Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol "Outlaw" Matches

Quote Originally Posted by loper77 View Post
    Have you looked at NRA Action Pistol? Definitely a different mix of accuracy vs speed. Looks like there is at least 1 club in Louisiana that puts on matches. I'll hopefully be trying my first one in March in production class.
    I was going to say check out NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup. I trained for/competed in a match last year and it was a lot of fun. Definitely a different combination. It is unfortunately dying due to special requirements for ranges and lack of participation. The go fast crowd don't like it because the accuracy requirements are high and the bullseye shooters don't like it because there are time limits.

Also might want to check out Prairie Fire. It might be interesting to see where that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I was going to say check out NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup. I trained for/competed in a match last year and it was a lot of fun. Definitely a different combination. It is unfortunately dying due to special requirements for ranges and lack of participation. The go fast crowd don't like it because the accuracy requirements are high and the bullseye shooters don't like it because there are time limits.

Also might want to check out Prairie Fire. It might be interesting to see where that goes.
    @SLG and @JAG have been shooting Prairie Fire, and SLG has written about it on Pistol-Training.com. Looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    @SLG and @JAG have been shooting Prairie Fire, and SLG has written about it on Pistol-Training.com. Looks fun.
    I saw that. I qualified to go to the big match in Texas but it was too last minute to take it seriously.

I haven’t shot matches regular.y in a long time, but when I was shooting regularly I loved a lot of outlaw matches.

Universal Shooting Academy I) Florida hosted my favorite which was the annual Monster Match (around Halloween) run by Shannon Smith. Loosely USPSA rules but with the round count limit thrown out (plus a coupe of others I assume).

The only matche I’ve really shot at all in the last couple of years is Action Steel at OK Corral Gun Club in Okeechobee, FL. Idk if it’s actually some sort of sanctioned thing, but I always assumed it wasn’t. Basically USPSA rules but every target is steel. Other than the Monster Match, funnest match I’ve ever shot and I hope to be able to get to more of them this year (range is an hour away, which presents some challenges).

Finally, I myself ran a non-sanctioned two-gun match on and off for… idk a decade? And my understanding is that “my” match is still going on, presumably under some version of the rules I established. The rules were based on my Timmy world view at the time, but I think they held up and we got pretty decent participation. Main feature was that targets were either neutralized or not. That idea was based on some Timmy-ness but also some administrative-ness of making them easy to score. Dead or not, no standing around adding up hits. Iirc lead” was 2 hits to the A/B or three to the c or better. We also incorporated slung-rifle pistol transitions (*never* hot pistol to rifle) which was (maybe still is?) uncommon at the time and created some draw. Again, more Timmy-fueled than anything but still fun.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

All falling steel matches are my favorite.

I do enjoy steel more than paper.

I saw that Handgun Brutality opened up for public registration, which was exciting, but then I saw that it'll be over the Easter weekend, and that was a little sad to see. The rules look cool, and I'm really curious about Brutality-style shooting exclusively with handguns, but family priorities will be sure to make this a no-go for me.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List