Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for cast/coated bullets for S&W 625 .45 ACP revolver?

Site Supporter

Suggestions for cast/coated bullets for S&W 625 .45 ACP revolver?

I want to use full moon clips and a quick reload friendly bullet shape.

Accuracy is important!

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

Would you mind me asking on your thread if cast bullets loaded for semis will work fine with a taper crimp?

Fwiw I'll be using a lot of 200gr swc in my 625 because I've got a ton loaded up. Hopefully they load into the cylinder good

I've got some 220gr TC bullets loaded up too.

I doubt my 255gr loads will drop in as good as ball lol.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    No problem.....we're on the same team

I use ammo loaded for my 1911s in the 625, so yes the taper crimp works OK.

My 625 cylinders appear to be cut so that the headspace is controlled by a shoulder in each chamber, however when I use moons it appears that the headspace "may be" controlled by the moon clip.

Bottom line, my 1911 ammo works in the 625 with or without moons but of course ejection is easier with moons.

I have tried .45 Auto Rim brass and it works fine in the 625 but moons eject more reliably and reloads are much faster/easier than with the HKS speed loaders.

Jim

Site Supporter
    PM sent.

Taper crimp works fine. For the smoothest speedload look for a bullet without a shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by dmiculek View Post
    Taper crimp works fine. For the smoothest speedload look for a bullet without a shoulder.

These look to be Acme bullet company bullets. I’ve never used them for 45. I have used them for 9mm and 38 and have been very pleased.

I use these.

https://missouribullet.com/details.p...y=13&keywords=

I've had problems with my 625 pulling bullets. These have a small crimp groove that allows a bit of a roll crimp. I also use a Redding Profile Crimp die. Profile crimp dies provide a tighter more uniform roll type crimp and require the bullet to be seated to the correct depth in a previous operation. They are not for rimless cartridges but with a moon clip it doesn't matter as the cartridge is head spacing on the MC.

If you don't have a problem with your revolver pulling bullets then never mind.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I have used Missouri Bullets in .44 and .357...need to try the .45 now

The 625 headspaces on the case mouth just like the autos do. They'll even fire without a moon clip.

Reloading is a world better with full RN bullets. When I went to Nationals all I had were 200 RN with the little shoulder from Bayou Bullets. I worked up a load that seated it deep past that little shoulder and roll crimped over it. One guy on my squad said they looked like simunition rounds! That's the only load that didn't pull bullets in my three guns and at chrono it gave me two shots with identical readings and the other was 3FPS different. The chrono guy asked what powder I was running.

The 625 is a kinetic bullet puller. Even mil spec factory ball with sealant on the bullets pulled out. I just quit worrying about it because I don't think a crimp will ever hold it unless it's into a cannelure.

Reloading SWCs will frustrate the hell out of you compared to a full round nose. It's actually faster to drop them above the cylinder instead of guiding them in, at least for me...

User Tag List