Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 2022 stock market, not so good.

I like to shop for stock bargains at the end of the year because that's when a lot of folks sell their losers for tax purposes. But even after the "worst year in a decade" I am still having trouble finding reasonably priced stocks of companies I understand & want to own...

… but hey, no more mean tweets!

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Sigh, oh well, despite being retired, wife and I seem to subsist OK on our pensions and hobby job income. Guess we’ll let the 401Ks perk a little longer until better days.
    Many, many of us don’t have pensions and must solely rely on 401Ks and / or IRAs. I certainly don’t begrudge those that do, but I do wonder if that provides some with a buffer at the ballot box.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    On the whole, we can't complain.
    I am taking your comment seriously but I will just say that it's a bit early to judge where all this is going and I am seeing lots of press that paints a very dark picture from sources who ought to know. This has the potential to make 2008 look like a picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    … but hey, no more mean tweets!

Many, many of us don’t have pensions and must solely rely on 401Ks and / or IRAs. I certainly don’t begrudge those that do, but I do wonder if that provides some with a buffer at the ballot box.

I have a federal pension, indexed to inflation. Yes, it is a godsend. When I started my career it was not much of a consideration to a 25 year old. Now I realize its true worth, despite the fact that we have invested since the 80's.

That said, I vote for the party, (almost always, and certainly in the last decade or more), that would be more likely to imperil my pension given their druthers.

There are some things more important (to my wife and me) than simply our well being.

(But I'm done voting for douche nozzles who have no respect for the law, the Constitution and what it means to be an American.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

22 washed out a bunch of day traders:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rookie-...ed-11672513272
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I am taking your comment seriously but I will just say that it's a bit early to judge where all this is going and I am seeing lots of press that paints a very dark picture from sources who ought to know. This has the potential to make 2008 look like a picnic.

I am not predicting, nor trying to predict the future. In general I am not sanguine about the prospects for the United States, let alone the world. But I've been down the "this time it's different" route for many decades.

When I said that "on the whole we can't complain", I meant that literally. Our health is good, despite recent bouts with COVID, our investments were down about 7.5% from whatever our all-time high was...and that's simply because we don't need to take as much risk in equities as we did when we were still working and building our nest egg, and because we have more than enough income to live well within our means.

Yes, things may go from bad to worse and the future is unknown...but on the whole, we can't complain (yet).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    22 washed out a bunch of day traders:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rookie-...ed-11672513272
    That's like playing poker except no one is dealing with a million variables.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a federal pension, indexed to inflation. Yes, it is a godsend. When I started my career it was not much of a consideration to a 25 year old. Now I realize its true worth, despite the fact that we have invested since the 80's.

That said, I vote for the party, (almost always, and certainly in the last decade or more), that would be more likely to imperil my pension given their druthers.

There are some things more important (to my wife and me) than simply our well being.

(But I'm done voting for douche nozzles who have no respect for the law, the Constitution and what it means to be an American.)
    Totally with you. Hating public employees, especially public safety employees who earn a decent wage and have a pension, is some sort of unspoken litmus test for Republican candidates around here. They go out of their way to piss off and alienate a voter block that is generally very well educated, pays attention, votes at a very high rate, and has overall conservative values (in my part of the country; YMMV elsewhere). The public safety unions/associations around here almost universally backed Dems in spite of disagreeing with most of their social agenda, simply because the Rs always vow to cut wages, make public safety at-will employees, and eliminate pensions. When your vote directly impacts your paycheck right now, it's tough to sell the concept that the Dem agenda will ultimately be more destructive. Not many of us took the long view.

User Tag List