Thread: Remington Stock Differences (Dating an 870)?

Site Supporter

Remington Stock Differences (Dating an 870)?

I know, I know...if I had better looks and more charm I wouldn't have any problem dating an 870.

This may have been brought up elsewhere, but I probably wasn't paying attention.

All of the 80's through 00's vintage 1100/1187P/870P Remingtons I've owned/been issued with synthetic stocks had checkering on the pistol grip...

All of the more recent vintage Remingtons I've handled/seen have a textured area with a surrounding groove on the grip...and a definite "cheaper" feel to the stock.

When perusing guns online, often I either can't get the seller to offer the barrel date code or I can't make it out in the ad pics.

Does anyone know when the change took place? Is the stock a semi-reliable way to date the Remingtons as to pre and post Freedom Group?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I
    All of the 80's through 00's vintage 1100/1187P/870P Remingtons I've owned/been issued with synthetic stocks had checkering on the pistol grip...

All of the more recent vintage Remingtons I've handled/seen have a textured area with a surrounding groove on the grip...and a definite "cheaper" feel to the stock.

When perusing guns online, often I either can't get the seller to offer the barrel date code or I can't make it out in the ad pics.

Does anyone know when the change took place? Is the stock a semi-reliable way to date the Remingtons as to pre and post Freedom Group?
    I am not 100% certain, but I seem to recall that stock with the molded-in sling swivel attachment showing up in 2008 or 2009.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I'm not sure if the new stocks showed up pre-reboot, but I don't think so. If I were buying one online I'd go for the new stock, because QC is better now than it was 5-8 years ago. I own two of the new 870s, and they're better than the 2016 (or so) Police Magnum that I bought as NOS in 2020. I'm gonna change the stock regardless!

I was really hoping this thread would be about older 870’s since I just picked up one that appears to be from the late 70’s.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    I was really hoping this thread would be about older 870’s since I just picked up one that appears to be from the late 70’s.
    If you are wanting to find your 870's date of manufacture, here is a resource:

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun...date_code.html

Of course, this assumes barrel and receiver are as came from factory, no barrel swaps.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 01-12-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    I'm not sure if the new stocks showed up pre-reboot, but I don't think so.
    In 2019 I decided to dust off my old 1100 that I had originally "tacticalized" circa 1992, and started searching Ebay, GB, etc. for a factory synthetic stock to replace the old Choate FAL-style pistol grip stock that was on it. I saw several used (and they looked well used) stocks of the newer style, so I'm assuming they were introduced sometime prior to the RemArms period.

User Tag List