Page 31 of 75 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock OEM Performance Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Wait, I thought all the spring engineers have established that compression doesn't fatigue springs, cycles do.
    I'm not a spring engineer but I've played one on TV.

That's basically correct if a couple of conditions are met:
    1) The spring isn't in such a state of compression that it's overstressed.
    2) The spring isn't fully compressed, which both overstresses it and makes it really vulnerable to shock stresses

My questions to TXPOF were softball -- Glock generally does springs well (with some failings in a few executions of the RSA) and I am betting they're fine.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I'm not a spring engineer but I've played one on TV.

That's basically correct if a couple of conditions are met:
    1) The spring isn't in such a state of compression that it's overstressed.
    2) The spring isn't fully compressed, which both overstresses it and makes it really vulnerable to shock stresses

My questions to TXPOF were softball -- Glock generally does springs well (with some failings in a few executions of the RSA) and I am betting they're fine.
    Then you must have gotten an Emmy! Thanks! Learning happened!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Would the wear be any more than on a VP9, PDP or other similar design striker?
    It would depend on the specific spring design. There's no reason a well designed coil spring wouldn't function well in that condition.

Another really good question, though -- is the "firing pin" spring for the performance trigger the same p/n
    Ignore Alien Orders

Assuming the spring was properly spec'd and designed in the first place...and I've never really heard of issues with Glock striker springs unless someone lightened one too much... I wouldn't sweat it. It's like leaving a mag loaded with 2 rounds instead of empty.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Some parts remain the same...

It would depend on the specific spring design. There's no reason a well designed coil spring wouldn't function well in that condition.

Another really good question, though -- is the "firing pin" spring for the performance trigger the same p/n
    The "firing pin"/striker stays the same. The trigger assembly is a drop in-it consists of an attached trigger bar, trigger housing w/GEN5 9mm ejector, dot connector and different internals to n the housing. One doesn't get into the slide. FWIW, I haven't seen a stock firing pin spring fail, unless the channel wa so gunked up the assembly couldn't move freely.
    A couple of our folks got units in and I've played with one for a couple of days. It changes the "stroke"(my term): smooth take up and not much of a wall to my finger. Strong reset, to the point the trigger doesn't remain to the rear after release. Out of curiosity, I tried a plus connector. It had a 1911-like break after take up. That's a neat option to me.
    I would NOT take the trigger housing apart; not sure why one would as you have to pull the ejector out of the housing.
    Nice option, but I would want training and practice on it before carry.
    YMMV

Good. I can make it a lot simpler: I have fielded and tested a bunch of different designs of assemblies that use coil springs of comparable or smaller diameter and length, where we might make one version that has a preload of X and the other of Y, and they both had the same compressed OAL. I have done a ton of life cycle testing of such assemblies through millions of cycles and have not noted an appreciable difference in their performance. If the firing pin spring is well specified in the oem case, which I assume to be the case because I haven’t heard of them failing much, it will work just as well with the performance trigger.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I was testing mine with the Armorers plate which has an open bottom. It allows access to the sear without having to move the slide out of battery. That can effect how much force the striker is exerting on the sear. I was also prying on both sides of the sear assembly as this system doesn't have a ledge on the sear itself. I'm wondering if this can vary from frame to frame, just like the connector aspects can be slightly different as well.

TXPO
    I don't know what to tell you. I have no problem reaching in and releasing the sear. But that's a moot point. I consider this trigger and the Timney to be drop safe as long as you don't do anything to alter the safety related parts and their relationship with each other in the gun.

I do believe that the Glock Performance trigger is a better design overall. I have run both extensively with no issues.

YMMV

Do you happen to have a value for its extended (out of assembly but after 'cold set') vs. compressed length (as it sits in the assembly)? Is there some gap between the coils as it sits in assembly?
    I sure don't. It is held captive in this setup like it is in the Gen5 standard triggers with a small polymer piece that runs through the middle of it. I have not take that apart, so I do not know what its resting measurements are.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I sure don't.
    No worries— as I worked out above there’s no reason to be concerned.
    Ignore Alien Orders

@GJM I was curious what DB's thoughts were on the new trigger.... Totally understand if you don't want to speak for him.

User Tag List