Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock OEM Performance Trigger

Site Supporter
    I hope it works well for the people that use it, but I'll stick with my NY1 and SCD. The stock Gen 5 trigger was too easy to shoot, and if I couldn't use the NY1 and SCD, I would stay away from Glocks. I might have a different opinion about their stock triggers/this trigger if Glock would offer quality thumb safeties to the general public.

I don't want to derail the thread any further, so I'll leave it to the people who plan to enjoy and use this, but I share the concerns expressed by a few.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is always a balance -- triggers that are easier to shoot things you want to, are also easier to shoot things you don't want to shoot. Period.

I had a 2011 that the trigger ended up at 14 ounces. That trigger was too light. Even with a thumb safety, which many consider so important, I occasionally made loud noises that I didn't intend to. I had the trigger increased to 1.5 pounds like my other 2011 competition triggers, and the problem went away. The Glock Performance trigger is lighter than a stock Glock trigger by .5 or 1 pound, but is still heavier than many triggers people put in their carry Glock pistols. Unlike many after market triggers, it does not have reduced pre travel, and actually the trigger face is more forward, barely, than a stock OEM trigger.

Besides being slightly heavier, the main difference between the Glock Performance trigger and OEM is that the standard Glock trigger typically has significant creep between the wall and the trigger break. On my Glock Performance trigger, that creep is not there. Eliminating that creep, makes the trigger much easier to hit things with. Focus on this -- once you have reached the wall, the trigger breaks more cleanly. If you have reached the wall, you better be intending to shoot, and if not, god help you if you think .5-1.0 pounds of additional trigger weight is going to save you from your negligence.

Back to where I started, the balance between being easier to hit with, versus being easier to hit what you don't intend to hit with. The Glock can be a challenging pistol for some shooters to shoot straight with. This trigger will help all Glock shooters, from poor to intermediate to really good. Assuming it turns out to be reliable, and I am trying to figure that out, this may increase the shoot ability of the Glock, and bring it closer to the PDP, VP9 and other striker pistols others often prefer to shoot over a Glock. Time will tell.

This is exactly my thoughts. This isn't considered an aftermarket trigger setup. This is an optionally purchased factory part. Example, Most Sig p320's come with a standard curved trigger. They sell two optional flat triggers, one that just replaces the curved, and one that reduces trigger pull weight. Some models of 320 have those flat triggers in them from the factory.

This is the same tactic Glock is using with this product. As of now it doesn't come pre installed any any Glock model, but I suspect that will change in the future. When the Glock "-" connector was first released, it was only available in the long slide target models. Glock is going down the same road with the Performance Trigger.

As far as reliability, for all Glocks faults, one thing they do well is produce solid products, not perfect, but they are usually simplistic and work well. This trigger is actually quite simple in it's design, and works extremely well now. Long term we will see, but I don't see any reason why it won't go for thousands of rounds.

I suspect this trigger has been in the works for some time. I wouldn't be surprised honestly if they had this design planned before Timney had theirs. Glock doesn't get in a hurry about anything. Timneys Glock trigger hasn't been out very long, and I highly doubt Glock just rushed this out to the market. I have no idea if that's what happened, but knowing Glock R&D time lines, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Just because the resemble each other in function, doesn't mean two people couldn't have come up with similar designs. A seprate trigger bar and sear design isn't something new, it's been around more than 100 years.

Everyone is getting all wrapped up in the fact this trigger averages 4 pounds and being fully tensioned or cocked, why? Just about every other striker pistol out there has a trigger that is comparable as far as weight and function. So I guess no one owns any other brand striker pistol, except Glock?

This is nothing new, Glock is just once again late to the party. This is just their version of what everyone else has been doing. The way this trigger functions is completely different than the standard Glock type triggers, and that has everyone all frazzled. It took me a few days of dry firing it to get my mind wrapped around the fact my Glock now has a trigger that feels like my 320's, VP9, etc.

As far as safety, Glock is notorious for riding the liability train. Example is the afore mentioned connectors. For the longest time they weren't even available to the public, you had to be an LE or at least an armorer to get them. No hocus pocus with the performance trigger. This was dumped out to the market with nothing more than, " should be installed by a certified Glock armorer". If there was an inkling of this being unsafe as far as it's function goes, one I doubt they would have released it to everyone. Secondly, not only would it have been an armorer installed part only, but would have likely had "For Competition use only" in big bold letters on it somewhere.

IMO Glock designed and released this trigger to make their pistols more competitive with other offerings on the market. The time has finally come when their pistols aren't the most reliable, or the most ergonomic or the best value when compared to other pistols out there. They needed something that would at least make their models viable when comparing them to other pistols. At least now, they have a trigger system that is competitive to go along with the other attributes of their products.

I suspect the next step in their attempt to move up is going to be ergo revisions. I have heard from a few sources about some changes to the next generation. Nothing drastic, but if true will be an improvement.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 01-17-2023 at 07:45 AM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Site Supporter
    And we continue the trend of shorter and lighter triggers in defensive weapons.

The new trigger looks awesome. Doubtless it will cause many better scores on the range. I am hopeful that it is the only thing it causes. I understand it was developed for a Federal LE SWAT team...but most people who own Glocks aren't Federal LE SWAT.

4lbs with no take up sounds like they want to get in on those PPQs, VP9s and 320s. What pray tell will be the situation when someone's got a gun in their hand, doesn't need to shoot someone and is trigger checking like crazy? Or the dude who mexican carries his G45 or the other dude who pocket carries a g26 sans holster.

Put differently...

Would anyone here carry an Apex flat trigger + FSS M&P with no thumb safety as a defensive pistol?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I can only use my pistols for range use here in Canada but I’ve been a member of PF for a long time and I feel like I’ve read enough from the experts, taken enough courses, and shot enough competition to form my own opinions. A couple of issues I have:

- I’ve never liked the trend of putting lighter triggers in striker guns meant for carry, especially those without manual safeties. Length of travel is one aspect of the safety of the trigger, but pull weight is another. I’ve shot enough competition to know that a stiff trigger has saved a poor shot from me more than once.

- Lighter triggers, at least until this new one, and it’s so new the jury is still out here, have been notoriously unreliable. I wouldn’t trust the Timney triggers in a carry gun. No way. We shall see about this one.

- Messing with the stock trigger in a carry gun to make it lighter seems like it would open up an unnecessary attack vector, in a legal sense, should you have the unfortunate need to use it.

- Stock Glock triggers are perfectly shootable and reliable. I made master in IPSC with a stock trigger. How much better of a trigger does one need in a carry gun when the most important thing is reliability?

I understand your reservations… everyone has their comfort zone… however, this is a factory/OEM part… I’d put money on Glock testing the heck out of this thing and probably (at the bequest of their legal team) intentionally labeled it Performance Trigger, instead of “Competition Only” in anticipation of adverse legal issues due to folks using these for defense. I just don’t see how this couldn’t be defended in court… I don’t see your logic.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Besides being slightly heavier, the main difference between the Glock Performance trigger and OEM is that the standard Glock trigger typically has significant creep between the wall and the trigger break. On my Glock Performance trigger, that creep is not there. Eliminating that creep, makes the trigger much easier to hit things with. Focus on this -- once you have reached the wall, the trigger breaks more cleanly. If you have reached the wall, you better be intending to shoot, and if not, god help you if you think .5-1.0 pounds of additional trigger weight is going to save you from your negligence.
    Is it more like a 1911 trigger? I actually found the creepiness/sponginess of the Glock minus connector easier for me to shoot. In that it kept the release unpredictable to my brain. 1911 triggers with clearly predictable breaks lead to a little flinching on my part. It sounds crazy but I shoot the worse, spongier, longer DA type triggers better in many cases.

Either way, this trigger may prompt the experimentor in me enough to get out and shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Is it more like a 1911 trigger? I actually found the creepiness/sponginess of the Glock minus connector easier for me to shoot. In that it kept the release unpredictable to my brain. 1911 triggers with clearly predictable breaks lead to a little flinching on my part. It sounds crazy but I shoot the worse, spongier, longer DA type triggers better in many cases.

Either way, this trigger may prompt the experimentor in me enough to get out and shoot!
    I think there is enough variation in Glock triggers, enough difference in how we use words to describe triggers, and enough different techniques, that you will need to try it for yourself and see what you think. The great news, is at just under $100 it is one of the less expensive replacement Glock triggers and is so easy to switch in and out, nonwithstanding Glock's admonition to have an armorer install it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I picked up one of these triggers and installed it in one of my competition guns. Here are my observations and thoughts so far:

*I am measuring about 4-4.25#'s of trigger pull vs. 4.5# in my stock gen5 Glocks. It's always hard to measure precisely on Glocks because it's hard to get the trigger pull gauge in the exact same spot on the trigger each time, but I'm not sure how JohnnyGlocks measured 3.5#. Even putting my gauge at the very bottom of the trigger, I am still around 4#. I'd have no problem carrying this if it passes all of the drop and safety testing, because I don't perceive it to be any functionally easier to accidentally press than a stock trigger.

*The break point is definitely easier to overcome and occurs *slightly* earlier in the trigger pull, but the resistance on the slack prior to the break point is heavier than on a stock gen5 trigger.

*With the fully tensioned striker, my gun is not able to pass the vertical out of battery test with a 15# aftermarket recoil spring and 5# striker spring. It definitely won't pass it with a stock 5.5# striker spring. Point the gun up, press trigger, hold trigger to the rear, retract the slide and slowly return the slide forward to see if it goes into battery. This gun was passing this test with the 5# striker spring with a stock gen5 trigger setup, and it passes with the stock RSA, so I likely need to go to a 17# recoil spring if I want to use this trigger in competition.

*After you do a dry trigger press, the trigger still articulates back and forth against the resistance of the return spring. This makes it outstanding for dry fire and may be one of the primary reasons I want to use it in my competition guns.

I'll be testing it out live fire today and can give some more feedback afterwards.

For those not familiar with him, Gio is easily the most skilled Glock shooter on the forum.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Not that it makes any difference, but I was able to get confirmation the FBI was directly involved in the designing of this trigger system. Timney was not involved with it in anyway, it was manufactured by Glock.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 01-17-2023 at 12:54 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Does the trigger address overtravel at all?

User Tag List