Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock OEM Performance Trigger

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by eric0311 View Post
    It would seem that a marginally trained/competent user should be on the GPT packaging.
    Cleaning every 1,000 rounds is required for marginal competence, eh? I must be what the French call "les incompetents" (name the movie).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Cleaning every 1,000 rounds is required for marginal competence, eh? I must be what the French call "les incompetents" (name the movie).
    Haha around this time of year? Wife and I love our tradition of watching Home Alone around Christmas...

My findings on the Glock Performance Trigger:

Host pistol: Glock 19 Gen5 MOS

Total rounds fired (to date): 3200
    *Ammunition expended included Winchester 115gr ball, Winchester 147gr Ranger, Gold Dot 124gr +P, Hornady 135 +P Critical Duty*

Maintenance cycle:
    Pistol was lubed after each range session (range sessions typically involved 200-300 rounds fired)
    Pistol was cleaned cleaned ever 1k rounds fired
    Pistol was detailed stripped and cleaned (RMR battery replaced) at 3k

*pistol was lubed with SLIP 2000 according to factory recommendations*
    *GPT was lubed with SLIP grease every 1k rounds fired (factory recommended locations)

ZERO issues to report. No grittiness or failures to reset. The pistol was carried and fired primarily concealed/AIWB. I, unfortunately, did not complete a motivational overland Exteme-sport race, complete with full mud/swamp immersion (I left that life behind with my exploits in OIF)

Your mileage may vary… I think this trigger is a fantastic enhancement to the Gen5 9mm line. If you can follow the basic tenants of weapon maintenance and lubrication (at minimal intervals)on the trigger group, per factory spec, using weapons grade grease… you might gain some significant advantage with it… I have.
    I started reading the thread initially with the same attitude, but what @littlejerry relayed changes that for me. It wasn't the extreme nature of the race that took the gun out of commission, it was the introduction of brackish water and dirt into the trigger. That is not out of the realm of possibility in defensive use of the gun and even though it's highly unlikely, a Glock should be able to survive getting dirty and still function. If you are only fighting for 30 seconds and have to pick that gun out of a mud puddle because crazy shit happens, it needs to work. The maintenance schedule of the gun is irrelevant in that scenario. It can leave your hands squeaky clean and get fouled up very quickly. I was flat out wrong to discount this concern from guys who shoot more than me and can't practically clean the gun all the time. I don't have any competition guns (although I'd like to get into it) and I just don't want to compromise reliability for incremental improvements to trigger feel.

Site Supporter
    My findings on the Glock Performance Trigger:

Host pistol: Glock 19 Gen5 MOS

Total rounds fired (to date): 3200
    *Ammunition expended included Winchester 115gr ball, Winchester 147gr Ranger, Gold Dot 124gr +P, Hornady 135 +P Critical Duty*

Maintenance cycle:
    Pistol was lubed after each range session (range sessions typically involved 200-300 rounds fired)
    Pistol was cleaned cleaned ever 1k rounds fired
    Pistol was detailed stripped and cleaned (RMR battery replaced) at 3k

*pistol was lubed with SLIP 2000 according to factory recommendations*
    *GPT was lubed with SLIP grease every 1k rounds fired (factory recommended locations)

ZERO issues to report. No grittiness or failures to reset. The pistol was carried and fired primarily concealed/AIWB. I, unfortunately, did not complete a motivational overland Exteme-sport race, complete with full mud/swamp immersion (I left that life behind with my exploits in OIF)

Your mileage may vary… I think this trigger is a fantastic enhancement to the Gen5 9mm line. If you can follow the basic tenants of weapon maintenance and lubrication (at minimal intervals)on the trigger group, per factory spec, using weapons grade grease… you might gain some significant advantage with it… I have.
    If you want a good trigger, a 1911 or 2011 will run just fine with that maintenance routine.

Regardless, as posted upthread (Post 634) I’ve personally seen a GPT fail for reasons that have nothing to do with lack lube. At this point I would not run a GPT in any serious use (duty/carry) gun.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I started reading the thread initially with the same attitude, but what @littlejerry relayed changes that for me. It wasn't the extreme nature of the race that took the gun out of commission, it was the introduction of brackish water and dirt into the trigger. That is not out of the realm of possibility in defensive use of the gun and even though it's highly unlikely, a Glock should be able to survive getting dirty and still function. If you are only fighting for 30 seconds and have to pick that gun out of a mud puddle because crazy shit happens, it needs to work. The maintenance schedule of the gun is irrelevant in that scenario. It can leave your hands squeaky clean and get fouled up very quickly. I was flat out wrong to discount this concern from guys who shoot more than me and can't practically clean the gun all the time. I don't have any competition guns (although I'd like to get into it) and I just don't want to compromise reliability for incremental improvements to trigger feel.
    I'm right there with you. I actually like the GPT a lot. If I had a dedicated competition gun I'd put it on there. It worked fine indoors with basic maintenance but my round count also wasn't particularly high.

But field use and carry is a hard pass. I didn't do anything "extreme". I crossed a creek and got wet up to my waist. I did a short crawl on dry earth. That shut down the gun and it wouldn't work again until I detail stripped and cleaned each part of trigger mechanism.

Using the GPT did spoil me a bit. I'm really not enjoying the stock trigger. Not sure what to do. I tried a minus connector and it it feels horrible. I also tried an Apex trigger but it doesn't fit and so far Apex doesn't seem to care.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm right there with you. I actually like the GPT a lot. If I had a dedicated competition gun I'd put it on there. It worked fine indoors with basic maintenance but my round count also wasn't particularly high.

But field use and carry is a hard pass. I didn't do anything "extreme". I crossed a creek and got wet up to my waist. I did a short crawl on dry earth. That shut down the gun and it wouldn't work again until I detail stripped and cleaned each part of trigger mechanism.

Using the GPT did spoil me a bit. I'm really not enjoying the stock trigger. Not sure what to do. I tried a minus connector and it it feels horrible. I also tried an Apex trigger but it doesn't fit and so far Apex doesn't seem to care.
    Tell me more about the Apex issue.

I have been using the Apex trigger bar, a 5.0 striker spring, the OEM dot connector and the rest of the OEM parts for a very satisfactory Gen 5 carry trigger on multiple Glocks. Recently, I had a few Apex trigger and bars (G4 and 5) that didn't fit/work, and I returned them to Midway.

My issue with the GPT is it fundamentally changes the Glock's fire control system from an approach that has been proven out over decades, and it imposes maintenance requirements greater than the rest of the pistol. For a high percentage of Glock owners that isn't a good trade off. Glock historically has been conservative about making changes to their design, yet they seemed to jump into the deep end of the pool with this. Better they leave this sort of thing to Timney.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've carried pistols personally and professionally for almost 40 years. Even if I am not doing "tactical stuff" or a run-n-gun type competition, sometimes things happen. when least expecting to, sometimes I've tripped and fell into a mess. I've been dumped out of the boat when canoeing before. (Midwestern rivers that you would canoeing in are mud filled water.) I've been immersed unexpectedly in brackish Gulf water while on vacation carrying a Glock 19. More than a few times, I've taken a spill while going down snow and/or mud covered hilly ground.

My point is not that I'm a klutz, but sometimes shit happens.

I initially got onto the GPT bandwagon and bought three of them. I really liked them at first. But when I shot a LEOSA qualification with a GPT equipped gun, I was having a bit of a challenge getting my trigger finger into the trigger guard without inadvertently touching the trigger. My guess is that this was due to the trigger shoe being in a slightly different location than the OEM trigger that I was so used to shooting over the years. This only happened once while under the timer, but it got my attention.

Any Glock pistol that I might have put a GPT into would be a gun that I would be carrying for serious use. The increased maintenance schedule wasn't a deal breaker for me. At first. But when thinking over the past times that my gun met up with Mother Nature, combined with the minor hiccup I had shooting a qualification with a GPT in the gun, I decided to pull all three GPT's and sell them off.

I still think it's a great trigger, but not for a serious use gun.

Site Supporter
    Flat trigger shoes are popular on otherwise standard Glock fire control groups.

Has anyone pulled the trigger shoe off a GPT and put it on a standard trigger bar?

Is that feasible ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Flat trigger shoes are popular on otherwise standard Glock fire control groups.

Has anyone pulled the trigger shoe off a GPT and put it on a standard trigger bar?

Is that feasible ?
    I haven't looked at a GPT but i'm assuming it's held on the trigger bar with a blind pin like the standard part. You can easily knock the pin out through the polymer on the other side, but the trigger shoe itself is ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Tell me more about the Apex issue.
    I purchased a gen 5 trigger bar and connector. The trigger shoe is too wide and won't fit unless I "spread" the Gen5 slide release apart, and then let it pinch shut on the trigger shoe.

I can assemble the gun but, as you might expect, there is a lot of drag and the trigger feels worse than stock.

I purchased direct from Apex during their December sale. So far they haven't responded to email or phone. I sent pictures of the issue along with caliper measurements.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List