Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta CX4 as a house gun

Beretta CX4 as a house gun

I have several 9mm carbine-type pistols, but the wife isn’t comfortable with the manual of arms on any of them. She likes simple, imagine a big 10/22.

I’m wondering if a CX4 would be a good house gun that she can use? Any pitfalls with them?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    imagine a big 10/22.
    Like a Ruger PC?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

"Big 10/22" suggests Ruger PCC but then you lose the B92 mag compatibility*. Of course if you've got a pile of Glock 9mm mags it's a wash.

I've got a CX4 and the Ruger. The CX4 has the advantages of B92 mags, magwell in the grip so reloading in the dark or under duress (or both) is a little less complicated, the mag isn't sticking out to snag something, and not having to think about the takedown function. The Ruger has the advantage of better trigger (MUCH better than my CX4), a handier/more trim package, better aftermarket/upgrade-ability.

All IMHO, YMMV, do not fold, spindle or mutilate, now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, etc.

*@zaitcev has 3D printed B92 magwells for the Ruger if you wanted to go that route. I really need to pick up a couple to try...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I was really wanting one in .45 for bowling pin matches. Of course they had just transformed into vapor wear in .45 when I started shooting pins. Just how my luck runs...

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Like a Ruger PC?
    I thought about that, but the OAL is a bit more than a CX4 - 35” vs. 30”. Plus the one I shot wasn’t hugely impressive.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

What does she lean toward?

I don’t want to sound snarky or disrespectful, but what, if anything, has she expressed a preference towards? The Ruger carbine sounds like a good idea. Those of us into handguns sometimes get deep into hardware and lose a significant other’s interest in the process. Plenty of good reviews about the Beretta, but will she honestly practice with it a bit? Questions only you folks can answer.
    Examples: I have one daughter who has a gun she was introduced to shooting with: a Ruger 10/22. She’s not inclined to carry, but has it at her place for “protection”. She lives at the edge of an urban area. She shoots a few times a year when I get her to. I’d much rather she have that little rifle, and ten rounds of .22 rimfire to “repel boarders” as Cooper once said, than a handgun she won’t stay familiar with.
    I think Ayoob or Rauch( RIP)wrote about a single mom years ago in a city who only had a bolt action .22. Couldn’t afford what we practitioners would consider necessary. But she made that work…
    I’ve got a handgun almost always on me. Might be a Smith 317 in sweatpants pocket. But it’s a choice I made, and I’ve worked with it. At this moment, seated in front of the computer, a G26 in an ankle holster-and so on…
    Again, that carbine might not be a bad fit. You folks would be wise to work out plans for scenarios, etc., but it seems your in that process.
    The very best of luck with it all.

Not snarky or disrespectful. I’m an analyst, and am trying hard not to bias her. Everything right now has been exclusionary tests. She’s analytical, too.

She doesn’t like the safeties or charging handles on my current PCCs (MPX and AR pattern guns) or my Scorpion. From her past 10/22 usage she is comfortable with the idea of a simple reciprocating side mounted charging handle and crossbolt safety.

My plan is to put both a CX4 and a Ruger PCC into her hands and seeing what she thinks. It may be neither.
    Ken

I think a CX4 is perfect. It has a short OAL for maneuvering around the house along with a 16" barrel for reduced muzzle blast, and is generally very simple and straightforward to use.

If you want to spend a bunch more money I think a PS90 is the perfect non-shooter ladies gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Not snarky or disrespectful. I’m an analyst, and am trying hard not to bias her. Everything right now has been exclusionary tests. She’s analytical, too.

She doesn’t like the safeties or charging handles on my current PCCs (MPX and AR pattern guns) or my Scorpion. From her past 10/22 usage she is comfortable with the idea of a simple reciprocating side mounted charging handle and crossbolt safety.

My plan is to put both a CX4 and a Ruger PCC into her hands and seeing what she thinks. It may be neither.
    Unless she is a huge fan of the Battlestar Galactica remake listen to what she is actually saying. If she says she wants a big 1022, that is a Ruger PC nine.

I’m sure one of the indoor range in your area has a Ruger PC nine available as a rental gun.

Hell if you’re all hot and bothered for .40 kings has PD trade in old style PC 40s with five mags and a stock mounted double msg pouch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I think a CX4 is perfect. It has a short OAL for maneuvering around the house along with a 16" barrel for reduced muzzle blast, and is generally very simple and straightforward to use.

If you want to spend a bunch more money I think a PS90 is the perfect non-shooter ladies gun.
    The PS 90 is a great gun design but the 5.7mm round it fires delivers pathetic terminal ballistics.

Unless you have armor piercing ammo and a requirement to shoot through soft body armor, it is a big no for anything other than a Range toy.

Also, if this is a matter of the perception of “scary assault weapons” vs “good 10/22” then the PS90 is out.

In fact a 10/22 full of mini mags with a red dot (and maybe a suppressor) is a perfectly valid choice.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-01-2023 at 08:38 PM.

User Tag List