Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-cock @ start for TDA guns

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Even with the stock FP, Shadow 2 is not drop safe. It just requires higher impact. The design remains the same- hammer needs to hit the FP. The hammer is in direct contact with the FP when the hammer is all the way down regardless of the length of the FP.. People replace their FPs to reduce the probability of the light strikes with light main springs.
    Half-cock start would solve this problem but I don’t expect it from USPSA. They would argue that it would be impossible to in force or similar.
    Well, to be fair, given enough altitude, very little is completely drop safe

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Alternatively, prohibit any modifications that defeat factory dropsafe parameters? (Ducking for cover)
    Ton of guns in Open and Limited do not have a firing pin block feature (i.e. STI 2011’s). Furthermore, a lot of people disable their 2011’s grip safety and solely rely on the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Half-cock start would solve this problem but I don’t expect it from USPSA. They would argue that it would be impossible to in force or similar.
    Write your AD or the entire Board (Board@uspsa.org). If enough members ask for it, they may have to consider it. According to the latest NROI podcast, they stated that while they are aware of what’s being said on social media, they are relying on the member survey and direct communication (i.e. email) with the BOD as their official source for input.

Enforcement is a non-issue. It would basically change the Special Condition in App D4 and D7 to allow DA guns to go to half-cock instead of penalizing them with a bumped to Open. No penalty for somebody that lowers their hammer fully down.

As I just mentioned in another thread, normal quote function is not working for me again. The tag seems to work, @ECK.

Has anybody tested their DA pull weight on a gauge to see if there is a difference between hammer fully down and half-cock?
    Yes, there is a difference. I cannot tell you by how much because I don't have a gauge. I use NRA drop weight set and to quantify the difference with it, I'd need to play with different weights. I was never curious enough but I know that X number of weights that doesn't even move the hammer in fully down position pulls the trigger in half-cock.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

@ECK like @YVK there is a very noticeable difference in half cock weight and length.

It is much easier to get on target faster. But then again, still a compromise over a short striker.

Interesting, using my pull gauge (granted, analogue and not the highest end) I could discern no difference in weight. 6 lbs DA w/ hammer fully down was still 6 lbs at half cock on both my Shadow 2s.

What about a decocker gun like a SP-01 Tactical? Any big diff there between half and full cock?

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Interesting, using my pull gauge (granted, analogue and not the highest end) I could discern no difference in weight. 6 lbs DA w/ hammer fully down was still 6 lbs at half cock on both my Shadow 2s.

What about a decocker gun like a SP-01 Tactical? Any big diff there between half and full cock?
    The biggest difference is going to be in mechanical advantage where the half cock sets the trigger closer to the hand where there’s more leverage. And also the length of travel is shorter.

@ECK

Full hammer down

Name:  C887FE10-C0EC-4786-B3B8-F609E02ACF68.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  73.8 KB

Half notch

Name:  4C6BA69D-E994-4ECA-89C0-D49838FF75A8.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  76.2 KB

I have a RRK in.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I checked my CZ owner’s manual (yeah, I actually opened it…).

CZ refers to the half-cock as the safety-notch, and recommends the hammer be lowered to that point.

Has anybody tested their DA pull weight on a gauge to see if there is a difference between hammer fully down and half-cock?
    It wouldn't hurt to have that very owner's manual right there in your range bag to show to any SRO or MD who questions where you set your hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to have that very owner's manual right there in your range bag to show to any SRO or MD who questions where you set your hammer.
    Unfortunately the rulebook is very specific about this in the Special Conditions in App D4 and D7. One of the 2022/2023 RB proposed changes was to clarify when only lowering your DASA gun to half-cock (if not equipped with a decocker) would get you bumped to Open.

User Tag List