Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproofing cotton pants for field use?

Site Supporter

Waterproofing cotton pants for field use?

Due to my inability to put the fork down and because my favorite field pants are no longer available, I need to make some cotton cargo pants waterproof/water-resistant for field and camping use.

I have silicone spray in the form of Atsko Silicone Water-Guard as well as a bar of Otter Wax (similar to what Filson uses on their waxed products). I don't need the pants to be perfectly waterproofed, just water-resistant to keep from getting wet when moving through brush and such.

Which would be better?

Chris

Thompson's Water Seal

I grew up wading the creeks and rivers of WNC trout fishing. Back then the only waders available were the bulky heavy rubber style. I don't remember how I started doing this but I waterproofed several pair of surplus army fatigue pants using this Silicone Water Guard - 1 Gallon (atsko.com)

I would put them in a bucket and pour the whole gallon in, it may have even been multiple gallons, and I would let them soak for half an hour or so, then I would hang them to dry outside in the sun.

How it worked, the fabric was waterproof and when I got out of the water you could watch it dry in just a couple of minutes. However, I still got wet underneath, I did not wear underwear because it would never dry and I wasn't smart enough to waterproof a couple pair to fish in. One waterproofing lasted all summer long, the pants usually wore out before the waterproofing did.

Nikwax has some products for cotton.

When you do get around to rotating, poly-cotton blends and tech fabrics with an on-board DWR treatment are best.

The wax bars from Filson, Fjallraven, others can work ok but not all fabrics take the wax well or perform when waxed. All cotton isn't equal.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Scotchguard. The best I have found though, buy a pair of Filson chaps. They are actually very easy to put on and use, and they are much better than any product you could apply.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I grew up wading the creeks and rivers of WNC trout fishing. Back then the only waders available were the bulky heavy rubber style. I don't remember how I started doing this but I waterproofed several pair of surplus army fatigue pants using this Silicone Water Guard - 1 Gallon (atsko.com)

I would put them in a bucket and pour the whole gallon in, it may have even been multiple gallons, and I would let them soak for half an hour or so, then I would hang them to dry outside in the sun.

How it worked, the fabric was waterproof and when I got out of the water you could watch it dry in just a couple of minutes. However, I still got wet underneath, I did not wear underwear because it would never dry and I wasn't smart enough to waterproof a couple pair to fish in. One waterproofing lasted all summer long, the pants usually wore out before the waterproofing did.
    I have the Atsko stuff in a spray can. I might just go that route since it's the easiest way forward. I just need to keep splashes and such off, not stand up to full dunking.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Nikwax has some products for cotton.

When you do get around to rotating, poly-cotton blends and tech fabrics with an on-board DWR treatment are best.

The wax bars from Filson, Fjallraven, others can work ok but not all fabrics take the wax well or perform when waxed. All cotton isn't equal.
    I saw Nikwax get recommended elsewhere, but their website is a hot mess and I keep getting a bunch of programming errors when I try to pull up details.

Chris

Filson doesn’t offer anything you’re interested in? I have two pairs, one oversized so I can pull them on over regular pants or a pair of wools if its cold out. Periodically I’ve had to reapply the wax. And as the saying goes, I just stand them up in the corner until I need to put them on…

If we're talking about getting new pants... Fjallraven Vidda Pros are a great pant, take wax well overall or can be spot-waxed, and last forever.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Filson doesn’t offer anything you’re interested in?
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    If we're talking about getting new pants... Fjallraven Vidda Pros are a great pant, take wax well overall or can be spot-waxed, and last forever.
    Filson and Fjallraven are outside my budget. I already have the pants I want to use.

Chris

User Tag List