Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well - yesterday didn’t go as expected.

Very sorry for your loss, Brandon.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Hang in there. I'll pray for you. I don't look forward to my turn. At least he knew you loved him, and you know he loved you.

I'm really close with my Dad. And we have talks about how much we matter to each other. We know how valuable our time is, but acknowledge that we'll still want more when it's over. I dont know if he has wishes prepared.

I do need to get my affairs in order. My wife and I are in our 30s.
    I meant to say 30’s or older. I think the intent came across, but it may have not.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I'm very sorry for your loss.

As far as the deputy or officer involved and the coroner, a handwritten note of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Most people don't say thank-you after the initial call. If you feel absolutely compelled, a Dunkin gift card or similar wouldn't go amiss, but getting a note of thanks is rare enough that it would be noticed. I might get maybe one a year, and maybe half a dozen laudatory phone calls.

My deepest condolences.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    My sincere condolences on your loss. I too lost my father not quite three years ago (seems so much more recent).

There is not much I would not give to call him to get a word of advice or help with a task or tell him what his children have done now.

So sorry to hear. My condolences on your loss.

Site Supporter
    On a lighter note - You want to know the other thing?

Use a password manager or buy your parents a password manager (I think this one is the real answer because so much stuff is MFA these days).

Good Lord… I have been scavenging this house to find where accounts were, passwords, etc.

Yesterday I was able to remove the password from his local Windows account, sign in, and find one of hundreds of notepad documents with password information in it to get into his bank account one of a myriad of flash drives… he also had sticky notes with this information.

I remember discussing passwords with him (I meant to get him a password manager. Regrets. It is what it is. I thought about KeePass but shyed away due to I’d prefer cloud based… I just didn’t get back to it in time) and he did write them down but often did not indicate what they were to. I have taken to casually referring to my Father as “Chamber of Secrets” at times with my wife while working through these various things.

Unrelated… is there a way to get into an iPhone? I know years ago basically an MDM managed iPhone could remove the screen code but other then that you were hosed short of erasing the phone.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    All my sympathies to you and yours.

Passwords - I keep a printed file of all my account and device passwords that my family can access. Along with other account numbers, etc. Have a lawyer set up to handle things with a copy of will, medical directive, etc. Paid him a retainer to be on call. Also for SD. My kid across country has a house key and alarm access. I also gave her a credit card for her expenses if she has to fly out here after some crisis. Hopefully, she is mature enough not to buy an expensive guitar (long time ago).

Remember the good times.

My condolences man.

This year has been a rough one for me too. I took 3 months off work to care for my paternal Grandfather that was diagnosed with end of life brain cancer. In the midst of that ordeal, my father unexpectedly passed away from a massive heart attack. We didn't find him for two days. My grandfather passed 6 weeks later.

I went from being a minimally responsible grandson in the family to estate manager for both, and essentially the family patriarch at the age of 39.

Shit sucks on so many levels.

Re: LEO and coroner, FWIW: when my old man died, the paramedics worked on him for a long time. Longer than I probably would have. I know, because I read the ECG ticker tape left behind. When a few days later, we had more gumbo, baked ziti, etc. than we could use, I brought a bunch of food down to the station. They assured me it would get eaten and thanked me for the thought.

Not so sure about a coroner, but I have occasionally gotten a nice personal note from a client in this career and the former, and it's always made my day, just to know that I made enough of a difference in someone's day to prompt the vote.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List