Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An intriguing development from InRange and KE Arms

An intriguing development from InRange and KE Arms

Their newest complete firearm release (announced on InRangeTV via ewetube)
    The Community Defense Rifle.

https://kearms.americommerce.com/kp-...enseRifle.aspx

Name:  CDR2-1.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  38.2 KB

It's a basic KE Arms KP-15 lower with standard type trigger and single side controls, mated with their lower cost "Civil Defense" WWSD 2021 slick side upper and an aluminum handguard.
    It looks like a very handy base-level carbine with 2023 features. I know it's probably at least a little overgassed with the Faxon pencil barrel.

I have to admit, I am very curious about the KE Arms setup. I did handle one of the current lowers at a local rental range and thought it might work well; my only trepidation would be with how the welded-together receiver extension handles high round counts with the metal buffer banging around the plastic baffles.
    I know at least one member here runs one of these lowers on a long-range rifle build and seems pretty happy so far.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

It does further the line up of lightweight KP-15 based rifles that KE Arms is able to offer, from the top-level WWSD, to mid-level Civil Defense, and now the Community Defense.

I'm all for making good carbines more broadly available to the market, and to get a cool item like the KP-15 lower into the hands of budget-minded buyers. I got my own KP-15 as a part of a lightweight SBR project, and I'm pleased with what I received.

I will admit, however, that I'm a bit snobby on the "touch-point" stuff of guns- I went with the KE Rekluse trigger pack, their short-throw ambi safeties, and their ambi mag release. The cost of ammo, of going to the range and shooting, and of attending matches is high enough that I'd rather sit out a match or two or dry-fire more-live fire less, for the same money, and have the more high-end gun.

Of course, KE is paying attention to customers and markets, and I wish them even more sales.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Name:  20230108_203041.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  74.6 KB

I as well as my brothers have been using KE lowers on pinned and welded 13.9/14.5 uppers pretty much exclusively for the last few years. I'm no operator at all, but for me it means my wife can handle the AR fine as opposed to even a very trim standard lower rifle being difficult for her. This means we can share just one rifle, which means I can afford to actually shoot on our budget with a baby and another on the way

Hm. On re-reading the KE Arms web page for this rifle, it appears they are using the Ballistic Advantage mid-length gas pencil barrel rather than the Faxon one.
    From what I have heard here and elsewhere, the BA is the better of the two choices.

If they hold up, this new rifle might join the list of really decent basic budget rifles.

@Noah @Bergeron

What sorts of round counts do you have through yours? (And your brother’s as well, Noah)

I’m thinking of a backup rifle, as well as a loaner for myself.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

My KE lower with Colt 20" upper (bottom).
    Sadly, I've only got a grand total of 20 rounds through mine, so...

Name:  ARs.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  68.0 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Most people with these lowers will have more rounds on them than mine, my project is only at an early stage.

I will say, however, that the principal technical authority on the KP-15 lower is Russel Phagan, and that dude puts the rounds down, and often posts video of himself shooting KP-15 builds at matches. The only time I've heard anything about wear with these lowers from the buffer are in these case of 9mm blowback guns with insufficient buffer mass. This is one a video from Phagan, and he relates that aluminum lowers also fail in this situation, except the buffer tube tends to strip out of the lower, so both are end-of-the-road sort of failures. On the other hand, that same video also describes proper buffer/spring setup for 9mm.

I wouldn't sweat round count on the KP-15.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Most people with these lowers will have more rounds on them than mine, my project is only at an early stage.

I will say, however, that the principal technical authority on the KP-15 lower is Russel Phagan, and that dude puts the rounds down, and often posts video of himself shooting KP-15 builds at matches. The only time I've heard anything about wear with these lowers from the buffer are in these case of 9mm blowback guns with insufficient buffer mass. This is one a video from Phagan, and he relates that aluminum lowers also fail in this situation, except the buffer tube tends to strip out of the lower, so both are end-of-the-road sort of failures. On the other hand, that same video also describes proper buffer/spring setup for 9mm.

I wouldn't sweat round count on the KP-15.
    Phagan IIRC also recommended to avoid braided wire buffer spring setup, of which the Geiselle Super42 is the only one I'm aware of, as it will abrade and wear out the inside of the buffer area.
    So probably should stick to standard buffer springs or the captured quiet spring setups they use on the WWSD rifle.

I've RO'd for a few InRange matches, so between my own builds (3 lowers, although no complete KE rifles) and other shooters, I've seen a bunch of KP-15 based rifles. Overall, they've been outstanding, with a couple proprietary-ish bits and quirks:

-Use PMag gen3 or GI mags. These lowers really don't like Lancers and early pmags can occasionally over-insert if you gorilla them.
    -The pivot/takedown pins, provided with even stripped lowers, are not captive. It's a slight annoyance, but a necessary design trade-off due to the polymer construction.
    -Don't use braided or flat-wire buffer springs. Phagen reports there's a possibility of damaging the internal bracing of the buffer tube.
    -Most KE complete lowers (that don't have JP buffers) come with carbine buffers. A lot of barrels are set up for H or heavier.
    -Since the safety detent is top-loading, use a KE selector. Industry standard ones will work, but will be a giant PITA to remove and doing so might damage the lower. The KE selectors are easy in/easy out.
    -Since the KP is so light, heavier barreled uppers can feel a bit front heavy. I use a BA Hansen and find the balance perfect.

The KE SLT series triggers and associated safeties have been outstanding in my experience and I highly recommend them. Phagen is the one doing pretty much all the customer service/tech support for KE and has answered questions above and beyond at all hours of the day/night/week.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    I have about 700 rounds through one KE lower that had an Aero R1 upper and BCM BCG with Faxon 16" Gunner barrel, zero issues. Sold that rifle to a friend when my other friend was selling his BCM upper. I'm at a few hundred rounds on my current BCM 14.5 upper that the previous owner cut to 13.9 and P+W a SF 3 prong.

I'm not a high volume rifle shooter, but my KE lowers have been through a run and gun type event, miles in the woods with obstacles and such, and are used hard when they are at the range.

FYI, Brownells has the black Civil Defense Rifles on sale for $699.00 and code MAY60 will get you an additional $60 off.

I was seriously considering getting a second BCM upper to build out my “backup carbine” but decided to give this a try. The only things I’m not crazy about are the carbon fiber hand guard (could be an easy fix) and the cassette type trigger if that’s what it comes with.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List