Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade in dad's PT111 Millenium Pro?

Site Supporter

Trade in dad's PT111 Millenium Pro?

One of the guns I acquired from my dad's estate (ie mom) is the PT111 he bought as a CCW gun back in the mid 2000s. Back when he bought it, I got to shoot it some at the range. It was reasonably accurate, but very ammo sensitive. Shooting stuff it liked, it was flawless, but if it didn't like a round, it was a total shit show.

I've learned about a recall associated with its lack of drop safety and a weird ability to engage the safety with the trigger slightly pulled, which completely invalidates the safety. I contacted Taurus to see if this gun had been fixed and if not what can we do about it. Turns out it's a "replacement only" situation.

So, I'm faced with keeping my dad's flawed gun (that could eventually find itself left to one of my kids) or trading it in on a newer model. It's not exactly a family heirloom, but I'm still a bit uneasy about it. He didn't keep many of his guns toward the end and he did like his little Taurus.

As far as using it or the replacement, it'll probably be mostly a range toy and sometimes pocket carry pistol when I want a bit more than a 5-shot 38 but don't want to put on the belt holster. It's about the size of a Glock 26...

Thoughts?

Chris

Site Supporter
    Sounds like a flawed design. If you want to keep it as a piece of memorabilia for dad, I’d think about removing the firing pin to disable it. If you want a functional safe gun, send it in for the replacement.

I would think if you can trade for something useful it would make more sense. At least then every time you use the replacement you will think of him rather than thinking of him every time you see the current gun sitting on a shelf. Anything can spark a memory and can be used in memory. Maybe they will take it in or trade on one of the newer revolver offerings.

Send it out.

Your grieving process is attaching sentiment to an otherwise unremarkable, generally unreliable, and apparently unsafe firearm. If it were at least valuable or collectible in some manner, I could see keeping it as is and putting it in a shadow box. But it's not, and it's not worth one of your loved ones taking a round to the face if it suffers an impact and discharges.

Unlike an heirloom quality gun or a service pistol carried for a career by a cop, the minor sentimental value you have for it will pass very quickly.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Here's an alternative way to think about the replacement gun: it's still your dad's gun. Granted, he himself didn't do the recall, but if he had they'd have sent him a replacement gun--and that's what you're getting, is your dad's replacement gun. Might be silly, but that's how I'd think of it.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Site Supporter
    Thanks all. That pretty much echoes my more logical thoughts on the matter.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Take pictures to keep for the sentiment. Then send it in for the fix like your father would have.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    One of the guns I acquired from my dad's estate (ie mom) is the PT111 he bought as a CCW gun back in the mid 2000s. Back when he bought it, I got to shoot it some at the range. It was reasonably accurate, but very ammo sensitive. Shooting stuff it liked, it was flawless, but if it didn't like a round, it was a total shit show.

I've learned about a recall associated with its lack of drop safety and a weird ability to engage the safety with the trigger slightly pulled, which completely invalidates the safety. I contacted Taurus to see if this gun had been fixed and if not what can we do about it. Turns out it's a "replacement only" situation.

So, I'm faced with keeping my dad's flawed gun (that could eventually find itself left to one of my kids) or trading it in on a newer model. It's not exactly a family heirloom, but I'm still a bit uneasy about it. He didn't keep many of his guns toward the end and he did like his little Taurus.

As far as using it or the replacement, it'll probably be mostly a range toy and sometimes pocket carry pistol when I want a bit more than a 5-shot 38 but don't want to put on the belt holster. It's about the size of a Glock 26...

Thoughts?

Chris
    If you don’t care to post a pic of your PT-111
    It may not be part of the recall
    Honestly you wouldn’t get much on a trade

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Thoughts?

Chris
    Given the multiple safety issues with the PT111 and other Taurus models of similar vintage you should do the replacement. A modern equivalent replacement will still have a “family story” without being a potential hazard to the family. Plus Taurus current equivalent models are MUCH better guns than the crap they were putting out back then.

Guns don’t have to be “Heirloom Quality” to be a family heirloom but they do need to be safe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    If you don’t care to post a pic of your PT-111
    It may not be part of the recall
    Honestly you wouldn’t get much on a trade

Thanks
    It's part of the recall. I've already initiated the process.

Chris

User Tag List