Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Beater: S&W "Bodyguard" .38

Another Beater: S&W "Bodyguard" .38

Let's say a fella had racked up some credit card debt on top of his mortgage and car payment. Murphy having been a grunt, let's also assume that our gentleman lost his job leading into the holidays. Not being a wheelgunner, patient, or a tinkerer, he opted to sell his BG38 cheap owing to its nonfunctional laser.

And now I have another snub for SCCY pricing having helped out my mechanic's kid. For it maiden range day, I grabbed a thrift shop hoodie and ran through the OPOTA handgun qualification (but with the first retention shooting string fired from a sweater pocket). 4' to 16 2/3 yards with some variety in the course of fire to get a feel for the little thing. Scored a full 25/25 in time and, more to the point, on a sheet of printer paper and inner flat of a paper plate. The junior legal pad sheet was a more ideal zone but running a flyweight 38 Special like I would my .22 LCR didn't leave me too disappointed.

Ammo used was a mix of some estate-sale 158gr LSWC +P handloads (20' reload stage), Precision Delta 148gr wadcutter creampuffs, and Lost River's standard pressure wadcutters (30' and 50' strings). The latter recoiling closer to the +P load than the mellow target wadcutter.

Still need to source a small selection of grips, try out some loads, possibly regulate the sights, see if I can fix the laser or want to bother calling the mothership, get a brace of Mika pocket holsters, bake a kydex AIWB rig, and maybe another DB Force Option pocket holster. Then decide what role the gun will play in the safe. Possibly being passed on to a new closing-shift cashier in the social circle or living in the car lockbox.

For now, I am wondering if people have been a bit unfair to this model. Yes, the trigger curvature is tight and rubs the top of my finger joint when shooting, the gun is homely as an Alabama family reunion bride, and the laser looks like a colostomy bag. But for all the kvetching I have read, there seems to be a lack of objective observations among them. "It feels cheap" has not been paired with "my department broke X number" as an example. And I have to admit to possibly liking the cylinder release. It leaves more speedloader room and works fine with the Ohio/Taylor method.

Has anyone spent some time with one or preferably a bunch? I'd be curious to see a thread discussing these things in more neutral terms. Possibly because cheap ugly guns seem to be my thing but mostly because I have a hunch that the bulk of complaints are not founded in any real, measurable metric.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 01-02-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    But for all the kvetching I have read, there seems to be a lack of objective observations among them. "It feels cheap" has not been paired with "my department broke X number" as an example.
    Following with interest. I asked about these a while back and the silence was deafening.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Congratulations, if for nothing other than this may have been the very first time in known history that the following terms were found in one single line of prose...

...the gun is homely as an Alabama family reunion bride, and the laser looks like a colostomy bag. But for all the kvetching I have read,...

I'm literally kvelling.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Weighs the same as a 642/442

“Different” cylinder release

No lock

Seem to sit on shelves

Pinned front sight but not sure if other types

Fairly sure proprietary grips (j grips don’t fit)

Ejector rod longer than J

Saw a new no laser for about 3 bills before the Vid. Went back to buy and was gone then well I bought something else

Would like to hear about long term reviews

Only thing it really brings is a better price point

Keep us updated

I recall seeing the BG Hogue grip chopped into a boot length in one of our J frame centennial threads.

I know an instructor in my area that’s been using the no laser variant for the past few years in his new handgunner class. Been through about 2k rounds with no issues. My only concern is the pinned front sight on the BG38 has a different pin arrangement than the other J frames.

P.S. I too am a fan of inexpensive and homely homeless guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I recall seeing the BG Hogue grip chopped into a boot length in one of our J frame centennial threads.

Someone will recognize the pic & the thread from whence it came.

I saved the pic on 10/18/2021 if that helps… was as a reminder to myself to eventually try it. Still haven’t. 🤷🏻*♂️
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jandbj; 01-02-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Someone will recognize the pic & the thread from whence it came.
    Damn those are cut short. How do you get them off again?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Again much like the Taurus no view, these would do better if they would: offer a sight selection, more grip support and choices, really need something to fill in behind trigger, like a well designed boot grip. I loved the handling, I had one with no laser I preferred. These should come in . 22 and . 32!! I had no problem with mine. I just got rid of it in my revolver snubbie phase where I just had too many, and couldn’t shoot em all 🙂

I recall seeing the BG Hogue grip chopped into a boot length...
    It has been done:

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Damn those are cut short. How do you get them off again?
    Remove the plug with a thin but stiff flat bar to pry it clear of the pin. Butterknife would work.

E: Forgot to mention that this unit lacks a locator pin and instead sports a long, headless machine screw and couple nuts to hold it. Original grip installation was not done with any elegance and I may have to smack someone.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 01-02-2023 at 06:18 PM.

User Tag List