Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why I HATE pistol red dot sights…

Site Supporter
    I had trouble with an RMR basically from the get go and the Holosuns have been good to go for me.

Nevertheless, I still really enjoy guns that are iron sights only.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

@Warped Mindless since you asked...

For those who fully embrace the dot life, I get it, they work for you. With that said , I'm not looking to be corrected on how my experience is invalid.

Trijicon RM06C: Flickering / power loss issues. Yes they have a warranty, but I couldn't hold the warranty card up to the problem.

Trijicon RM06C: Yes it has drain holes. The holes didn't drain, presenting a lens full of red.

Trijicon RM05G: Large snow flake landed on emitter, presenting a lens full of diffused red. I know, I know one in a million, except it happened multiple times that session.

Holosun: Don't recall what model. Wouldn't hold zero. Yes they have a warranty, but again I couldn't hold the warranty card up to the problem and make it go away.

All the above were installed properly by me.

SIG Romeo Zero: Emitter could be seen bouncing in recoil, and settling in various spots. Not mine, appeared mounted properly.

Various general issues:

Fogging, happened multiple times with the RM06C, RM05G, RM01, Riton MPRD, Swampfox Sentinel M.

Auto bright: Various auto bright issues with RM01, either too bright, or too dim for light / target combination.

I have never had properly installed irons disappear. Can't say the same for dots.

I'm not anti dot, but at this point in time they don't serve me well.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @Warped Mindless since you asked...

For those who fully embrace the dot life, I get it, they work for you. With that said , I'm not looking to be corrected on how my experience is invalid.

Trijicon RM06C: Flickering / power loss issues. Yes they have a warranty, but I couldn't hold the warranty card up to the problem.

Trijicon RM06C: Yes it has drain holes. The holes didn't drain, presenting a lens full of red.

Trijicon RM05G: Large snow flake landed on emitter, presenting a lens full of diffused red. I know, I know one in a million, except it happened multiple times that session.

Holosun: Don't recall what model. Wouldn't hold zero. Yes they have a warranty, but again I couldn't hold the warranty card up to the problem and make it go away.

All the above were installed properly by me.

SIG Romeo Zero: Emitter could be seen bouncing in recoil, and settling in various spots. Not mine, appeared mounted properly.

Various general issues:

Fogging, happened multiple times with the RM06C, RM05G, RM01, Riton MPRD, Swampfox Sentinel M.

Auto bright: Various auto bright issues with RM01, either too bright, or too dim for light / target combination.

I have never had properly installed irons disappear. Can't say the same for dots.

I'm not anti dot, but at this point in time they don't serve me well.
    You have my luck!

As a add on to the post above…

I’ve posted about my experience with red dots in a few places and I’ve had several people reach out to me telling me about how they have also had a ton of problems but that any time they speak up they get so much hate.

Thankfully, the posters here are more mature and respectful.

I will say that in some ways it’s like a cult for some people. Go to Reddit and post something bad about RDS and watch the absolute hate you get as if somehow your opinion is insulting their very life. Ridiculous.

All that said, can’t wait to see how the technology improves in the coming years.

UPDATE: The 407kx2 on my 365xl-m was out of zero this morning.

It was off my about 2 inches at 10yds.

Confirmed screws were still tight. Its been close to 1000 RDS and daily dryfire since I put it on back on the 4th or 5th of this month.

Zeroed it back up and we’ll see how long it last.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    UPDATE: The 407kx2 on my 365xl-m was out of zero this morning.

It was off my about 2 inches at 10yds.

Confirmed screws were still tight. Its been close to 1000 RDS and daily dryfire since I put it on back on the 4th or 5th of this month.

Zeroed it back up and we’ll see how long it last.
    You should consider investing in a Wheeler laser bore sighter, which will allow you to regularly confirm zero (or at least to within an inch or two at 25 yards). If you report the optic is off two inches the next time you shoot, you may have some (trigger) explaining to do!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You should consider investing in a Wheeler laser bore sighter, which will allow you to regularly confirm zero (or at least to within an inch or two at 25 yards). If you report the optic is off two inches the next time you shoot, you may have some (trigger) explaining to do!
    I have something similar. I could tell the optic was off as soon as I got a sight picture. Tested it, sure enough it was off.

Put 150rds though it and it held zero, Will test again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    I have something similar. I could tell the optic was off as soon as I got a sight picture. Tested it, sure enough it was off.

Put 150rds though it and it held zero, Will test again tomorrow.
    Do you think you bumped the slide and optic against something?

If not, unless I could come up with an explanation for the loss of zero, I wouldn't trust that optic. I would also be checking it with the laser boresighter frequently.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Do you think you bumped the slide and optic against something?

If not, unless I could come up with an explanation for the loss of zero, I wouldn't trust that optic. I would also be checking it with the laser boresighter frequently.
    No bumping.

Im to the point where I don’t trust any optic.

User Tag List