Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single or double point slings for M4 style carbines?

Single points are specialized pieces of kit; the adjusting two point is much more versatile over a range of situations.

Two point, VTAC preferred.

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the two-point.

I've gone back and forth between the VTAC and VCAS a few times over the last few years/deployments. Both work well, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Single points are specialized pieces of kit; the adjusting two point is much more versatile over a range of situations.
    I understand. Let me clarify. I'm a Hobbyist? Is that what they call people who like to shoot and want to learn how to do it right?

I also have a 10.5" 5.56 and a 8" 300BLK SBR. So, knee banging isn't really an issue once the gun is guided out of the way. It's also an MS2 sling with a front sling attachment. So I use what needs to be used at the time, but it's usually single point.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    I understand. Let me clarify. I'm a Hobbyist? Is that what they call people who like to shoot and want to learn how to do it right?
    Slow down, dude. That's not what he said nor implied.
    #RESIST

I hear the "hobbyist" term used a lot, and it seems to have several meanings, context-dependent. Sometimes it's used in a perforative manner - sometimes fairly, often unfairly.

IMO where the single point is most effective is in the job description of "assaulter" - meaning you are transported to a structure in a vehicle, you egress the vehicle and enter the structure with the intentions of fighting inside the structure, moving through it.

I don't have any personal experience with the above, it's just an observation.

A parade sling...that's what they give us for the rifle range so that's got to be the best answer...right?

I generally prefer a good two point sling, seems more versatile in my limited experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    IMO where the single point is most effective is in the job description of "assaulter" - meaning you are transported to a structure in a vehicle, you egress the vehicle and enter the structure with the intentions of fighting inside the structure, moving through it.

I don't have any personal experience with the above, it's just an observation.
    I do have the experience above and you are correct, IMHO. That's why I have the sling I do. Riding to the target house in the raid van, jumping out, serving the warrant and then being done the single point is GTG. Standing or kneeling on perimeter or doing something along those lines, I prefer the 2 point configuration where I can cinch that rifle up close and tight across my chest. Comes in handy when you are kneeling down, working on something. Or when you have to carry a shield, or when you have to help carry a generator, or lights, or a stretcher or whatever. The rifle doesn't swing/bang around with a good tightened 2 point sling. I can't say the same about a single point, even a good single point.

This is the sling I use:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/se...a/Detail?no=57
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I do have the experience above and you are correct, IMHO. That's why I have the sling I do. Riding to the target house in the raid van, jumping out, serving the warrant and then being done the single point is GTG. Standing or kneeling on perimeter or doing something along those lines, I prefer the 2 point configuration where I can cinch that rifle up close and tight across my chest. Comes in handy when you are kneeling down, working on something. Or when you have to carry a shield, or when you have to help carry a generator, or lights, or a stretcher or whatever. The rifle doesn't swing/bang around with a good tightened 2 point sling. I can't say the same about a single point, even a good single point.

This is the sling I use:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/se...a/Detail?no=57
    I too am an assaulter, and I've been using the same sling as of late. Mine is a one off version, but close enough that you get the idea.

I used 2 points for years (also as an assaulter), and a single point for years before that. What goes around, comes around, or something like that. With kit on, I've never had my balls banged by the gun, and the single point lets me run the gun how I want. When I need to climb or cuff, I turn it into a 2 point. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Slow down, dude. That's not what he said nor implied.
    LL, I'm not offended at all by the term or what was said. I'm just a guy that likes to take a piece of equipment and make it work to the best of my abilities. I'm not a HSLD kind of guy. I just appreciate learning how to make stuff work better. I have a lot to learn. The single point works for me for what i do with it. As a hobbyist. I'm figuring out what I don't know one day at a time. ;_)
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

User Tag List