Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An intriguing development from InRange and KE Arms

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    FYI, Brownells has the black Civil Defense Rifles on sale for $699.00 and code MAY60 will get you an additional $60 off.

I was seriously considering getting a second BCM upper to build out my “backup carbine” but decided to give this a try. The only things I’m not crazy about are the carbon fiber hand guard (could be an easy fix) and the cassette type trigger if that’s what it comes with.
    I’m looking forward to hearing how it works for you.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I’m looking forward to hearing how it works for you.
    You and me both!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Their newest complete firearm release (announced on InRangeTV via ewetube)
    The Community Defense Rifle.

https://kearms.americommerce.com/kp-...enseRifle.aspx

Attachment 99740

It's a basic KE Arms KP-15 lower with standard type trigger and single side controls, mated with their lower cost "Civil Defense" WWSD 2021 slick side upper and an aluminum handguard.
    It looks like a very handy base-level carbine with 2023 features. I know it's probably at least a little overgassed with the Faxon pencil barrel.

I have to admit, I am very curious about the KE Arms setup. I did handle one of the current lowers at a local rental range and thought it might work well; my only trepidation would be with how the welded-together receiver extension handles high round counts with the metal buffer banging around the plastic baffles.
    I know at least one member here runs one of these lowers on a long-range rifle build and seems pretty happy so far.
    I built one for my daughter before they were an OEM option. She's petite, about 5'2" and left handed. I stripped an enhanced lightweight BCM upper and put it on a KE Armss WWSD lower with all ambi controls. Stupid light and very reliable. The upper was a proven product, 16" mid-length barrel from a known quality manufacturer that had worked well for me. I didn't have a lot of rounds through the lower, but there have been a lot of guys posting round counts in excess of 1k rds without malfunctions. I'm not saying they went that long without lube or cleaning, but they were happy with theirs and I was too. The A1 length is what I normally set my adjustable stocks to and never change. So the fact that it's a fixed length shouldn't be an issue for most people. Very strong. Did I mention stupid light? You can carry it all day without any fatigue, but more to the point, my build, and by inference the CDR, is an excellent choice for smaller statured persons without a lot of upper body strength.

I've come back and re-read through this thread a couple of times now. The good feedback on the lowers is reassuring because I have one of the stripped KP15 lowers I picked up from my preferred pusher LGS 12-18 months ago that I haven't decided what to do with yet (and usually forget about until I'm digging through the bin of parts looking for something else). My initial thought was a .22 build but if the CDR really grabs me, I can easily see building something similar off this lower.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

An intriguing development from InRange and KE Arms

I picked up the lower and went thru two different uppers to get something I was happy with.

Light, red dot and sling put me just at 6 pounds.

My first upper was a lightweight DoubleStar upper with their aluminum forend. It was nice, but still heavy. When I switched, I sold it to a coworker for $100… being he had everything to get it running on his lower (kept the muzzle device, accessories, bolt and charging handle).

I also tried a Primary Arms FFP 1-6x scope on that upper. Was nice, but had two major issues. First, it was heavy. Second, I built the gun as a spare rifle. For me in northern ME, if I need to shoot past 150 yards… it’s very rare. I switched the LPVO to my 20”, as I figured the extended magnification would be better used if I needed it. Tossed on a SIG Romeo5, and if I needed a magnifier… I do have one handy.

I picked up one of those Bushmaster uppers that CDNN had. Swapped out the receiver for a slick side receiver and did a few smaller changes to get it squared away.

Need to take a picture of it sometime.

For the Brownell’s/InRange/KE Arms rifles… it definitely did some good info for people to build their own takes on it. They likely will make money on them. But I usually tend to not like most designed rifles from any specific company. Hell, my only factory AR is my Colt 6920… and kept it pretty standard since it mirrors the M4s we have at work. To me, there usually are some parts which I rather change out… and if I get to that, usually can just make it cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    FYI, Brownells has the black Civil Defense Rifles on sale for $699.00 and code MAY60 will get you an additional $60 off.

I was seriously considering getting a second BCM upper to build out my “backup carbine” but decided to give this a try. The only things I’m not crazy about are the carbon fiber hand guard (could be an easy fix) and the cassette type trigger if that’s what it comes with.
    From what I understand the CDR comes with the KE Arms 12.5 inch Delta-S handguard which is aluminum. Only the full up WWSD build has the Faxon carbon fiber handguard.
    Lacking Gravitas

Thanks! I managed to confuse myself when researching them and only skimming the Brownells description. I’m going to blame it on trying to look busy at work while furiously searching the internet on my phone.😁

User Tag List