Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .375 H&H

GJM,

What glass do you have on that? Also I was wondering if you have trouble with the eye relief at all being so far forward.

Also have you tried to do a FAST drill with it at lets say 100m?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    GJM,

What glass do you have on that? Also I was wondering if you have trouble with the eye relief at all being so far forward.

Jay
    Looks like a Leupold to me.

There's a couple scopes which are designed to be mounted farther forward, and have 8"-15" of eye relief, in between pistols scopes which usually are 15"-20" (or more) and traditional scopes around 3"-4".

They're usually referred to as scout scopes, as popularized by Jeff Cooper's scout rifle concept. What GJM has is a certifiable "thumper" rifle in Coopers' line of thought (big bored scout rifle).

Here's a listing of some scout scopes......not shown is the Leupold 2.5x20, similar to the Burris 2.75x20.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    GJM,

Jay
    It is a Leupold 2.5 power, intermediate eye relief scope designed to be forward mounted on rifles. It is marginal in terms of being quality glass, but the forward position allows aperture sights to be permanently mounted, opens up the loading port for faster reloading, and keeps the scope out of your face with heavier caliber rifles.

I have done all sorts of rapid bolt action shooting over the years, but .375 H&H is at the threshold of what I want to shoot a lot, fast, without something trying to chew on me. I once ran a field course at Gunsite with a .458 Lott, and after about 20 rounds, I was a bit woozy.

"Thumper" is the inspiration for this rifle, as it is designed to work interchangeably with a 45-70 Guide Gun, or shotgun with Brenneke slugs for defense against grizzly bears.

JHC, yeah. I was trying to line two of them up, didn't quite work out.

GREAT LOOKING RIFLE! That thing is set up nice. I have a "beater" Brown precision custom Pre 64 Winchester in .375 H&H. I fell into it at one of my favorite gun shops in Lake Havasu. It was the saddle rifle for 25 years for a professional bear hunting guide in Alaska who retired to Lake Havasu (there is a dude who really never wants to see snow again). It was a great deal because I knew exactly what it was and the store didn't. I want to get some kind of scout mount done and run an Aimpoint ahead of the receiver. It seems that the only ones who talk about bear guns are on the internet and the guys in Alaska simply carry big bore levers or big game rifles..........interesting. I did a bunch of research after buying my rifle and found that .375 H&H is very popular in Alaska and other areas with aggressive bears as the are effective on both typical hunting game and bears who look at hunters as game.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My 6+1 .375 has Talley bases/rings, and I have a 30mm Aimpoint mounted in a Talley ring and zeroed for the rifle. If I had to follow-up a bear in thick cover I would like the dot to augment the irons. Jim Brockman would be a great guy to help you with that.

I prefer a Marlin Guide Gun for pure defense as it is so short and trim, but for hunting, I value the reach out of the .375 H&H. Brockman also set me up a .450 Marlin in a short action model 70, with a drop box magazine holding about six cartridges, that has aperture sights, a scout scope, and an Aimpoint (goes on the Talley base) and loaded me ammo (a 350 grain Barnes X and 400 grain Swift A Frame) that is like .458 WM light in a 6.5 pound, short package. Putting the .450 Marlin into a bolt allows you to use bullets that would be a no go in the lever, plus load them hotter.

375 Holland & Holland
    One World One Cartridge

Holy Cow!

It was a great deal because I knew exactly what it was and the store didn't.
    I just visited Brown Precision's web site and price list. Dang!

We are back from our Kodiak deer hunt, and hunting hard, my wife got a beautiful Sitka blacktail buck.

And, I LOVE my .375 H&H!

User Tag List