View Poll Results: Does your agency qual with duty ammo or practice ammo?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: We use duty ammo for quals

17 26.56%
  • No: We use practice ammo for quals

15 23.44%
  • Mixed (sometimes yes, sometimes no)

32 50.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does you agency qual with duty ammo or FMJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Just back from FLETC...

New agents are training with Lead Free frangible ammo 90% of the time. Mix of manufacturers and weight, but typically 100-115gr ammo and relatively powder puff loads.

On pre qual day and qual day we will try and reserve the lead range to all ow for confirmation of zero with duty ammo, and a pre qual a couple of days before the qual.

We use a laser bore sight to "zero the RDS" before we issue the guns. We get a rough zero with the student. The problem is, Fletc is not consistent with what brand/weight of ammo we get day to day. So zero with 100 Gr Speer today, shoot 124gr Gold dot next week, shoot 115gr Winchester frang tomorrow, Purple RITA ammo next week... there is not a real shift for most shooters, but some hold a tight enough group that they will see a few inch POI shift ever day due to ammo changes. We cant re zero every day. So we do the bore sight day one, and then sight in with duty ammo the day before the qual. I never saw anyone move more than 2-3" on any gun at 25yrds, most guns were on from the bore sight.

Our duty ammo is 124gr Gold Dot, but fletc was out, so the last two classes qual'ed and sighted in with 147gr Gold Dot. You use what is in inventory.
    Being a gun guy dealing with bureaucratic bs interfering with firearms efficiency is maddening, I had to just not think about it.

Duty ammo is 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot (once or twice a year, we shoot the stuff we carry and replace with new stock)

We mostly shoot 124gr FMJ Speer Lawmen or Federal 124gr FMJ

However the last few quals I think we are moving to some Winchester frangible as of lately.

User Tag List