View Poll Results: Does your agency qual with duty ammo or practice ammo?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: We use duty ammo for quals

17 26.56%
  • No: We use practice ammo for quals

15 23.44%
  • Mixed (sometimes yes, sometimes no)

32 50.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does you agency qual with duty ammo or FMJ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We have people, both shooters and Instructors who turn their noses up at the training ammo and refuse to use it. Some think it will damage their guns. The only real issue is it’s rather dirty so I suspect they simply don’t want to have to clean their guns.

The only exception to this is the SIG MPXs. I strongly recommend our people only shoot duty ammo in the MPXs due to gas piston fouling issues..
    It’s noticeably dirtier than the Gold Dot. I hadn’t thought about telling the MPX guys to just stick with the duty ammo. That’s a good idea that I’m adopting immediately. Those things seem have more stoppages than I would like but the guys issued them aren’t generally keeping them clean and lubed.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    It’s noticeably dirtier than the Gold Dot. I hadn’t thought about telling the MPX guys to just stick with the duty ammo. That’s a good idea that I’m adopting immediately. Those things seem have more stoppages than I would like but the guys issued them aren’t generally keeping them clean and lubed.
    You may have noticed they revised / lowered the round count for full cleaning of the gas piston from every 5k to every 1500 (?).

My personal Gen 2 MPX doesn’t seem to like feeding flat point bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I'm six months out, but for years my department only qualified, trained and practiced with duty ammo. Too many cops still managed to end up with off brand FMJ from a public range in their mags somehow. This changed for a six month period when we had to dip into an old supply of FMJ we had just to keep qualifications going, since the.city pushed off my ammo PO requests for 18 months, and the department ended up literally days away from running out of ammo. I suggested going to FMJ, even a Readily Identifiable Training Ammunition type, but it was pointed out correctly that some cop would want the pretty purple bullets that matched her nail polish. That is not a joke.

Finally recommended moving to FMJ for all Academy training, since that is controlled and the recruits didn't leave with ammo. I had ordered some ammo to institute that policy, but I dont know what they're doing now.
    Just curious regarding the ammo that arrived just in time as you were days away from running out...

Was that your PD's own shipment arriving just in time, or was it an emergency loan from an adjacent agency?

When I was a kid growing up, I always heard about how the state maintained an emergency cache of guns and ammo at the various state police barracks and prisons to resupply cops with if a largescale emergency occurred. So, just figured I'd ask for curiosities sake.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just curious regarding the ammo that arrived just in time as you were days away from running out...

Was that your PD's own shipment arriving just in time, or was it an emergency loan from an adjacent agency?

When I was a kid growing up, I always heard about how the state maintained an emergency cache of guns and ammo at the various state police barracks and prisons to resupply cops with if a largescale emergency occurred. So, just figured I'd ask for curiosities sake.
    We received a shipment of the duty ammo just in time....only because our Ammo vendor was an awesome guy (thanks Ryan!!!). He knew the difficulty we were having with our city Office of Contract Administration (a whole story unto itself), and knew how long the process took, so after he sent us the quote, he placed an order with Federal to ship the ammo. If he had waited to get the purchase order a year later, we would have run out of ammo. He knew it would eventually come through, and even if it didn't, he'd be able to sell it elsewhere.

My old agency quads once a year with our old duty ammunition. After the qual it’s replaced with new duty rounds.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Isn’t Lawman ammo specifically designed to replicate the recoil of Gold Dot? Any agencies use such a combination or is it just marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Isn’t Lawman ammo specifically designed to replicate the recoil of Gold Dot? Any agencies use such a combination or is it just marketing?
    We used Lawman because our range tested it and thought it was a good training match for our duty Gold Dots.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We have a pretty outdated policy for this. We qual with the same frangible ammo we use for proficiency fire throughout the year. Duty ammo cannot be expended unless its for real world use. The duty ammo and practice ammo are not consistent in bullet weight, velocity, etc.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    We used Lawman or American Eagle prior to The Great Ammo Drought when it became more whatever we could get. I personally use Lawman if I'm using factory 9mm ammo, which given The Great Primer Drought is more frequent then it used to be. We used to be able to shoot dept ammo on Fridays at our range for open training, but haven't had that for years, either.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    My former agency expended duty rounds during firearms training which, for most officers, was twice annually. We usually started with pistol qualification, but there was no mandate for that. The only exception was during the great ammunition shortage when we had problems restocking duty rounds. For one training day, we downloaded our duty rounds and reloaded later.

When we transitioned from revolvers to the 9mm SIG 226, we used Hi-Shok (if I recall correctly) for both training and the street. When I moved into firearms training I pushed both for better duty rounds and FMJ for training.

User Tag List