Thread: Corbon 45 Auto +P 185 gr JHP?

Site Supporter

Corbon 45 Auto +P 185 gr JHP?

Digging around in the basement store of misc. ammo, I came up with two boxes of the Corbon from the depths of time. What are thoughts on this? Currently, I have some SD mags for my 1911 loaded with Critical Duty or HST. Not that I carry the gun that much except on the way home after a match or when we could, a walk in the park.

Is this round worth using, shoot it up? It's older. Save it for the end of the world? I searched the Ammo forum and didn't see much. I've got lots of FMJ so it's not like I need match ammo.

I had some Remington 185 +P years ago that was pretty effective on bowling pins but for some reason I never used it as carry ammunition.
    I’d probably hold on to it unless you knew someone that wanted to buy it.

Why hang onto it? Their site still shows it. https://shopcorbon.com/index.php?rou...product_id=255
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

collector's item if it is all in the original box....they went out of business about 4-5 years ago, son's company makes something similar...sell it or shoot it

I have always read things that said the conventional (not all copper) 185gr 45 acp stuff lacks the sectional density to be a reliable performer in the FBI protocols, but I suspect that is dependent on who made it and what gun/barrel it was fired from.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Digging around in the basement store of misc. ammo, I came up with two boxes of the Corbon from the depths of time. What are thoughts on this? Currently, I have some SD mags for my 1911 loaded with Critical Duty or HST. Not that I carry the gun that much except on the way home after a match or when we could, a walk in the park.

Is this round worth using, shoot it up? It's older. Save it for the end of the world? I searched the Ammo forum and didn't see much. I've got lots of FMJ so it's not like I need match ammo.
    Besides having a relatively low sectional density in this case (it is 0.130 for a .451'' 185-grain JHP), Corbon's conventional ''cup & core'' construction JHPs tend to be rather fragile and shed significant mass through fragmentation which invariably leads to reduced penetration depth.

Other than some possible collector value (how much are those two boxes really worth?), there's probably not much reason to keep it around.

That Corbon continues to rely upon the failed M&S dogma as ad-hype for their line of ammunition isn't exactly confidence-inspiring either.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    I got a box or so of it in a baggie of partial boxes and loose rounds (widow sold all the guns to a gun shop and gave them all the ammo, too - they couldn’t sell the baggie, so they gave me all of the .45 ammo). It was really accurate in my 4516, not noticeably different recoil-wise than anything else.

I still have about a magazine or two worth of it that I kept around b/c getting factory hollow points was a major challenge for a while, but they are no longer in magazines b/c I got a box of HSTs. I’ll probably shoot them up the next time I take the 4516 to the range.

User Tag List