View Poll Results: Does your agency qual with duty ammo or practice ammo?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: We use duty ammo for quals

17 26.56%
  • No: We use practice ammo for quals

15 23.44%
  • Mixed (sometimes yes, sometimes no)

32 50.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does you agency qual with duty ammo or FMJ?

Does you agency qual with duty ammo or FMJ?

Simple question spurned by another conversation.

Current day only, please. If there's enough interest, we can do one to compare/contrast from previous decades, though I imagine we don't have enough participants to make that worthwhile.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We used to qual with our duty ammo every year and change it out for new. When the ammo shortages/supply issues kicked in we changed it to every other year.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

We qual’d with duty ammo once a year at my old place. Other quals were with training ammo.

We’re supposed to do the same at my current agency, but ammo supply has occasionally dictated otherwise.

When I shoot with the agency I’m tasked to, it’s generally training ammo. They qualify four times a year, duty ammo is normally shot only once.

The policy at my parent agency does say that we’re to use training ammo that mimics the POA/POI of our duty ammo.

We qualify three times per year on both issued pistols, duty ammo only. FMJ for practice.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'm six months out, but for years my department only qualified, trained and practiced with duty ammo. Too many cops still managed to end up with off brand FMJ from a public range in their mags somehow. This changed for a six month period when we had to dip into an old supply of FMJ we had just to keep qualifications going, since the.city pushed off my ammo PO requests for 18 months, and the department ended up literally days away from running out of ammo. I suggested going to FMJ, even a Readily Identifiable Training Ammunition type, but it was pointed out correctly that some cop would want the pretty purple bullets that matched her nail polish. That is not a joke.

Finally recommended moving to FMJ for all Academy training, since that is controlled and the recruits didn't leave with ammo. I had ordered some ammo to institute that policy, but I dont know what they're doing now.

Site Supporter
    you could qual with either, but you were only given duty ammo once per year. The thought was once you picked up your new stuff you would go to the range to qual and shoot your old duty ammo. I personally always used FMJ and kept my old duty ammo for verifying zero on optics if I had to swap out or change batteries. Our practice FMJ was close enough to POA/POI as our duty stuff, but I always liked zeroing with duty stuff.

We qualified on lowest bid ball. Duty ammo was never issued but individually purchased from a list that is essentially any jhp from Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI.
    Qualifying or even vetting Duty ammo was never required or even mentioned.

An annual qualification with duty ammunition is supposed to be done. In practice, we probably shoot duty ammunition once every two to three years. No amount of explaining that while it is quite a bit more expensive, it's one box per officer per year when they are shooting about 600 rounds plus are allotted 50 rounds of practice ammunition per officer per month is really not a major issue, will change the brass's belief that it is "just too expensive."

What's maybe worse is that when new duty ammunition is issued, a large chunk of officers intentionally do not shoot the old stuff and cycle it into use for an off duty gun.

Site Supporter
    Not sure what my old agency does now, but before I retired I had everyone shoot their duty ammo on the first qualification yearly. Then switch to training ammo which matched POI/POA. Before they left the range they cleaned weapons and reloaded with new duty ammo.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Current day- Our qual course requires two consecutive passing scores, so on qual day they shoot their existing duty ammo until it's exhausted, then FMJ (matched to poa/poi as best as possible) for the remainder of quals and whatever other training is scheduled for the day. They leave the range with fresh duty ammo. Any other training days is done with FMJ.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List