Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .375 H&H

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While .375 H&H isn't my first choice for a deer cartridge, the rifle/cartridge combination is out of respect for Alaska's largest brown bears which inhabit the area we will be hunting. My wife is carrying a .338 WM, and I am substituting a four inch Scandium .44 for my regular Glock 20/29 back-up handgun.
    Well with that much rifle I guess cutting back on the handgun is ok.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A guy who is well known on TFL/THR is a Kodiak resident and got chomped on by a bear while Blacktail hunting. Walked between a momma and cubs. Never saw the bear coming.

GJM,

That's a sweet gun, thanks for the pic. What stock is that? Brockman has worked on every bolt and lever that I actually use as well. Waiting on one right now from him. M70, or course.

Al T,

I'd love to see a pic of that gun, if you can. I have a 600 scout that I don't use. Maybe I should rethink that.

I have a Kimber Talkeetna in .375, and a Caprivi, also in .375. Lets just say that the Caprivi is fun to shoot and the Talkeetna is fun to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The sling is something I made up myself, with an objective of offering the "sling up" ability of a Ching sling, but at less weight and using just two instead of three attach points. I took part of a Langlois Ching sling and added a simple AR style carry strap.
    Nice expedient use of materials. It reminded me of the TAB sling, but without all the fastex buckles.

I believe the stock is a Brown Precision, that Brockman added the blind drop box to. We wanted extra capacity, but at minimum weight, and without the edges of a metal drop box.

As to recoil, shooting the rifle in the field, you never notice it, although I wouldn't want to do an extended sight in session with it from prone. My wife had a 7.5 pound .416, and that started to be something you would notice. I hunted elephant with a PH that carried a 6.5 pound .458 Lott, and that definitely got your attention. His lead tracker carried his FN-FAL (full auto) which made for an interesting combination.

I don't have collector firearms, with one exception -- this pre-64 .375 owned by a missionary in Africa. Each notch represents an elephant he harvested for the ivory to fund their work.

Name:  af 375.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  65.8 KB

Dude!!!
    That's Awesome!! I'd expect to see this post on 24hr campfire or AR.
    I love my 375 but it's a 375 RUM that my local smith built, pacnor 3 grove and McMillan on a Stainless 70 action.
    I'm a speed nut so it's running a two scope set up one for 300ge TSX ( 1.5-5 Lupy) and with the 270 gr TSX running 3050fps I'm running a 3.5-10 B&C retical, rings are quick change Tallys.

Be sure and post up pic's of the hunt man!!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

GJM, that M70 reminds me of a Cogswell & Harrison .375 my PH had as a loaner rifle. I'd have traded him my Sako in a heartbeat.

As long as were are talking .375 H&H, I have been to Africa four times, and taken a .375 each trip as a light rifle. My reasoning was that the .375 could harvest plains game well, back-up my larger rifle hunting dangerous game, and be large enough to defend myself if something big charged while hunting plains game.

The last three trips, I took a pre-64 model 70 with a Swarovski 1-4, worked over by Jim Brockman. Shot many smaller animals thru eland size, plus lion, leopard and the odd buffalo. Here is a buff that I shot with a .470 NE on a lion hunt in Zambia, and finished off with a brain shot with the .375 model 70.

Name:  buff.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  40.9 KB

I think the .375 is more viable today than when I went in 1989 as we have better ammo. I have a small collection of Winchester "solids" taken from my second Buffalo that were actually FMJ. The collection looks like crap as the FMJ bullets bent, riveted and squirted lead from the open base. The RWS soft points worked well. I was stationed in Germany at the time and ammo was hard to come by. My Sako .375 was my only rifle.

I did take a couple of ducks when we were in NW Botswana when we got a bit tired of Impala.

When I go back, dry land hippo looks like fun. That rifle will probably be a .416 of some flavor.

Did you punch holes in the ducks with the .375?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List