Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Beater: S&W "Bodyguard" .38

I was always interested these when they were on shelves in the $300 range - might be time to start shopping around again. Not sure what, if anything, it will give me over my LCR, but, it's always fun to compare...

I’ll admit to not having paid attention to new S&W snubs in…a long time. What makes this different from a 442?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Any other comments on Lost River wad cutters?
    Not really. I haven't been nice to this gun so haven't had a chance to really see what the Lost River load can do.

I can say that it is clean in new Starline brass, shoots clean, hits to the sights out to at least 15 yards, has comparable recoil (maybe a hair more) to Federal Gold Medal Match wadcutters, and the slight bevel on the exposed lead does smooth out reloads a little. The cases are also mildly tacky with lubricant so wipe them down or keep them away from dust bunnies.

They are loaded in the BG38 right now and I will be ordering more for what that is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What makes this different from a 442?
    - A bit bigger but pretty much the same weight.

- Ambidextrous cylinder release.

- More room for speedloaders with the slab side provided by the above cylinder release.

- Better out of the box trigger.

- Pinned front sight.

- Longer ejector rod.

- Fewer stock options.

- Some, like me*, seem to think it handles recoil better for whatever reason or combination of.

- Option of a frame-mounted mounted laser or not.

- Colt-style clockwise cylinder rotation.

- The little frame ledge under the yoke protrudes further out.

* Probably the fact that it fits me better than a J-frame, some polymer frame flex, good sights that are easy to track (personal theory that is a thing which may contribute to perceived recoil), and the chunky hand-filling aftermarket grip.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 01-10-2023 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’ll admit to not having paid attention to new S&W snubs in…a long time. What makes this different from a 442?
    A fair amount: polymer frame, different lock work, cylinder rotates clockwise into the frame like a Colt, cylinder release moved to top of the frame, lighter hammer for faster lock time, yada. Really it's a different design from the J frame. Never actually seen one in the wild though.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Getting a bit more detailed with a couple 442 vs BG38 differences:

Ejector Rod - In the BG38, it locks on the widened part of its waist proximal to the cylinder, versus a J-frame having the detent hollow in its tip. This make it less likely to paper punch skin out of your palm if a case sticks hard. It also makes some people think there is no forward lock-up. There is, you just need to look close and watch as you close the cylinder to notice.

Lockwork - The BG38 lacks a hand and has a negative star versus a J-frames protruding star engagement. The Center pin and hand are combined in the "Bodyguard" as a mildly sloped conical drive protruding from the frame. As a side-effect of the lower profile star in the cylinder, Revision CV Ammo Pod speedloaders get bullets a bit deeper before releasing. Combined with the slab-sided frame, these speedloaders are running perfectly well where they were iffy in every J-frame grip set-up I ever tested.

Now that I've mentioned speedloaders, the following have been used in my range and dryfire time, so far:

2x2x2 Pouch - Works like usual.

Loose cartridges - As above.

Belt Loop Cartridge Slide - Still the usual, of course.

HKS J-frame Speedloaders - Work fine.

Revision CV Ammo Pod - Not a fan in J-frames, worth a look in the BG38.

Bianchi Speed Strips - Same as a J or K-frame.

Ah, I didn’t realize it was partial polymer like the LCR. Becoming curiouser about this…

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

It's getting dark, about 0° Freedom with windchill, and a buddy helped me finish off a Heineken mini-keg* a few hours ago.

Carried the keg out a couple miles, went through the ice over a stream, got my boot wedged when a head-size rock rolled over it, extracted myself, and set-up when I got to a good clearing.

2/2 For depressurization hits at ten yards. Then 1/1 from a 22LR LCR at same. Just did this so the keg would be less likely to fly off the stump while further out.

Back to 50+ yards. Went 3/5 with the BG38 and 6/8 with the LCR.

Going back to the friend who swung by, he spent most of the visit dyfiring the BG38. He also pulled his 327 Fed. Mag. LCR, unloaded, and compared. We both slightly preferred the BG38's trigger pull. Smoother and lighter than the LCR while less springy. Just a bit but still. The cylinder release and ease of speedloader use also received comment while reloading snapcaps.

He proceeded to complain that Smith is not giving the BG38 the LCR treatment with a 32 caliber offering.

* Pretty much the size of a sheet of printer paper.

Site Supporter

SW Bodyguard

I’m really happy with your experience

I bought on NIB as I am a SW snob and wanted the LW version

I had it for a month and got rid of it as it had the absolute worst trigger of any revolver I’ve owned

My 642 and 442 are keepers but I dropped the BG like a bad habit

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticlightfighter View Post
    I’m really happy with your experience

I bought on NIB as I am a SW snob and wanted the LW version

I had it for a month and got rid of it as it had the absolute worst trigger of any revolver I’ve owned

My 642 and 442 are keepers but I dropped the BG like a bad habit
    That’s my experience with the bodyguard. If the trigger was not so inconsistent between examples I would enjoy it. But a ruger lcr has been much more predictable in how the trigger is going to be.

User Tag List