Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you remove a RDS?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    That’s a good idea. I will usually just re-mark at the same spot… the toothpick makes it easy to keep it neat. The oil-based paint comes off really easy with a q-tip and some gun scrubber if the markings are looking too bad.
    @SoCalDep and @HCM (if applicable):

Very timely as I'm going to inspect some MOS mounted RMR2s. The plates have witness marks. If there is no indication of movement/looseness, any reason to retorque or otherwise address plate, aside from degreasing?
    Thanks in advance for any insights.

That’s a good idea. I will usually just re-mark at the same spot… the toothpick makes it easy to keep it neat. The oil-based paint comes off really easy with a q-tip and some gun scrubber if the markings are looking too bad.
    It’s probably borne out of my being an optic slut, ha!

I move optics around so often that I’ve just evolved “lazy man” efficiency.

Silver sharpie and a little dot at 6 o’clock on the screw.

Black sharpie to cover it if I use the screw again, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post

Very timely as I'm going to inspect some MOS mounted RMR2s. The plates have witness marks. If there is no indication of movement/looseness, any reason to retorque or otherwise address plate, aside from degreasing?
    Good question! I would leave the plate alone if it’s still tight.

Thank you sir.

Edit to add: makes me appreciate external battery compartments all the more...
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 01-03-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post

Same, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I put the slide in a padded vice, use Fix it Sticks, and press straight down to fully and squarely seat the bit. Heat if there is red loctite.
    I've found using a hot soldering iron touching the center of the screw for a short time works well.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    FWIW instead of marking the optic body (which gets messy after multiple marks from multiple screw witnesses), I’ve gone to just marking the screw at 6 o’clock. If the mark is no longer at straight 6, then it has moved.

That way no mess on the optic itself.
    I just use nail polish remover on a q tip to clean off the old witness marks

Unless it’s a weird non-standard screw that I don’t have spares of I will change the screws every time. I don’t necessarily think it’s required but at the cost of less than (usually) $0.25 - $0.50 a set I like using new ones.
    I think I would worry about the socket as much as the integrity of the screw, though I guess at ~15 inch pounds my worry is probably misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    I just use nail polish remover on a q tip to clean off the old witness marks
    It’s not a big deal for sure, but I just don’t find the step necessary.

I’ve never had a screw loosen that was subtle. Usually it’s an 1/8 or 1/4 turn when it happens so marking to the 1/64th resolution doesn’t seem to hold much extra benefit for me. I would consider it if there were only one screw but for a dual screw system, 6 o’clock and just not dealing with any optic marks works well.

User Tag List