Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Only warm temperature records are notable

Here's a well done story from the LA Times. Much more at the link and pretty well balanced.
    Fox News headlines this as "California storms not linked to global warming, some scientists say".

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...climate-change

"As California emerges from a two-week bout of deadly atmospheric rivers, a number of climate researchers say the recent storms appear to be typical of the intense, periodic rains the state has experienced throughout its history and not the result of global warming.

Although scientists are still studying the size and severity of storms that killed 19 people and caused up to $1 billion in damage, initial assessments suggest the destruction had more to do with California’s historic drought-to-deluge cycles, mountainous topography and aging flood infrastructure than it did with climate-altering greenhouse gasses.

Although the media and some officials were quick to link a series of powerful storms to climate change, researchers interviewed by The Times said they had yet to see evidence of that connection. Instead, the unexpected onslaught of rain and snow after three years of punishing drought appears akin to other major storms that have struck California every decade or more since experts began keeping records in the 1800s.

“We know from climate models that global warming will boost California storms of the future, but we haven’t made that connection with the latest storm systems,” said Alexander Gershunov, a climate scientist at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. “Assuming that these storms were driven by global warming would be like assuming an athlete who breaks a record was on steroids.”

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    So America was better off in the 1970’s when rivers were catching on fire and burning due to pollution? Would America be better off now if the the air quality in major cities was a bad as it is in China? Or maybe you think the US would be a better place if we had allowed people to kill off all the large game in America a couple of generations ago.

Like most things there’s a balance, and a lot of environmental laws have made America a better rather than worse place to live in my estimation.
    Name:  EPAisgr8.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  100.6 KB

There is a reason West Virginia is taking a stand against the EPA's overreach. It's an incompetent monster created by bureaucrats in the name of saving the environment when the real purpose is more government control. It pushes propaganda contrary to American life and engages in economic warfare with private entities. It also fleeces morons who believe not paying "carbon credits" for flying, cows farting, the "ever-shrinking rainforest", environment damaging electric vehicles, or even now natural gas stoves are going to kill us all.

The Earth would be destroyed according to all the bull hockey the environmentalist lobby has put out over the last 50 years. The simple fact is humanity doesn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground in the broad scheme of things. We will never destroy the Earth because on a long enough timeline the Earth will naturally change no matter what some jackass in DC says. Government solutions are Kyoto Protocol and King Gold Mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    So America was better off in the 1970’s when rivers were catching on fire and burning due to pollution? Would America be better off now if the the air quality in major cities was a bad as it is in China? Or maybe you think the US would be a better place if we had allowed people to kill off all the large game in America a couple of generations ago.

Like most things there’s a balance, and a lot of environmental laws have made America a better rather than worse place to live in my estimation.
    I don't think anyone is saying things were better off. Though, that is one mistake I see from many on the right is taking a naturally contrarian view because the left is so overbearing. Inevitably this leads them to thinking or acting like there's nothing to be improved and ignoring actual environmental issues that aren't great. I think it's good to try and improve those things when we can, to the degree it makes fiscal sense and to the degree it isn't substantially hurting human beings flourishing.

When it doesn't make sense is to the degree where we're talking about decimating world economies, bankrupting everyone, effectively bringing back a new form of serfdom (carbon credits, social credit scores, etc.), and likely leading to the deaths of millions due to rapid adoption of unreliable energy sources (wind, solar, etc.). The left has a perpetual inability to do anything in moderation while the right often doesn't do enough and allows too many to get away with too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    The left has a perpetual inability to do anything in moderation while the right often doesn't do enough and allows too many to get away with too much.
    Pretty much sums up everything in the last 30 years

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Yep, I see the problem as the wackos always go way too far and somehow have a complete inability to see beyond step #1. Electric cars could be helpful but they can't see the huge problems that the battery building, mining for the raw materials, and disposal cause. They apparently can't see that something like 80% of our electricity is currently made by the processes they hate. So more electric cars could actually make the problem worse. Wind and solar can help, maybe, but have tremendous problems w/ reliability as well as with materials for the cells and disposal of the huge fiberglass blades. Yeah, show me the data on gas stove and asthma. I am 74 and have had asthma since I was 12. But it has come and gone. There were many decades in there where it was gone completely. Daughter had it in high school but it is gone for her the last decade or so. I point that out because I would have huge doubts of any stats they put up to support their claims.

I needed a distraction this morning and I've sat here and read through this whole tread. I'm gonna try to summarize all my thoughts in one go.

I do not deny that the climate is changing, it always has and always will.

USA has 4.25% of the earth's population and our politicians continue to break our backs over climate change when the 2 most populous countries thumb their noses at pollution reduction. Politicians suck! I've been through India, ew.

Electricity production needs to be reevaluated and thought of as a smaller, more local resource. We still need large capacity facilities; the smaller local facilities could make up the shortfalls.
    Hydro, any city that has a river running through it has the potential to set up electricity productions. Floating water wheel tech is out there and could be use with minimal impact to the river. Just look at the old mills that setup using underflow wheels. Some had dams but some just diverted part of the river The Navy has nukes on ships that can power "a small city" so why not a bunch of smaller reactors in the places that has the resources to run them? Its more controversial but I think it could be a solution.

Last thing, one good belch from mother earth and all of this becomes moot. A single volcano eruption can and has changed the climate. Volcanic winter - Wikipedia Ther are deniers saying that that will never happen but those that fail to study history... and then there are those that say climate change will increase the cooling effects of an eruption Climate Change Will Alter Cooling Effects of Volcanic Eruptions - Eos According to USGS there are approximately 1350 active volcans, 44 of which are currently erupting.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Yep, I see the problem as the wackos always go way too far and somehow have a complete inability to see beyond step #1. Electric cars could be helpful but they can't see the huge problems that the battery building, mining for the raw materials, and disposal cause. They apparently can't see that something like 80% of our electricity is currently made by the processes they hate. So more electric cars could actually make the problem worse. Wind and solar can help, maybe, but have tremendous problems w/ reliability as well as with materials for the cells and disposal of the huge fiberglass blades. Yeah, show me the data on gas stove and asthma. I am 74 and have had asthma since I was 12. But it has come and gone. There were many decades in there where it was gone completely. Daughter had it in high school but it is gone for her the last decade or so. I point that out because I would have huge doubts of any stats they put up to support their claims.
    Hashtag virtue signaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

Electricity production needs to be reevaluated and thought of as a smaller, more local resource. We still need large capacity facilities; the smaller local facilities could make up the shortfalls.
    Hydro, any city that has a river running through it has the potential to set up electricity productions. Floating water wheel tech is out there and could be use with minimal impact to the river. Just look at the old mills that setup using underflow wheels. Some had dams but some just diverted part of the river The Navy has nukes on ships that can power "a small city" so why not a bunch of smaller reactors in the places that has the resources to run them? Its more controversial but I think it could be a solution.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...ory-commission

Small modular reactors would solve a ton a of problems if we could make the approval process less insanely complicated.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...er-11674881791

California’s statewide snow water equivalent—a measurement of how much water is contained in snowpack and a key component of water supply forecasting—is more than twice the normal amount for this time of year, according to the California Department of Water Resources. In the San Joaquin River basin, the snow water equivalent is at the highest level in decades, and in the Lake Tahoe area, it is at the highest since 1997, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Water and Climate Center.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/weath...-us/index.html

Dangerous wind chills as cold as 50 degrees below zero will blast the Northeast while parts of the South struggle to thaw from a deadly ice storm.

The mind-numbing wind chills set to wallop New England “could be the coldest felt in decades,” the Weather Prediction Center said.

https://news.yahoo.com/epic-californ...205523669.html

Epic California snowpack is now the deepest it's been in decades
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List