Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: WTF? (why the frame?)- Slide mounted levers vs. frame mounted levers

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    "Location, location, location..."

As a general rule, all roads in the USA lead back to the 1911/1911A1. Its manual safety was placed just right to be a "thumb safety" for right-handed operators, and it serendipitously was also a clever bit of working (yet another) safety into a jigsaw puzzle of components back there at the back of the pistol. The actual interface with the thumbs of many people sort of sucked for a long time, but nowadays about anyone can find a version that works with their own issued thumb(s)...

...at least to push the safety off. Activating it can still give people a bit more trouble. And over the years, it seems that even practiced users can end up with a cocked and unlocked 1911 in their holster or waistband or glove box.

But, by golly, it is mounted on the frame!

So is the weird little "lever and button" of the CZ 27 and the oddly inferior - but politely informative - safety of the Pistole 08. Neither one gets much praise from anyone other than buffs and foamers, so "location" must mean more than just somewhere on the frame.

At an impromptu bull session during one of my rare trips to the John M. Browning Museum at the Rock Island Arsenal, a fellow visitor who I did not know from Adam opined that if Walther had set up the safety on the P-38 so that the safety lever had the protruding thumbpiece behind the pivot instead of in front of it, it would be as "instinctive" as a 1911, AND it would provide for decocking. He didn't bring up the potential fragility of the P-38's decocking "bits," and I didn't point it out. I bring this encounter up because, imagine if you will, a world where - just maybe - people would wax poetic over slide-mounted safeties.

In any event, the current state of the art vis-a-vis 1911 safeties is a "golden age," and they work just fine. That being said, I also think that the slide-mounted Beretta safeties are pretty doggone good now too, thanks to some long-time complaints about geometries being addressed. I seem to be able to function okay with either, and I am not exactly deft anymore.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

If you live long enough, you see every gun argument come back around.

1-Safeties bad. You won't deactivate the safety and will die. This one is really, really old, as in, revolvers are superior because you don't have to fuck around with a safety.
    2-Slide mounted safeties bad. You're too stupid to manipulate it and it will be on safe instead of fire, then you die. Probably old as well, but it was a big hit when Glock an SIG were taking on S&W and Beretta in the Reagan era.
    3-Frame mounted safeties and mag disconnect will save you from someone using your own pistol to kill you. The counter-argument to #2.

For the most part, bad safety locations have been weeded out over the last century. Anybody with a brain and the willingness to work at it can learn to use no manual safety, and frame or slide mounted safeties.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Also... who's DB?

MattyD... MattyD!

Follow the path of DB!

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post

MattyD... MattyD!

Follow the path of DB!

Haha.

Yeah, Dagga Boy has had some epic posts here. And, as self-acolyte of DA/SA… I figure it’s basically required reading. Thanks for showing me the way and the light… and some profoundly excellent James Brown gifs.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I think you all should buy DAKs….

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think you all should buy DAKs….
    On purpose ? https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....lly-buy-a-DAK-!!

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Yes! None of this decocker funny business!

15 shot revolver! Never outrun your headlights!

15 shot revolver!
    Sound advice!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeBee View Post
    Generally speaking, I don't have a problem with slide mounted solutions. I've shot some 92s and PX4s, and I don't see any issue with the location aside from a training perspective. I'm very accustomed to the frame mounted lever of the CZ P-07/09, so if I went over to something like Beretta, I would just spend more effort getting to the slide mount lever. Not a big problem in my opinion.
    Not enough experience with the P07, and my limited handling, made me believe I would like the decocker of the PCR/P01 I own better (not a big fan of flat controls for active use, flat takedown lever for cleaning, etc. fine). I don't find those much different then my 92's or PX4's (which I choose over CZ due to availability, weird, neighboring Kansas city Kansas and all)

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I’ve seen more ADs with the P7 than any other pistol. And it’s kind of a unicorn.
    Nothing to fall off a building over.

Site Supporter

15 shot revolver! Never outrun your headlights!

Nice shooting, dude.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List