Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P 22 pistol for practice (For a Glock Shooter)

M&P 22 pistol for practice (For a Glock Shooter)

I had the Advantage Arms kit for the Glock in the past and wasn't super happy with it. Even though it is just a slide conversion the trigger pull still didn't feel the same. Coupled with the finickyness of it with ammo, and the weight of the slide affecting the overall feel of the gun I ending up selling it. Even though I primarily carry Glocks I've been looking into the M&P 22 as a possible training pistol. I'm looking for feedback from people who experience with the M&P. Is it "close enough" to the Glock that it would be an effective training tool?

I had a conversation with Bill Rogers about this pistol in the last two weeks. He is using it in their basic class, and reporting fantastic results. Said he shot it three days recently in a class, and it helped his centerfire performance.

I have owned several AA kits for GLOCKs and feel EXACTLY as you do about them. I sold my last one a month or two ago. I have ZERO regrets. I have also had other conversion kits in the past (1911 conversions, TacSol replacement uppers for rimfire pistols, AR conversions, etc.) and don't think I'll buy another. I prefer dedicated, complete guns. There always somes to be some quirk with a conversion, at least that's been my experience.

I recently traded into a M&P22. I love the feel of the gun. I have read a ton of great reviews and have a few trusted shooting buddies that also have great experiences with the M&P22. I think it's a great choice for a rimfire trainer. The fact it's more like centerfire guns and seems to be less ammo sensitive than even a Ruger 22/45 might give it THE edge.

Does it feel like a GLOCK? Well, no. It feels like a M&P. Would it improve your GLOCK shooting? Probably, just because. Practice, Practice, Practice.

For reference, I regularly shoot both GLOCKs and M&Ps. I own multiples of each.

I like the Glock .22lr conversion kits.

While the trigger is not the same, I like them because they give me the ability to practice on the cheap, and use the holsters I carry the guns in.

Is it the best kind of practice - no. I'd rather shoot centerfire ammo...but it is the practice I can get, so I feel it's better than nothing.

I purchased a Ruger SR22 for this very reason and have been pleased with how much it has helped me to maintain shooting skills. The trigger pull is not quite the same as a Glock or SR9 but handling is close enough to not matter. I considered 22 LR replacement slides for a Glock 22 but decided against this because I prefer an actual pistol to a conversion kit.

I have the M&P 22 and love it. I only have 300 rounds through it so far but it is a great companion to my M&P 40. If you look at my training journal http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...aining-Journal you will see the issues I have had so far. Im not sure if the FTF were magazine related or what but it seems like if I insert the mag to hard the first round will go nose up. Maybe thats it maybe not either way I'm glad I've got the 22 and just picked up another 3300 rounds for it.

Mike

I chose a Ruger 22/45 with a slab-side 4.5" barrel in my case to provide me with a multi-purpose analog .22 for my Glocks and 1911s. I added a Pierce Grip rubber fingergroove frontstrap and called it good.

Best, Jon

Question

The M&P22 is becoming more available, but there is that small matter of the magazine disconnect.

Has anyone posted instructions on it's remedy?

I found this on AR15.com http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/120440_.html

It is annoying but since your not supposed to dry fire a 22 I find it to be a huge deal for me.

So I took the plunge and picked up the M&P 22 this weekend. Put about 350 rounds through it with maybe 2 FTE, but that is about it as far as malfunctions. Mostly Federal bulk and about 100 Rem Golden Bulllet. It was shooting about 5-6 inches left at 25 yards but I will remedy that next time I go to the range as I didn't bring the sight wrench that came with the gun. Now all I have to do is find some extra mags.

User Tag List