Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eotech problems

Site Supporter

Eotech problems

Is this the correct forum. The RDS one seems pistol oriented. Mods can switch if needed.

Anyway, I have a 2007 Eotech 512. It sat on my AR from then till 2019 in TX and got me through numerous matches pretty well. When I moved, I sold the gun but took the site off. I have other sites on my Mini-14 and Ruger PCC. So I got it out today to see if I might want to use it on the PCC. Won't turn on. New batteries, cleaned the terminals the best I could. I emailed Eotech (closed for the Holidays).

So ideas? Worth playing with? I did like it as I like the reticule as compared to the simple dot on my PCC now. The current one is a Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight Gen I - 2 MOA Dot. I shot it in PCC in TX but I need to get it out here but have to wait until the thaw. The Vortex is highly mounted so that you easily see the irons. The Eotech would have been flatter.

Just checking out things on New Year's day.

Looking at this thread, you're only option through EOTech might be to trade it in towards a new unit:
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Essentially EOTECH will not repair sights made prior to 2009. They will take the optic and trade and let you buy the optic or optics combo of your choice as a replacement at 50% of MSRP.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Any of the newer Eotechs worth the money? Basically I liked the lower sight with a circular reticule with a center something in the circle.

Thanks for the thread reference.

I really like my Eotech though they are pretty unpopular in a lot of circles. I think mine is an EXPS3 or something like that but when I look it up it seems to cost way more than I remember paying.

Site Supporter
    Depending on what the issue is, although Io tech doesn’t repair preachy thousand nine size you can sometimes buy the parts.

At 50% off the new EoTechs are worth the money…

The newer ones which use a sideways mounted single CR 23 battery are much more reliable than the older door battery models.

Whether or not, but whether EoTech is a good choice depends on your use. For range use, proactive use when you have time to turn the sight on ahead of time or night vision use they are great.

For use in a grab and go application, where you might not have time to turn the site on there a better options.

Site Supporter
    Or....you can get in touch with me and I'll help you get an optic that works reliably for a good price.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Or....you can get in touch with me and I'll help you get an optic that works reliably for a good price.
    Ha! I did exactly that a few years back.

Glenn, I have an old 512. Use a pencil eraser to clean the battery contacts as best you can. If that doesn't work, there used to be a kit of replacement parts that you could buy for the battery leads. I don't know if that kit is still available or whether that was even an Eotech product or aftermarket. I did that and got mine working. But, my old 512 absolutely consumes batteries, and I went the route suggested by Wayne.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 01-01-2023 at 07:33 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Ha! I did exactly that a few years back.

Glenn, I have an old 512. Use a pencil eraser to clean the battery contacts as best you can. If that doesn't work, there used to be a kit of replacement parts that you could buy for the battery leads. I don't know if that kit is still available or whether that was even an Eotech product or aftermarket. I did that and got mine working. But, my old 512 absolutely consumes batteries, and I went the route suggested by Wayne.
    If you go the parts route be aware there are differences between the pre and post 2009 55x parts, battery box etc.,

Site Supporter
    Well, I took it apart as far as possible without unscrewing things, basically the battery compartment and terminals. Cleaned them as best I could, removing lots of crap. Nada.

See what Eotech says and then make decisions.

Here's my thoughts. I have the current sight on the Ruger. It has a single red dot. I did like the circular reticule with center dot on the Eotech and that's why I thought I'd try it again as a comparison.

Thoughts on a dot vs. the circle and dot on a rifle sight? Uses - probably just pistol carbine competiton - USPSA, IDPA (although the local club doesn't do them), Steel.

Probably not a reach out far gun as I have others for that. Have to wait for the thaw for carbine matches anyway. Could play on the square range though.

Eotech problems

EOTech has been pretty good about repairs on long out of service optics from what I’ve seen posted around the past few years. I’d be surprised if they didn’t help you out.

As far as reticle, I absolutely prefer the circle dot over a single dot but this is definitely personal preference. The single dot has to be super bright for me to acquire quickly, the EOTech does not. Because of that level of brightness for just an RDS, I’ve eaten through many batteries in Aimpoints. The five year thing is only at a low mid to mid brightness setting. My favorite is actually the 3-2, as the second dot is great for hold overs and unders.

I’ve generally seen the same trend with newer shooters - they pick up the donut faster. Certainly not all, but a majority that I’ve taken to the range.

The other thing I think lots of people forget are the benefits of a holographic sight over traditional red dot. Yes, the battery life isn’t there but there are several videos that explain the benefits that Aimpoint and others can’t match because of different technology. Whether that tech is useful for your purpose is certainly debatable but lots of RDS fanboys tend to make the battery life seem like an apples to apples thing when it’s not. I’ve actually picked up my personal guns with Aimpoints that were dead far more than my EOTechs. Of course the Aimpoints get left on where the EOTechs don’t and so I can always see the EOTech’s low battery warning. Again, not apples to apples.

Now all of that said, if it’s not a serious use gun and I don’t already have a functioning optic for it, I’m probably not spending EOTech money on it. But I’m also not spending Aimpoint money on it. It’ll probably get a SPARC Solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List