Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single or double point slings for M4 style carbines?

Hey guys,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a 3-point sling yet (tactical type, not a 3 point Ching sling).

I'm not sure what brand they were, but the one's we had in the Marines were able to be used like a 2 point which is nice for the reasons you've all mentioned. Unless we were on a hike or some other admin role, I'd almost always release the forward fastex buckle and use it as a single-point for field work. Seems like the best of both worlds, but I've never had experience with a dedicated two-point besides a cotton USGI or M1907 sling...

Comments?
    Last edited by TGS; 10-06-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    LL, I'm not offended at all by the term or what was said. I'm just a guy that likes to take a piece of equipment and make it work to the best of my abilities. I'm not a HSLD kind of guy. I just appreciate learning how to make stuff work better. I have a lot to learn. The single point works for me for what i do with it. As a hobbyist. I'm figuring out what I don't know one day at a time. ;_)
    Oh, come on, just admit there isn't a two point sling that you can wrap around you...

I've seen you shoot a carbine: you're qualified to add "serious" before "hobbyist".

I can't use single point for longer than 1 hour or so. I understand it is not meant to be used for protracted activities, but even from the standpoint of taking a training class, I can't do it. I guess my balls are too big...I have magpul's sling and I like the idea but not execution. I also saw it not do well at all, i.e. suck, in bad weather. Perhaps this emdom piece is better.

I prefer Vickers over VTAC for two points.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I can't use single point for longer than 1 hour or so. I understand it is not meant to be used for protracted activities, but even from the standpoint of taking a training class, I can't do it.
    Makes a huge difference if you're wearing body armor. With an interceptor vest, I could never feel discomfort from using a 3-point sling setup as a single point with my M16A4 with an RCO, VFG and PEQ15.

I tried on BaiHu's single point (Magpul?) with his Colt 6400 while wearing just a t-shirt and I didn't want to wear it for 5 minutes.

There are some slick aftermarket buckles and fasteners available that let you mod your sling to work in several configurations.

I use a modified VCAS with a custom tail to have a 2-to-1-point-convertible sling. Stole the idea from the Magpul sling which I tried and found sorely lacking. I only use this sling on SBRs and I move it around from gun to gun. I use a variety of front attachment points depending on the forend used.

My preferred sling right now is the Mission Ready Equipment Sheriff of Baghdad sling designed by John "Shrek" McPhee. It is essentially a VTAC, totally unloaded, and with the adjustment reversed. When attached far forward on the hand guard and at the heel or toe of the stock, it is surprisingly comfortable even with heavy guns and very usable in all situations I've encountered as a hobbyist once you know what you're doing and work the kinks out.

Which brings up a point... If you're going to buy a specific sling, it behooves you to understand how to use it in the manner the designer intended. That doesn't mean that's the only way to use it, but at least start out using it "right". I've seen a lot of guys bitch about this or that sling, only to discover they were using it all screwed up or trying to make it do something it wasn't designed to do.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a 3-point sling yet (tactical type, not a 3 point Ching sling).

Comments?
    Because they suck.

I used to use Wilderness "Giles" 3-points for much of the 1990's, on both M16's and M4's. In fairness, they worked OK for patrol carry, back when we wore suspender-style load carriage equipment, usually without body armor, and I sometimes needed to have my hands free for the map, compass, radio, etc. Once we started routinely wearing body armor, and carrying mags/gear on the chest rather than on the belt, the 3-points failed miserably, since they just get caught up on everything, and don't really serve any useful purpose other than to annoy the wearer and provide comedy for any observers, IMHO.

Even trying to use a 3-point for a few minutes drives me nuts now, even if it's just plinking with a .22LR carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Once we started routinely wearing body armor, and carrying mags/gear on the chest rather than on the belt, the 3-points failed miserably, since they just get caught up on everything
    Hence why I would use it as a single point when in the field.

I'd buckle it back up into its two-point like configuration when weapon/gear accessibility is secondary (admin functions).

I'm not familiar with the ones you had. Most of the problems I saw with people using 3-points was because they didn't give any thought, whatsoever, to how they configured and used the sling. Most wore them incorrectly, as far as I could tell....and were expecting too much of a sling to begin with. A tacticool sling is either going to be optimal in an admin role, or in an assaulter role.....not both. A 3 point allows you to either/or with the click of a buckle, which is what I found useful about them.

I'd agree with using a 3 point sling all clicked up is a clusterfuq if you're in an environment where weapon/gear accessibility is primary.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.

I bought a Giles sling from Wilderness before I knew better, and it's a three-point, but I don't think it's the kind you guys are talking about. As far as I know, there's no way to quickly make it a single point.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Traditional 3-point sling was great in 1990...they blow chunks now.

Is there a reason behind your statement? Is there something that prevents a 3-point from being used effectively in the ways I've explained?

User Tag List