Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why I HATE pistol red dot sights…

Most common reasons that optic wont hold zero:
    Screw too long
    Screw too short
    Factory slide cuts and some adapter plates have too loose tolerance in front of the optic, putting all the stress on the screws. This is more of a problem with the smaller RMR screws.

I have ~6K through a new DPP NV model, works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    There are an awfully lot of benefits to red dot sights but I think I’ll just stick to irons. At this point I dont even want to carry the sig with the one working optic because I just dont trust it.

You all enjoy your red dots, I guess I’m going to go hang with the retirement folks, shoot my irons, and complain about kids being on my lawn or something.
    After being an early adopter, and having a lot of similar issues, that was my conclusion until fairly recently. I absolutely hate equipment that isn't reliable.

As @JCN alluded to, I recently had an EPS that wouldn't hold zero, and the solution was grinding 0.10" off the screws. But seriously, we shouldn't have to fiddle around with bullshit like sub millimeter variation in screw length on firearms that will be used for life safety.

Here's what's been trouble-free for me: direct mill for Holosun 509t2 and Acro. No plates. No screws. No fiddly bullshit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    They did fix the problem, which was an undersized decal. The DPP was great technology circa 2015, but is has been obsoleted, and I haven't shot one in a few years. It is unusual for me to see others shooting them in USPSA these days. I really don't know if they are holding up -- I don't hear complaints, but so few are shooting them.
    I think Nils just won the Natioinals with DDP, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I think Nils just won the Natioinals with DDP, right?
    Sig Romeo 3 (forget whether Max or XL)
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Update: took my gun and optic to a gunsmith my friend knows. He also has several optic pistols, EDCs an optic pistol, and competes with an optic (A class).

Told him that people on the internet, whom I respect, told me about the screw length issue and that while I didn’t see any issue I’d like a second opinion.

He looked at, removed it, remounted it, zeroed it and shot it. I took him out to eat and when we came back we shot it again. Same problem.

He looked at the gun and determined that it’s likely the optic. I told him my history is optics and the run of bad luck I’ve had. Amazingly enough he said that he refuses to buy another trijicon because out of the four he’s bought only one worked and he didn’t even like it. Doesn’t make me feel much better about my run of bad luck with holosuns though.

Anyways I then had an idea…. Since buying new optics just don’t seem to work for me (minus the one I have that actually works), I’ll just buy proven used ones from people I know!

I’m going to see a friend tomorrow to buy a holosun 407k x2 that he bought new 8 months ago. He’s shot around 4k rounds through the gun that optic has been mounted on and he’s never had a problem with it. He wants to upgrade to an EPS and I want a proven optic. Deal was made.

We’ll see how this works…

Update: took my gun and optic to a gunsmith my friend knows. He also has several optic pistols, EDCs an optic pistol, and competes with an optic (A class).

Told him that people on the internet, whom I respect, told me about the screw length issue and that while I didn’t see any issue I’d like a second opinion.

He looked at, removed it, remounted it, zeroed it and shot it. I took him out to eat and when we came back we shot it again. Same problem.

He looked at the gun and determined that it’s likely the optic. I told him my history is optics and the run of bad luck I’ve had. Amazingly enough he said that he refuses to buy another trijicon because out of the four he’s bought only one worked and he didn’t even like it. Doesn’t make me feel much better about my run of bad luck with holosuns though.

Anyways I then had an idea…. Since buying new optics just don’t seem to work for me (minus the one I have that actually works), I’ll just buy proven used ones from people I know!

I’m going to see a friend tomorrow to buy a holosun 407k x2 that he bought new 8 months ago. He’s shot around 4k rounds through the gun that optic has been mounted on and he’s never had a problem with it. He wants to upgrade to an EPS and I want a proven optic. Deal was made.

That’s crazy. I almost felt bad selling my RM06 because it was a type 1 and was completely reliable for several thousand rounds even though many people had issues with the type 1s. I kind of wanted to keep it even though I had no plans to use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most optics eventually wear out when mounted on a slide. The flip side, is there are some new optic issues related to out of the box failures, or mounting issues. At 4,000 rounds, you are giving up a significant amount of the useful life of that optic. Pick your poison.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most optics eventually wear out when mounted on a slide. The flip side, is there are some new optic issues related to out of the box failures, or mounting issues. At 4,000 rounds, you are giving up a significant amount of the useful life of that optic. Pick your poison.
    You aren’t wrong but to keep buying optics that, for whatever reason, jus doesn’t work for me just seems insane. I’m going to drop $70 on this and risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’s crazy. I almost felt bad selling my RM06 because it was a type 1 and was completely reliable for several thousand rounds even though many people had issues with the type 1s. I kind of wanted to keep it even though I had no plans to use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My first slide mounted optic was on a Glock 19 cut and originally mounted by Mark Housel. That was 2010. It still works today after untold classes and about 80,000 rds. It is a type 1 RMR.

User Tag List