nobody?

Yo Dude;

Took me awhile to find it but here's a link to a study about trigger pull and involuntary discharges.

http://www.policeone.com/news/120896...bey-the-brain/

Quite frankly I'm coming to the mind that I want a longish consistent thru out and shot to shot trigger pull similar to "EEE Gads" a revolver. Maybe not with the revolvers pull weight but approx 6 lbs seems right to me similar to Todd's HK LEM modification. That way I have a CHANCE to catch and correct myself if the bugger hook mistakenly makes it's way onto the bang button. Single Action leaves little room for human error. Even DA/SA auto's if you don't immediately decock between possible threats leave you open to this problem. Now during my carrier I've carried 1911's 2nd and 3rd Generation S&W DA/SA autos and have yet to shoot anyone. The one time it came close is when a kid came up behind me and stuck a gun like object in my back and said "stick em up" I spun drew and was 1/2 thru the DA pull of my revolver before I realized that it was a kid with a stick. If that had been a gun with a crisp SA action that kid would have had a hole in him.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 03-31-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Single Action leaves little room for human error.
    I found out that as useful a technique as the press-out is, I was unable to use it with my 1911s. I just don't have the motor control to "take up the slack" in a trigger with so little slack to take up. This discovery has actually had me toying with the idea of going back to a DA/SA SIG...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I found out that as useful a technique as the press-out is, I was unable to use it with my 1911s. I just don't have the motor control to "take up the slack" in a trigger with so little slack to take up. This discovery has actually had me toying with the idea of going back to a DA/SA SIG...
    I find the same with my M&P. While it's not as crisp and slack free as a 1911 trigger, getting the timing just right has been a challenge. Actually I'm having better luck with my revolvers utilizing the press out. Of course I've only been yanking the trigger on a DA K frame revolver for 30 plus years I better have it right after all this time. LOL
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

We are diminished
    1. The longer your trigger stroke, the more a good press out comes into play.
    2. No matter what kind of gun you're shooting, getting the gun aimed and the slack out before reaching full extension is a time-saver.
    3. You aren't trying to time the shot to break perfectly at extension. If it happens a little before that's almost a bonus. If it happens a little after, you're still probably ahead of the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Yo Dude;

Took me awhile to find it but here's a link to a study about trigger pull and involuntary discharges.

http://www.policeone.com/news/120896...bey-the-brain/

Quite frankly I'm coming to the mind that I want a longish consistent thru out and shot to shot trigger pull similar to "EEE Gads" a revolver. Maybe not with the revolvers pull weight but approx 6 lbs seems right to me similar to Todd's HK LEM modification. That way I have a CHANCE to catch and correct myself if the bugger hook mistakenly makes it's way onto the bang button. Single Action leaves little room for human error. Even DA/SA auto's if you don't immediately decock between possible threats leave you open to this problem. Now during my carrier I've carried 1911's 2nd and 3rd Generation S&W DA/SA autos and have yet to shoot anyone. The one time it came close is when a kid came up behind me and stuck a gun like object in my back and said "stick em up" I spun drew and was 1/2 thru the DA pull of my revolver before I realized that it was a kid with a stick. If that had been a gun with a crisp SA action that kid would have had a hole in him.
    Thanks very much! Both for the link, and for the anecdotes.

Very much appreciated,

Quote Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
    Thanks very much! Both for the link, and for the anecdotes.

Very much appreciated,
    No problems Dude. Always happy to share. Thats why we're all here.
    Scott

User Tag List