Thread: Black Aces slug question…

Black Aces slug question…

I picked up a couple boxes of these slugs because they were on sale and were the only slugs on the shelf at the time. I haven’t shot ant yet, but I can’t find any definitive info on them. I need to know if they are lead slugs or zinc plated steel. Anyone know???

https://blackacestactical.com/produc...velocity-slug/

10 shells for $270??

That can’t be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    10 shells for $270??

That can’t be right.
    At that price, they must’ve made of GOLD!!! I only posted the link to show the lack of info on the rounds. I think I paid about $15 on sale at local store.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    At that price, they must’ve made of GOLD!!! I only posted the link to show the lack of info on the rounds. I think I paid about $15 on sale at local store.
    Glad to hear that. I thought they might have some depleted Uranium.

Easiest way to figure it out for sure is probably just cut a shell open and see. If it is lead, a sharp knife or screwdriver or something will shave some material off. If it is steel, probably not.

Given the way they look, I would say lead because machining that shape into steel would suck.

Thanks for the suggestions. I put a magnet to it and it didn’t stick. I pulled this quote off an online ammo site though:

Black Aces Tactical 12 Gauge 2.75" 1 oz High-Velocity Rifled Slug
    High-Brass, Zinc coated steel head
    Slightly tapered hull mouth ensures reliable feeding
    1640 fps muzzle velocity
    10 rounds per box

My main concern is that my range doesn’t allow steel ammo for fire concerns. And at $1.50 a round, I’d rather avoid cutting one open to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I put a magnet to it and it didn’t stick. I pulled this quote off an online ammo site though:

Black Aces Tactical 12 Gauge 2.75" 1 oz High-Velocity Rifled Slug
    High-Brass, Zinc coated steel head
    Slightly tapered hull mouth ensures reliable feeding
    1640 fps muzzle velocity
    10 rounds per box

My main concern is that my range doesn’t allow steel ammo for fire concerns. And at $1.50 a round, I’d rather avoid cutting one open to find out!
    That is in reference the base of the shell, not the projectile.

That clears things up… thanks!

User Tag List