Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: A new 92--It is SAO

I have no interest. I shoot a 92X Defensive in idpa matches. I could shoot it in SAO form but I don't. I shoot in DA/SA for 2 reasons. 1- I happen to like DA/SA for defense purposes and all our other 92s are DA/SA decock only guns. 2- we get to shoot w/ 15 or 16 rnds in the mags vs 10 or 11 in the class for the SAO form. But for decades Beretta has been asked to sell SAO versions. There have been a few very limited, and usually very expensive, offerings so it was obvious they had the design already done. Lots of people said, hey we know you can do it so please go for it. We will see how the sales are. I for one applaud Beretta for all the offerings they have come out with in the last 6-7 years. Each model fills a different niche in the market so I hope they keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I have no interest. I shoot a 92X Defensive in idpa matches. I could shoot it in SAO form but I don't. I shoot in DA/SA for 2 reasons. 1- I happen to like DA/SA for defense purposes and all our other 92s are DA/SA decock only guns. 2- we get to shoot w/ 15 or 16 rnds in the mags vs 10 or 11 in the class for the SAO form. But for decades Beretta has been asked to sell SAO versions. There have been a few very limited, and usually very expensive, offerings so it was obvious they had the design already done. Lots of people said, hey we know you can do it so please go for it. We will see how the sales are. I for one applaud Beretta for all the offerings they have come out with in the last 6-7 years. Each model fills a different niche in the market so I hope they keep it up.
    Ah, but have you considered: buying a 92XI slide and swapping the Performance Defensive's slide out with it for less traveling mass to repel with your recoil spring?

No I hadn't. Our baby scale isn't accurate enough to weigh just slides but the Defensive slide is what I call a half Brig slide. To get the Defensive down to idpa from the Performance version, they machined metal out of both the frame and the slide. So the slide weight is between a standard slide and a Brig slide. So not a lot to be gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidesaddle Cavalry View Post
    Ah, but have you considered: buying a 92XI slide and swapping the Performance Defensive's slide out with it for less traveling mass to repel with your recoil spring?
    The 92X Performance Defensive slide is actually about 1 oz. lighter than the 92XI slide.

Beretta team shooter Ben Hardt runs a 92XP D slide on a 92XP CO frame and did a comparison:

This makes the Defensive model pretty attractive for an all-around competition gun. I want to buy one but I won't until evidence the extraction issues are resolved. Internet rumors are that a batch of 92XP extractors were improperly heat treated. Also rumors that 92XP extractors are different than other 92s and they are very difficult to obtain from resellers or Beretta.

Oh dear. Well, I wouldn't say this is a completely dire situation, but it does make me hope for a 92xi Centurion model soon. If not for the possible further lightening of a Vertec slide, then at least for the interchangeability with typical 92 extractors and extractor springs.

I don't suppose a Wilson Combat extra power extractor spring solves things like that, would it?

I don't suppose a Wilson Combat extra power extractor spring solves things like that, would it?
    Some folks have had success with those and also adding a metal shim under the spring to further increase the extractor tension. Others have tried all these things without success.

I’d love to know how this shoots compares to a Staccato.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Can't compare the S/A, but I built a 92x centurion G.
    Sent it out to LTT, they did the works :
    Trigger job.
    Flush cut the bbl.
    Their RDO cuts.

At the last match a friend was shooting a prodigy, and asked to try the Beretta ;

His response was that he liked the Beretta, and [he] wished the Springfield had the same DA options.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I am in SW Va in Blacksburg. If you want to take a drive you are more than welcome to shoot my 92X Defensive that I use in idpa matches.

Oh dear. Well, I wouldn't say this is a completely dire situation, but it does make me hope for a 92xi Centurion model soon. If not for the possible further lightening of a Vertec slide, then at least for the interchangeability with typical 92 extractors and extractor springs.

In my Defensive I installed a Wilson extractor spring and also a .010" shim. Mine is fixed.

User Tag List