Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .375 H&H

.375 H&H

This morning, I verified zero with my 6+1 cartridge, 7 pound Brockman .375 H&H model 70, with 300 grain Trophy Bonded ammo, that I plan to take deer hunting on Kodiak Island in a few weeks. With zero confirmed, I got to shoot 200 yard steel -- let's just say the recoil was invigorating, and the steel swinger moved a tad further than with .556 or 7.62x51. Afterwards I shot some Brenneke slugs at 100 yards thru my Beretta Storm shotgun and Vang 14 inch 870, and they felt sub-caliber by comparison.
    Name:  375.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  44.0 KB
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 10-05-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Damn, that's a rifle.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

GJM, that's an absolutely awesome piece.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Bloody marvelous.

BAD ASS!! I so want a 375 some day. It looks great.

While .375 H&H isn't my first choice for a deer cartridge, the rifle/cartridge combination is out of respect for Alaska's largest brown bears which inhabit the area we will be hunting. My wife is carrying a .338 WM, and I am substituting a four inch Scandium .44 for my regular Glock 20/29 back-up handgun.

I've got that rifle's little brother. It's a Brockman built Rem 600 Scout with the same color green painted stock, .308, Ching sling, finished in Birdsong's Black-T and a M700 bolt handle.

I really need to get a camera.

My .375 is a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless.

Emphasis mine.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This morning, I verified zero with my 6+1 cartridge, 7 pound Brockman .375 H&H model 70, with 300 grain Trophy Bonded ammo,

Oh, and what sling is that?

The sling is something I made up myself, with an objective of offering the "sling up" ability of a Ching sling, but at less weight and using just two instead of three attach points. I took part of a Langlois Ching sling and added a simple AR style carry strap.

This rifle also started 10 or 12 years ago, as a stainless, synthetic, controlled feed modern model 70, and has gone through various iterations over the years. Jim Brockman has laid hands on virtually every bolt and lever gun I have.

Oh my! Now there's a business gun.

I've shot a 10+lb .375 (my bro's old Win Mdl 70- straight taper 25" barrel, somewhat mindful of a truck axle) but I dunno about a 7 lb'er.

The old H&H is hard on prairie dogs.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List